Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaycube

Options
  • 16-04-2001 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

HHHHMMMMMMMM let me see there so many problems About the gaycube(gamecube).problem 1:it's purple

2:It has a womans strap on it

3:The controler is badly deformed

4:Suprise suprise marios a launch game & zelda too

5:They say its out in july(japan)what happened to the 64 it took a year to come out!

6:and guess what chimpokemons is going to be there bigest game(typical)!

7:no dvd aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh come on every console has one!!!!!!!!

8:No fu<king Internet!!i mean every console definetly hav that!!!

Thanx for da time smile.gif

SSSLLLAAASSSHHHH!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

1. its available in different colors

2. Its a funky design - better than the drabness of PS2 and XBox

3. the same was said about the n64's

4. hardly a bad thing, is it?

6. without pokemon, nintento might be in segas position, be grateful.

7. would you pay an extra £100 for poor quality dvd playback - most people already have a DVD player.

8. It has plenty of expansion ports.

And there's no use comparing the GC to the PS2 or X-Box - it was designed and is beign marketed as a Games Console, nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

9 NINTENDO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Vega

Mario is crap and always will be crap and I want nintendo to be in the same position as sega.and by the way who ever said strretfighter was a flagship for nintendo is wrong,streetfighter was also on another console a great console too the sega megadrive.and i hardly think that a purple box with a strap on it is stylish it sounds like a seventies handbag.and pokemon is not a great game it gets boring within an hour of playing
    Vega

SSSLLLAAASSSHHHH!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭tobi

Which console will you be getting Vega Ps2 or X-box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Vega

Both Actually Their Both Quality Consoles I Only Wish I Could Say The Same About The GayCube!

SSSLLLAAASSSHHHH!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Vega:
    and by the way who ever said strretfighter was a flagship for nintendo is wrong,streetfighter was also on another console a great console too the sega megadrive.</font>

What I think I said was one of the flagship games on the SNES, therefore implying that there were other games and even possibly other versions of the same game. It was on the SNES before the Megadrive, and people were paying up to and over £70 for a copy of the SNES version of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Vega seems to be acting the dip****.
    UP NINTENDO!

If there's one thing I hate, it's people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Sliotar

ya but he is right about 1 thing, the design of the GC is just awful, i mean it really is BAD. i find it hard to see how anybody (outside of japan wink.gif) could argue otherwise. ps2 and x-box may be drab, ugly even, but you could still put them underneath the telly fairly comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Kind of ironic that a character from one of the flagship games on the SNES is slagging off Nintendo's next venture

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

While Vega has put his points across fairly crudely he does have a point. However good Mario and Zelda are when it's launched if Nintendo don't build up good support from the other big developers then it's sunk.

The lack of dvd/internet is no big deal right now (it has yet to be seen that it's a big reason why people buy consoles). It's the quality and quantity of the software available for it.

What could happen is that Nintendo will aim the gamecube at the sub 20 yearold market. Makes sense with Pokémon anyway and leave the "living room hub" market (mostly dominated by the over 20 yearolds) for the x-box and PS2. But it still doesn't look good for the gamecube.

The Gameboy advance should do well though despite it's lack of internet, as Nintendo have the portable market sewn up, especially with the promising SNK machine no longer in production.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭RAY

i thought vega was a bit harsh there one of the main points of making a new console is to make the design different to their last console, Nintendo could have picked a better name for it though "GameCube"?!?!?!?. And the reason they are launching Zelda and Mario as the flagship games is that it got a huge responce from the public. Zelda and Mario are trademark characters of nintendo. So Nintendo are just given what the public wants. And WTF does the dvd have to do with a console that plays games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

Yeah, no1 wants to pay an extra £100 for a fairly **** DVD on there console. My friend has a ps2, i've seen the DVD playback on it and its nothing compared to my (mid range standard) DVD player on my pc.
    Also, he had to buy a New TV just to get the ps2 working on it.
    And excuse me but pervious incarnations of Mario and zelda are some of the greatest games ever made, you can expect the GameCube versions to be just a fun with ppl like Miyamoto (cant spell that smile.gif )working on them.
    They really should have kept the name Dolphin imo, but seeing as they're aiming Pacificaly for the younger market , (unlike sony or sega) you can understand why its named as such.
    As far as design, do u really give a flying **** what it looks like ? once it has good games like, thats all most ppl are intrested in.

GO NINTENDO !!!

[This message has been edited by havok* (edited 17-04-2001).]

I think PlayStation 2 is a really kewl and original name!!!

rolleyes.gif

well havok i wouldnt mind buying a console with a crap dvd for a £100. but the point im trying to make is vega said gamecube is crap basically because they dont have a dvd and the whole point in a console is to play games and entertain u by playing the games,and if theres a dvd thrown in well thats fine with me smile.gif.But the thing is dvd player has nothing at all to do with games

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Vega:
    HHHHMMMMMMMM let me see there so many problems About the gaycube(gamecube).
    </font>
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    problem 1:it's purple
    </font>
    no other console is purple. this makes gamecube origional.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">2:It has a womans strap on it</font>
    therefore it must be a crap console? what!?
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">3:The controler is badly deformed</font>
    nintendo make the best controllers in the world. the snes introduced shoulder buttons, now everyone has them. then n64 introduced anology stick. now everyone uses them. the n64 introduced rumble paks. now everyone uses them. nintendo do not make bad controlers.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">4:Suprise suprise marios a launch game & zelda too</font>
    this makes me want a gamecube.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">5:They say its out in july(japan)what happened to the 64 it took a year to come out!</font>
    when it is released it is released. be patient. buy a Dreamcast until then, and cash in on tsega downfall... all the great games will go very cheap soon.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">6:and guess what chimpokemons is going to be there bigest game(typical)!</font>
    the gamecube is aimed at 8-12 year olds. pokemon is aimed at 8-12 year olds.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">7:no dvd aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh come on every console has one!!!!!!!!</font>
    ps2 needs u to put in a cd, load up the dvd player, then put in a dvd. and the picture from a ps2 dvd is **** poor. if u want to watch movies buy a dvd player. the gamecube doesnt use cd's (it does use flat round discs however)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">8:No fu<king Internet!!i mean every console definetly hav that!!!</font>
    no. x box doesnt. ps2 doesnt. dreamcast does. and its a piece of cack. (the net, not the dc)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Thanx for da time smile.gif</font>
    shut up u mong.

- Dead Bank Clerk -
    [clergy]Altar Boy
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll
    be warm for a day. Set a man on
    fire, and he'll be warm for the
    rest of his life."

[This message has been edited by DeadBankClerk (edited 19-04-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeadBankClerk:
    ps2 needs u to put in a cd, load up the dvd player, then put in a dvd. and the picture from a ps2 dvd is **** poor. if u want to watch movies buy a dvd player. the gamecube doesnt use cd's (it does use flat round discs however)

</font>

ummm no it doesn't .. u slap in the DVD and it plays ... simple as that ..... the quality depend entirly onthe DVD disc it's self, I have a sh!tload of DVD@s adn some have great quality other are not that impressive, i've checked them on my puter that has a DVD drive in it as well, and the same quality .
    teh DVD drive in the ps2 isn't the greatest but when you ahve a system that you can play games,watch films and have some GREAT sound coming fro it, it's not bad at all ..

All of the above reply is in Megatrons Humble opinion.

No !!!!! I will crush you with my Bare hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Well considering what your getting for the price, the PS1 was around £350 when it first came out, you didnt get any extras with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Megatron, I think that you're missing the point here a bit. You say that your PC plays the DVDs just as well as the PS2, proving that the PS2 is good; I think that you'll find that 99% of folk with any cop-on regarding AV gear will think of this the opposite way.

Namely, the very fact that your PS2 plays those discs as badly as the PC does proves just how crap its decoder is smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭StarScream

i have a ps2 (and love it) and i can honestly say im looking forward to gamecube more than anything iv ever looked forward to.ever.
    u can say what u want about the design have u noticed how small it is in pictures it does look big but its really tiny.u cant criticise mario and zelda they were the best games on the n64 and they will sell the machine to the japanese public
    the format it uses are mini dvds with which there is nothing wrong,apparently they are pirate proof,cheaper and it would be very difficult to fill a dvd anyway without a loada useless cut scenes and nintendo will get the 3rd party support this time as the GC is really easy to develope for(which means the machine will see greater games earlier)and they have a more developer friendly format.in my opinion the n64 was the greatest console ever..it just didnt get the success i hope nintendo get it right this time

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by StarScream:
    i have a ps2 (and love it) and i can honestly say im looking forward to gamecube more than anything iv ever looked forward to.ever.
    u can say what u want about the design have u noticed how small it is in pictures it does look big but its really tiny.</font>

So what? Do you honestly think people think size matters when it comes to consoles? Do you think people who have the original PS1 are going out buying the smaller version? Beauty after all is only case deep - it's what's inside that matters.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">u cant criticise mario and zelda they were the best games on the n64 and they will sell the machine to the japanese public</font>

No argument here, they do indeed rock, but little came afterwards of notable merit.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">the format it uses are mini dvds with which there is nothing wrong,apparently they are pirate proof,cheaper and it would be very difficult to fill a dvd anyway without a loada useless cut scenes </font>

So you're saying that a proprietary non-standard DVD mutant is going to be cheaper to produce and that having a lower capacity is a good thing?
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">and nintendo will get the 3rd party support this time as the GC is really easy to develope for(which means the machine will see greater games earlier)and they have a more developer friendly format.</font>

It's still early days yet but just cos it's easy to develop for doesn't mean it'll sell big. After all the Amiga 500 (blessed be it's name) is a piece of pi5s to program on yet where is it now? (in a box in my bedroom actually)

The PS2 sold like hot cakes and there were (and still are) relatively few games for it. In my mind (and with the benefit of hindsight) the reasons the PS2 sold so well were:

1. Sony's as per usual excellent marketing hype combining it's reputable brand name and a very striking ad campaign.

2. Backwards compatiblity with the huge PS1 catalogue. This in turn meant it was less of risk to buy. Even if the new games were cack, you could still crank out a game of Tekken 3.

3. DVD playback, as Shinji says it's not comparible to a decent dedicated DVD player but most punters don't care. They just want DVD playback. Most people have a cd player hifi. Only hardcore music fans buy dedicated seperates. Therefore if you really want decent DVD playback your going to pay more for it. That said the lack of RGB output is simply inexcusable.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">in my opinion the n64 was the greatest console ever..it just didnt get the success i hope nintendo get it right this time</font>

I hope the gamecube does succeed, but in the mass market 3 is usually a crowd and as 3DO and more recently Sega realised 4 consoles is totally insane.

It's a bit of a catch 22 situation:
    Developers won't develop for your console if there's not many consoles out there. People won't buy your console unless there's good games for it and lots of them. The PS2 did this with the above reasons.

The N64 did well but was blown out of the water by the PS1. There's nothing to indicate Nintendo have learnt any lessons.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">you think people who have the original PS1 are going out buying the smaller version?</font>

Actually, they are. The sales figures are bloody scary.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Beauty after all is only case deep - it's what's inside that matters.</font>

I disagree. What's inside doesn't matter a damn. It's what's in the jewel cases in your local game shop that matters. Software sells hardware.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">No argument here, they do indeed rock, but little came afterwards of notable merit.</font>

Conveniently ignoring the entirety of the rest of Rare and Ninty's output?
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">So you're saying that a proprietary non-standard DVD mutant is going to be cheaper to produce and that having a lower capacity is a good thing?</font>

About the same price to produce (it's not proprietary as such, it's the DVD-Single format) and the lower capacity is still huge by storage standards. It's a good thing in that piracy isn't a problem, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper to produce than cartridges. The other issues aren't a problem, realistically.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">After all the Amiga 500 (blessed be it's name) is a piece of pi5s to program on yet where is it now?</font>

Actually the Amiga platform was a roaring success for its lifespan. Commodore hit financial problems and didn't make any more of them, but that doesn't mean that the platform wasn't a massive hit. The ease of use of the hardware was a very major factor in this.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">if you really want decent DVD playback your going to pay more for it.</font>

PlayStation 2 - £300
    Scan SC-2000 DVD Player - £149
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">There's nothing to indicate Nintendo have learnt any lessons.</font>

They don't need to. They already know more about selling game software and hardware and making a profit from it than Sony and Microsoft will EVER know.

Gameboy - the most popular, successful and long-lived console ever. GB titles still top the charts now, twelve years after the console was launched.

GameBoy Advance - selling like hotcakes. Nothing is going to touch this baby for sheers hardware and software sales. Wait until it gets Zelda, Doom, Pokemon and so on, and then watch the sucker fly...

Nintendo 64 - overshadowed by the PSone perhaps, but not aiming for the same market anyway. Home to some of the best games of the last five years, and turned in a spectacular profit for Ninty. Still actually selling quite well.

Gamecube - cheap, powerful machine aimed at gamers, with the development support of Ninty and Rare and - this time around - a lot of third-party enthusiasm. GBA connectivity; you NEED a GameCube to make the most of several GBA titles, including (get this) the planned Pokemon games. There's 10 million units sold already...

Yamauchi has forgotten more about this industry than Kutaragi and Blackwell know between them.

yeah dbc ur discription of the ps2 dvd is the launch version of the jap and american launch. The japan one was worse u had to put in a different disc first then the dvd had to run through the memory card then to back to ur ps2 and then to ur screen :/. But wat do u expect from a console? And the point about the controller im guessing ur thinking the one that looks like a ps controller with the 2 analogs sticking out Nintendo said the design are not final. And like who the feuck would not want to play the next Zelda and Mario game.

LADS, MAKE SOME NOISE!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

I think the neo geo was the longest living console , having come out in early 89, could be wrong , but i love my old neo geo , it deserves some respect , even tho it was far from popular :P

DVD playback on a ps2 tho .... no one really cares , not anyone who buys the machine, its kinda like a hook, you get your games machine and if you want to bother you can throw a DVD in there and watch something , they don't promise it will be a revelation but it does the job.

Ps1 came out for 350
    Ps2 was 380 , lets say the difference is your DVD player that you never asked for but got anyway , 30 quid ain't bad.
    I know this isn't exactly perfect but had the machine not got a DVD player , it would still have come out at 350-380 anyway.

Ireland still being mostly in the dark ages of VHS, the ps2 is a nice and easy way to slide into the DVD age. I really don't think anyone should complain.

As for the ninty complainers, i used to love 'em , don't anymore , i still have the intelligence to know that they are going to sell, and i'll probably buy one for zelda since its still a semi-adulty game-y thing-y

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭StarScream

as i was goin thru ur post amp i was thinking of answers to all ur valid points but then shingi read my mind i couldnt have said it better myself
    what im most excited about is the fact that nintendo arnt saying this is going to be a multimedia machine this is going to be a GAMES machine, which the name reflects,and when nintendo are concentrating on games people should be excited
    i tell u ill be the first in the queue next spring and when ppl see the games theyll join me

Responding to Shinji the biyatch smile.gif :

So people are seriously buying the same machine as a direct replacement for their original. Not buying an extra one for the bedroom or something? My point was that the actual size of a console doesn't matter.

My point about the case was just that. The case styling is irrelevant. I added "it's what's inside that matters" as a little joke.
    See, it's like a pun on "Beauty is skin deep...etc.." Besides where do the games go? smile.gif (safety smiley included to indicate another "joke")

I didn't ignore Rare and Nintys output but I suspose I should have added IMHO after that comment as that is my opinion not an attempt to state a fact.

Less storage is still less storage though. The PS2 has more storage so will the X-box.

And to be honest I'd rather have full DVD playback than possible piracy prevention.
    Anyway if this is as you say an an industry standard format surely there will be burners in the future for it? Having a slightly different format doesn't automatically exclude piracy. Sure people were able to copy the N64's cartridges.

I was trying to compare the Amiga 500 with current platforms. If the Amiga 500 was released now is what I meant. A bad example however. My point stands though, just because you've got a lot of developer support doesn't mean success. The 3DO had a lot of third-party enthusiasm, they had Panasonic and other big companies going to make it. It was to be the future of gaming and yet it failed, for a lot of different reasons.

Jesus Shinji I was agreeing with you here and yet your still slating me. Let's not forget the DVD playback in the PS2 is an added extra to a games console. Plus what bugs said.

I never questioned Nintendo's ability to survive as a company. The Gameboy/Gameboy Advance are incredible machines that have a market almost entirely to themselves. They will continue to dominate as there is no alternative.

The points I made were directed at the Gamecube and the lessons from the relative lack of success of the Nintendo 64. The world of the console is changing rapidly.

Atari famously had to dump 1000's of cartridges in the desert because the market changed. Nintendo may face the possiblity that people will want more from a console than just games.

If people go into a shop and see 3 consoles: PS2, X-box and GC are they going to chose the one without net access and DVD playback?
    Of course pricing will be a factor, but if the GC starts to do well Sony and M$ can and most likely will cut prices.

Games are also a factor. But is this still true? Why then did the PS2 sell so well?

I'm now so upset that I'm going off to Humanities to sulk. *sniff*

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

They don't need to. They already know more about selling game software and hardware and making a profit from it than Sony and Microsoft will EVER know

yeah I guess the sony should have taken a few tips from nintendo then the Playstation would have been as great a profit machine as the N64

and as for saying that someone knows more than another company will ever know - Im sure ppl used to say the same about the Atrai and saga

The world never stops changing and different companys will be better at different times

and I have never seen the sence in people who say I LOVE COMPANY X and will anyways love them, after all at the end of the day - they are only out to get as much money off you as they can smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

You probably would expect nintendo to know alot about sales and stuff when it comes to consoles , but they're still a company who want to make money and as such they blew it with the N64.

They lowered supply so hype drove ppl up the wall then hammered the stores with machines, it could be said that its exactly what sony did and perhaps they did copy them.
    But nintendo chose to go the way of the underage games, they chopped games that developers actually wanted to make for them for this reason , onimusha springs to mind.

They have in my opinion gone done a bad road as of late, going with a standardised media puts them in the same position again as regards cd's versus carts , now its optical disk thingy versus DVD's.
    Sure , they will probably put more of an effort into compressing and whatnot but you're still left with a limited amount of space and it is far from being piracy proof.

I'd stake that in 4 months after the machine hits the shelves that some company in china/hong kong will have started producing blanks or some form of burner for those CD's at a tiny price, they always do and will.

Nintendo will probably/...definetly do well , but thats not to say they couldn't do better.

The main reason N64 failed was that the console was aimed at the younger audiences and so was most of the games and this did not appeal to some of us more "mature" smile.gif gamers and u have to say the games for N64 are stupidly over priced like for Zelda the game was £60. Zelda was a great game and it sold tons.But £60 quid is a lot to ask for a computer game i know some peeps will say their parents bought it for them well for some of us out there where not so lucky frown.gif

LADS, MAKE SOME NOISE!!!!!

Let's get one thing straight before continuing this discussion.

The N64 did not fail. It made a lot of cash for Nintendo; it also turned a profit for several of the third-party companies, such as Acclaim and THQ. The system sold strongly, consistently, and just because it was eclipsed somewhat by the meteoric rise of the PSX doesn't mean it "failed".

I don't think any N64 owner would describe themselves as disappointed with the gaming goodness of the console over its lifespan.

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RAY:
    But £60 quid is a lot to ask for a computer game...</font>

I really hope we won't have people who paid £380 for a games console using that point as an argument... wink.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement