Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaycube

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Personally I'd prefer paying more for the console and less for the games. I'd save money in the long run.

I think when most people say that the N64 failed they tend to mean that Nintendo have failed to remain the dominent force in home consoles.

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

[This message has been edited by amp (edited 23-04-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭StarScream

look i wanna get one thing straight!
    just cause the GC doesnt come with net access doesnt mean it wont
    tthere are 2 expansion bays at the bottom, 1 for slotting in a 56k modem and another for a cable upgrade,it took the DC nearly a year to get the internet up and running, nintendos strategy is the same as sonys they wanna see will the "broadband revolution" take place
    AND nintendo are still undecided as to package one of these upgrades with the machine
    so please dont point out "no internet access" as a fault in the gamecube..its in an identical position to ps2 and xbox

[This message has been edited by StarScream (edited 23-04-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Prof.Frink

Glaven Okkoy This is for starscream gamecube wont have the net-even the prez of there creative team said so!!!!

Ps2 is going on line in japan in july and hopfully in Ireland by september!

Stop your childish habits starscream!

Glaven
    Calm yourself Frinky these babies will be out in the store while he's trying to tackle the pickle matrix

Glaven

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

not only did i throw out hundreds of amiga games yesterday, but i threw out the amiga. and not only that, i threw out an amstrad 6128 as well.
    now there goes a bit of 'puting history out my front door smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Sliotar

in fairness the n64 was something of a failure. if it were some other unknown company behind the n64, and not nintendo, then it would be branded a total success. but you're talking about nintendo here. in 1990 they were making more money than all the holywood studios combined. they were selling 60 million copies of mario3 with ease. they were one of THE dominant forces on the japanese stock markets. they did not achieve with the n64 what they had achieved in the past. they may have made a tidy profit, and the company is still going strong. But they had something of a fall from grace. They lost a market which they had complete control over, a highly lucrative market, to sony. i would call that a failure. twas a good console tho...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The Console thing - it was really for kids and "gamers" before Sony came along and as Rob said, created a whole new market for themselves - suddenly *everyone* has a PlayStation and were all having drunken battles of Teken or whatever - it became socially acceptable!!!

The N64 did very well in the same market as the SNES (and the NES before that). The GameCube will (hopefully) do better and now that Sony's made the whole console thing wide open, they'll maybe make headway into the big chunk that Sony occupies.

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

[url="http://http:clanhitk.warfactory.com"][honey i] violated [the kids][/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Nintendo are making a smart decision with the gamecube. The last thing we need is another lump of black plastic to sit alon with the hi-fi and dvd player.

Microsoft and Sony have much deeper pockets than nintendo and they are both eager to capture the adult market - if nintendo tried to do the same, they would most likely fail.

Making a games console targeted a the younger age group makes far more sense (and nintendo have more experience in that market).

Carry handle and all, the gamecube will hopefully be a success.

Eye ham zee Walroos.
    You ham zee Flyhead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Actually, while I agree totally with your sentiments, I should point out that Ninty can actually afford to throw a lot more money at GC than MS or Sony can. Nintendo have $6.4 *BILLION* sitting in cash reserves in the bank; they just choose to keep it for a genuinely rainy day, and spend more on software development than on hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

shiny could ya post where you got these fact please ?

not that I disbelive you or anything - its just that I need something a bit firmer than 'bloke on the internet said' to back up thought that nintendo have more disposable cash than Mircrosoft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭RAY

Ping i dont know what u are on about the playstation out sold the N64 by miles and so did the games. The PS have been here 6 years and is still goeing where is the N64 now ? Lots of games are still coming out for PS but only a few for N64.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭RAY

And the plastation was supposed to be a upgrade for the Snes and still out sold the N64 and was Sonys first machine in the console market I think they did pretty tongue.gif

Can you stop calling me Shiny? smile.gif

Well, if you want to quote where you got the fact, it's in this weeks CTW (Computer Trade Weekly, worlds biggest games industry trade magazine). However since I wrote that piece, I guess that doesn't help back it up much... the original information came from Nikkei.net, and was syndicated on Bloomberg Japan and possibly on Japan Today late last week. Took me aback somewhat as well, but speaking to NCL folk confirmed it - Nintendo have deep pockets, they just don't like reaching into them.

Bear in mind that Microsoft and Sony do have deeper pockets than this, it's just that they're probably not prepared to blow them all on Xbox/PS2 respectively as they have other lines of business. Nintendo have the financial advantage through being a pure games company.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">in 1990 they were making more money than all the holywood studios combined</font>

No they weren't. Not by a LONG shot. The entire games industry only overtook the profits of the film industry a year ago.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">they were selling 60 million copies of mario3 with ease</font>

No they weren't. Would have been a hell of an achievement given that they hadn't sold anywhere NEAR 60 million consoles capable of playing Mario 3...
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">they were one of THE dominant forces on the japanese stock markets</font>

Not really, in fairness. Even SCEI isn't a huge force on the Japanese stock market, as such - not compared to the massive manufacturing giants like Masu****a, Yamaha, Nissan and NEC.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">lost a market which they had complete control over, a highly lucrative market, to sony</font>

Fair enough - except that Sony didn't really aim at the same market as Nintendo at all. Ninty aimed the N64 at the same market as the SNES, and did very well indeed in that sector. Sony created a whole new market for themselves, pitching the Playstation as a lifestyle product with massive success.

I dunno Shiney, Microsoft could be banking a lot on the X-box for reasons mentioned earlier. Sony's income from the psx is a fairly large proportion of it's total revenue stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

yea shinny your full of poo-poo!

how canw e check some random Japeneese paper! If it were on bloomberg then more people on the planet than you and some random asian newspaper would have picked it up would they not!

I take it you read Bloomberg Japan then Joe? It's my JOB to make sure I'm up to date with what's going on on Bloomberg, Nikkei.net etc...

Amp, MS are indeed pushing a lot of cash behind Xbox - $0.5bn for the launch marketing, for a start, and possibly up to $4bn in loss leading over the first 4 years. It's unlikely that Ninty will touch those figures, simply because they don't feel that they need to, and they like having cash close at hand - they purchased their new office buildings (in Kyoto, iirc) last year for cash (literally - they used suitcases of banknotes), for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

'they used suitcases of banknotes'

lol - ohh so 80's - why didnt they just forward a bank note or something :\ do they know that you dont actually have to have the cash in your hand to buy stuff now ?

would have been more funny if they drove up with lorries of 10 yen coins or something ... here count this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭StarScream

when did this become a discussion about how much money nintendo have?

Apparently the Nintento president suggested the Gamecube project would be put on hold if it didn't make a big splash at E3.

I'm actually happy about this. Not because we may never see the Gamecube - but because it shows that Nintendo doesn't want to disappoint and wants to be proud of the Gamecube. I've little doubt that we will see the Gamecube, hopefully with some Mario and Zelda at E3, it should go down well.

I also heard that Nintendo are unhappy with how Metroid (the first person shooter - don't get me started) was progressing... hope it turns out to be good, i loved metroid

Eye ham zee Walroos.
    You ham zee Flyhead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Digital Tilmitt

I think all the Consols are full of ****, but I'm getting a PS2 for Final Fantasy X. I was Tempted to buy a Gamecube cause you can get them in pink and that would be really cool! **** off to all those who hate Pink.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭SHAMAN

I HATE PINK!!!!!!!
    IT'S SO DISGUSTINGLY CUTE AND CUDDLY.
    YEEEUUUCCHH!! But i am a very nice person(or so i'm told).....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Sliotar

shinji/shiny smile.gif are u sure bout ninti not making more money than all the holywood studios combined back in the 1990? im obviously not talking from experience, i just read it in a book about nintendo, "game over" i think it was called. it seemed fairly reliable to me. it was written about 10 years ago, just as nintendo were rumoured to be experimenting with something called the playstation x with sony. oh and i take your point about sony creating their own market to an extent. i suppose the aul' n64 was'nt a total flop wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Fortitude

m here to defend the glory of sonys empire all ye fu**s who say the ps2 (i have 1) is ugly are all colour blind it is not only a console but a fasion item when you join it up with the official vertial stand it becomes amaing the purfect combination of purple and black is just wow. the gaycube is flourescent purple i mean how sad can you get??? and the x-box microsoft are losing money in the computer buisness so they turn to the consoles the x-boxs controllers are an eye and hand sore and the console itself is hideous all the x-box games are available on the pc anyway so why buy one?

Firstly, sony would have been far better basing the look of the PS2 on one of their dvd players than what it looks like as is.

Secondly, as has been already said, the Gamecube is available in different colours.

Thirdly, Microsoft are making profit in the computer market. And fron what I've seen, the X-Box controller seems to be very sidewinderish, hardly an uncomfortable controller, eh?

And with Microsoft chucking money at developers, I'm sure we'll see more than just PC games.

And to a great extent, the less said about the PS2 games catalogue the better.

Eye ham zee Walroos.
    You ham zee Flyhead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Pix

Personally I think the X-Box looks way cooler than the PS2 and the PS2 is so underpowered it doesn't matter what it looks like anyway smile.gif

X-Box is going to blow them all away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Pix

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by amp:
    The Gameboy/Gameboy Advance are incredible machines that have a market almost entirely to themselves. They will continue to dominate as there is no alternative.</font>

I really HAVE to disagree with you there. The Gameboy never was and will be an 'incredible' machine. It was massively successful yes, but on the technical front it was severely lacking. The Atari Lynx and Sega Game Gear were far superior, but sadly failed to take the market by storm in the way Gameboy did. Why I will never know... I never really saw the point of handheld gaming.

Same goes fo rthe Gameboy Advance. They're basically selling you a repackaged and slightly overhauled SNES. Hardly amazing...?

actually, there is apparently very little to seperate the PS2/X-Box and GC performance wise, its down to marketing budgets and games.

And the gameboy was an amazing machine. Bear in mind that it was released over 10 years ago and is still selling extremely well today. Obviously it has been technically surpassed by more modern hand-helds, but the fact that is has dominated the market shows how marvelous it is.

Last point: The more screenshots that are released for upcoming GBA games, the less I believe that the GBA is a handheld snes.

I recently downloaded a GBA emu with a technical demo ROM and I was quite stunned. I'll post the urls up later if its ok with the moderators (the emu author isn't distributing commercial roms)

Eye ham zee Walroos.
    You ham zee Flyhead.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">the purfect combination of purple and black is just wow</font>

It looks like Black Forest Gateau, but with ribbed bits and not half as tasty. "Darth Vaders Toaster" is the best description I've seen of it.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">the gaycube is flourescent purple i mean how sad can you get</font>

Gamecube comes in a whole variety of different colours.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">microsoft are losing money in the computer buisness</font>

Actually they're making more than any, and are one of the single richest companies in the world.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">the x-boxs controllers are an eye and hand sore</font>

The design is a matter of personal taste (I think the Xbox gear looks great, personally) but I can confirm that the Xbox controller is very comfortable to hold and use.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">all the x-box games are available on the pc anyway</font>

Not true, very few of the titles I've seen will also be released on the PC. I expect that there will be no more Xbox-PC crossovers than there were Dreamcast-PC crossovers.

(Gameboy Stuff)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">It was massively successful yes, but on the technical front it was severely lacking</font>

Sure; it wasn't as powerful as some other handhelds, but it was cheap and very easy to code for, being Z80 based. *Technically* it wasn't an incredible console, but in terms of software and market penetration, it's a stunner.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">They're basically selling you a repackaged and slightly overhauled SNES</font>

Utterly untrue. Some journalists saw an interview where Miyamoto and Yamauchi said that GBA was "of comparable power" to the SNES, and started calling it a "miniature SNES" - which is not true in the slightest. GBA is actually much more like a miniature Acorn RISC-PC, using the ARM architecture and so on. While the launch titles were of similar capability to the SNES, with F-ZERO, Mario Kart and so on, some of the later titles are more hi-octane than anything the SNES ever did - seen the videos of Small Rockets' 4x4 Offroad GBA title? Fully 3D voxel landscapes, free-roaming, 3D polygon cars etc... It would have looked bloody impressive on the PC a couple of years back, never mind a dinky little handheld!

And so this thread, while full of controversy, inaccuracy (admittedly some by yours truly) ends, due to the extreme boredom I get from seeing it everytime I go into games.

Besides if it had a point to start with it, it has since descended into seemingly endless ranting about which console is the best, worst or most homosexual.

Besides as Shinji gets most of his info through his games related job and the rest of us get our info of the back of a packet of cornflakes there is very little point in arguing with him. wink.gif

Complaints, written on the back of a Megadrive to the above e-mail address.

[This message has been edited by amp (edited 08-05-2001).]

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement