Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wired Magazine - Consoles.

Options
  • 10-05-2001 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Don't know if the US version of Wired is different, but they have a really cool section on Consoles.

From how they started, to who were the big players at what time and what the future holds (like X-Box will have built in parental control).

Some quotes...

Warren Robinett (consumer game designer, Atari): It was a died-and-gone-to-heaven type job. But around 1979, the designers started getting uptight. We were just getting salaries - no royalties, not even pizza - While Atari was making hundreds of millions of dollars. They wouldn't even put the designers' names on the box. I put up with so much bull**** to get Adventure produced that I hid my name behind a dot in the game. It was the first easter egg in a videogame.

Nolan Bushnell (founder, Atari): To this day, people hear "Nolan Bushnell" and they think "That's the guy who ****ed up Atari." I was gone years before they ****ed up Atari.

Gail Tilden (VP, marketing, Nintendo): We did everything we could to avoid being associated with Atari. We wouldn't even call it a videogame. It had to be called an entertainment system. Game cartridges became gamepacks.

Micheal Katz (president, Sega of America): We needed a character to introduce with Genisis and compete with Mario. Nobody knew who Sonic was. American kids didn't even know what a Hedgehog was, but it didn't matter.

Jim Whims (exec VP, Sony Computer Entertainment): The rule of thumb has always been the same: Software sells hardware.

Greg Fischbach (CEO, Acclaim): When we released Mortal Kombat, it revolutionized the industry, in terms of attention it got and the older players that came to the game. Nintendo felt that the no-blood version was more appropriate for its system; Sega told us to put a label on the box so people would know what they were getting. And we sold three times as many units for Sega.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

shinji-kun tongue.gifrofessional muppet and writter for Big Issues.
    'I think Ninty are the best'

you big muppet smile.gif
    by the way im ni london this week and next.
    you may visit me if you wish...

Advertisement