Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hey Shinji!! I'm not done with you yet!!

Options
  • 10-05-2001 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭

i had a question for you in the closed "gaycube" thread, which you didnt get a chance to answer. i know you dont have to answer, but i would genuinely like to know. it was the question about nintendo making more money than all the holywood studios combined/being on top tier of japanese stock market/selling 60 million copies of mario3 etc.. back in 1990. i got that info from a book, which i think was called "game over" (cant be sure) it was written about 10 years ago. it seemed to me like the writer had done his research well, so i believed it at the time. but you think that is'nt true, are you sure? btw im not trying to start an argument or anything, i just would like to know wink.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm sure ive read that somewhere but i cant remember where, probably one of those top 10 of Everything books

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I am so helpful i will tell you that the "game over" book came free with PC Zone, yes you heard it right PC Zone did give out something good instead of the crappy demo cds they have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Game Over is indeed pretty damn good - I've never met the author, but I'd like to (maybe at E3), because there are a lot of things I'd like to talk to him about in the book.

I haven't got a copy of it handy, but I'm pretty sure he never makes the claim you speak of. I'm sure on a number of grounds; for a start, the fact that the industry as a whole has only in the past two years topped out the video industry in terms of revenue, so I doubt that Ninty shat on the hollywood studios all those years ago. They may have been bigger than any of the studios (but certainly not all of them!) in profit terms though, since the cinemas did go through a very rough patch about then.

Ninty are certainly "top tier" on the Jap stock market, and have been for a long while. That is to say, they're listed on the main index (like the FTSE100) - not that they're anywhere near giants like Matsu****a.

Mario 3 can't have sold 60 million copies, since there weren't anywhere near 60 million consoles capable of playing it. A tenth of that, possibly. Besides, FF7 broke all sales records when it did 14 million copies worldwide.

I really must check if this stuff is in Game Over - I'm hoping to meet the guy behind it at E3, as I said, so it'd be another question to pose... smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Sliotar

yeah it was a pretty cool book alright. 14 million was a record??! i thought games were selling way more than that! thats an eye opener alright...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Sliotar

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I am so helpful i will tell you that the "game over" book came free with PC Zone, yes you heard it right PC Zone did give out something good instead of the crappy demo cds they have </font>

it was a proper hard back book, not some cheap yoke on the back of a magazine (although those things usually are pretty good). i got it out from the local library smile.gif

• Advertisement

Way more than that? Well... as an example, pretty much nothing has ever gone over 2 million copies in the UK. About 7 million is the Japanese record... dunno about the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shinji:

Mario 3 can't have sold 60 million copies
    </font>

1989: Nintendos Super Mario Bros. 3 for the NES cameos on "The Wizard" starring Fred Savage. After the movies release the game sells more then 18 Million copies.

1985: Despite a collapsed home-videogame market in the US, Nintendo of America launches the Nintendo Entertainment system and goes on to sell more then 30 million units.

Movie box office sales for 2000: $7.5 Billion.
    Console sales for 2000: $6.4 Billion.

(ref: Wired, May 2001)

Dunno if that helps. smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">1989: Nintendos Super Mario Bros. 3 for the NES cameos on "The Wizard" starring Fred Savage. After the movies release the game sells more then 18 Million copies.</font>

Mhmmmm, I'm pretty convinced that the 18 million copies figure is flawed. I'd need to look this up, but one thing I do know about Mario 3 is that it was one of the most over-ordered games in history - so it's entirely possible that it shipped out 18 million units and a third of them sat in warehouses. Two or three old retail chains the USA blamed Mario 3 for bad financials that year.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">1985: Despite a collapsed home-videogame market in the US, Nintendo of America launches the Nintendo Entertainment system and goes on to sell more then 30 million units.</font>

Yep - best selling console until the PSX. Scary stuff.

Advertisement