Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurosport to be dropped from NTL Ireland???

• 03-06-2001 9:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I read an article in The Star on Saturday 2nd June that NTL are to drop Eurosport from the analogue service. Does anyone have any firm info on this? If it's true, then what are NTL playing at? Surely having a sports channel is a must in any basic multichannel service. Maybe the key word in the article is 'analogue' ie - that NTL plan to move the channel to digital-exclusive. But how many areas on the Dublin cable system have been sufficiently upgraded to enable NTL to start offering a digital cable box to customers? Another possibility is that someone is getting their wires crossed (not unusual for NTL!!!) about a possible move for Eurosport to UHF. NTL have plans to cease transmissions on Band 1 - which would also affect NGC and Channel 4 - and move them to UHF as has already happened in the pilot upgrade areas of Crumlin/Kimmage/Walkinstown. As a result Eurosport, NGC and C4 now occupy three channels on UHF Group A.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Would many care at losing Eurosport? Not very much content that I'd miss on it-a lot of second rate events. One of the problems in Sky having all the good stuff.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I'd disagree about a sports channel being a must - its actually highly unusual in Britain for it to be part of the basic service. Indeed Cablelink did not carry a sports channel from the demise of Screensport until their dispute with Sky was resolved.

However I agree that this is most likely someone from the Star being confused. After all, NTL provide British Eurosport's play-out facilities and have a stake in that channel. Maybe they'll switch Eurosport with British Eurosport? (Something I have been waiting to happen since NTL bought Cablelink)

As for areas that will be getting digital, the list is on ICDG somewhere (I can't remember just where at the moment, but its in the news archive.) The service launches throughout Waterford and Galway, and in about one-third of Dublin, in September.

[This message has been edited by icdg (edited 04-06-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by icdg:
    Maybe they'll switch Eurosport with British Eurosport? (Something I have been waiting to happen since NTL bought Cablelink)
    </font>

The reason may be the word "British". But if it is the reason, it is a silly one.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Richard:
    The reason may be the word "British". But if it is the reason, it is a silly one.

</font>

Especially when they carry the British Broadcasting Corporation and British Sky Broadcasting! Anyway, the only real difference between the two versions of Eurosport is the adverts and a slight change in the DOG. There's also some invision presentation, and very rarely, some programme differences. Otherwise, the two channels are practically identical.

My own feeling is that when digital TV is fully introduced, Eurosport International's English langauge feed will be scrapped. There's simply no reason for it when British Eurosport is around.

euro sport sux any way only good think on it is the x-games

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by icdg:
    Especially when they carry the British Broadcasting Corporation and British Sky Broadcasting!</font>

True, but the term is not emphasised here - they are usually known as BBC and Sky.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    My own feeling is that when digital TV is fully introduced, Eurosport International's English langauge feed will be scrapped. There's simply no reason for it when British Eurosport is around.
    </font>

It depends if they want to keep a multi-lingual service available on some other, non Astra services. Saying that, the compression techniques should easilly allow for two complete services - not just alternative sound.

Quote: icdg

I'd disagree about a sports channel being a must - its actually highly unusual in Britain for it to be part of the basic service.

British Eurosport is carried on NTL PLus in Belfast in the Basic 15 pounds per month package (Includes Telephone Line).

ON/ITV Digital allow this has the single choice at 7 pounds per month or in the 6 primary channels for 10 pounds per month.

Sky Digital include it in the Sky Family Package for 16 pounds per month.

On/ITV Digital also include ONSport 1 and 2 in the 6 primary channels packages this ends soon due to ITV Sports.

Advertisement