Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chorus Seeking Pay Hike

• 16-08-2001 6:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

from Examiner's webite....

16/08/2001 5:07:04 PM

Chorus seeks 14% hike in prices

Communications provider Chorus is applying for a price hike for its basic television service.

The Telecommunications Regulator has confirmed she is considering the application, which could see a 14% rise in service charges.

Most subscribers to Chorus have been paying the same rate since 1997, and the company’s prices haven’t risen at all since 1999.

Current monthly charges range from £8.50 to £18.50 a month, while under the new proposals submitted to the ODTR, the minimum rate would go up to £9.50.

Chorus says it needs the money to improve upon programme quality and customer care.

Telecommunications director, Etain Doyle, is open to a price rise, but says the company must live up to its commitment to provide a better service.

She wants to see prices and the number of channels offered standardised throughout the country.

She also says the decision to grant the price increase will depend on reaction to the application, including alternatives to the proposals.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Leesider:
    from Examiner's webite....

Chorus says it needs the money to improve upon programme quality and customer care.
    </font>

Programme Quality? Apart from the local channel they do nothing themselves. How could they improve qaulity?!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The details are on the ODTR site - full analysis on ICDG on Sunday. Really sorry that I haven't been able to do an update before now, but am really busy in (non-ICDG) work at moment.

its actually 29% - 14%
    and you can bet it will be mostly 29%

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 17-08-2001).]

Why does anyone retain Chorus?

I moved to Sky several months ago, and my only disappointment is that I did not do it earlier. Looking at the ODTR site, it now seems that Chorus will not have all customers upgraded to Digital until 2004. Why would anyone persist with them? I was told, every time that I rang Chorus, starting over a year agro that Digital would be installed "in a month". Every deadline passed, and the subsequent assurances I got became firmer. Eventually I lost hope and did " the right thing" and cancelled. I was surprised that ODTR differentiated Chorus from Sky saying that they carried the four Irish terrestrial channels. Big deal, a cheap rabbits ears and I can get them for nothing. Issues as to their unavailability in parts of Ireland are for RTE, not for the public to pay an extortionate fee for Chorus' third rate service. Essentially, the only difference between Sky and Chorus is that the latter carries C4 and UTV, and the former carrier a multiple of their channels, is better value, picture/sound quality is vastly superior, oh. and you are treated with respect as a customer if you contact Sky.
    One wonders whether those who were *****ing about Sky's increases will be satisfied now.

Hear Hear!!!
    I wish all chorus customers thought like that.
    The only solution for "LIES" and bad service is to move over to the competition!

When I left them... they begged...! mentioning the great phone service , they were going to have with their digital service... big deal...!
    I may have my cribs with sky from time to time but its the best at the moment... no need to waste money on the worst.
    UTV will probably be on sky at the end of the year and hopefully ch 4 some day.
    If an Irish Digital terrestial service comes on in a year or two , receivable with an indoor aerial , Chorus may apply to their bank for an increase in their overdraft as they'll lose whats left of their customers.
    imagine paying nearly £200 for what chorus give... anyone would want to be out of their cotton picking minds...
    mm

• Advertisement

I could not agree more everyone.
    I have Sky for almost 3 years now. I paid for the Digibox, and had no BBC channels until this year.
    All I can say is what pd said..I'm sorry I did'nt do this earlier.

Why do people retain Chorus ? Presumably because they wish to retain UTV and
    Channel 4. Hopefully if Sky get these channels soon..and reports say this is true, then Chorus are dead in the water.

Take it from me, Sky is a vastly superior service, worth the extra money, and after a while you won't miss whatever channels are currently missing.

If anyone has ever been to Ennis would notice that 90% have mmds aerials by chorus.
    And thats how they are still surviving.

My God Rebel,
    Ennis - the town that was chosen for all that technology experiment a few years ago??
    mm

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pd:
    Why does anyone retain Chorus?</font>

my situation is that we have 5 tv's in the house.. and staying with them is our only option, but i'm looking into getting SD, sick of the lies and bad service from chorus.

Insane - Am I the only mutha****er with a brain?
    I'm hearing voices but all they do is complain

I've just read in this weeks Gorey Guardian an article on this:Quote "The reason Enniscorthy and New Ross customers will incur a larger increase is due to a fire which damaged chorus equipment. According to Chorus, the equipmentis due to be moved to a better location,thus providing better picture quality."
    Well i've heard it all now!!!
    They apparently don't insure their equipment??
    as we say around here sometimes "...Goodnight Joe Doyle...!"

• Advertisement

Chorus service is ****, and they don't deserve an increase in charges. Instead of complaining here, write to the ODTR explaining why she should refuse their increase. Just think, you are performing poorly at work, you go to the boss demanding a deserved pay rise, otherwise you will continue to make a mess of your work, fail to turn up, be rude to customers...you get the picture!

PD,
    Thankfully I left Chorus a number of months ago when I discovered I was lucky enough to be able to receive ITV Digital-was leaving anyway.
    Now heres a suggestion for Ennis:
    1. everybody go down to you local tv dealer-get aerial and some co-ax,if he runs out , he will order more.
    2. get up on the roof , take down that chorus thing and install the VHF/uhf aerial and point to maghera or where ever. this will bring in tv3 rte etc, for most of the soaps - cost roughly £50.
    3 cancel your chorus and , if you can afford it get sky Family pack .
    4 give the above a year and Irish Digital terresial will have launched , with a good package for £10-£15 a month or hopefully less.
    The only thing you'll miss is brookie and thats updated on the web plus most of ch4's good stuff is on E4

Rebel 18 spread the word- there is an answer and the answer is the church of madman...!
    mm

Advertisement