Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling Conan O'Brien and Jay Leno fans

Options
  • 24-08-2001 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

If you're a fan of Conan and Jay, I would like you to join me in a campaign to get NTL to show CNBC on a 24-hour basis over the weekends so that that Dubliners can see these shows again on cable.

Send an email to customer.support@ntl.ie

Thanks everyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Maybe im just imagining this,but in the early nineties did CNBC have entertainment in the mornings?I seem to recall stuff like Fresh Prince and Saved by the Bell on[man i cant believe i watched that show!].Maybe just my imagination though.
    But to the main topic,i dont have ntl so i dont know how the thingys worjkin at the mo,but is CNBC still on in mornings before Discovery?I dont think ntl has analogue room for CNBC to have its own channel space.Though it wouldnt be the worst thing to put on the Link channel after Nick.Now,if yall scuse me the Fresh Prince will be on Trouble in 20mins.Goodnight smile.gif

[This message has been edited by The Gopher (edited 25-08-2001).]

Hey Gopher,

NTL has given Discovery its own 24-hour analogue channel. CNBC has been shifted way up to 408MHz to share with TV5!! There is bags of analogue space on NTL, there is nothing between 328MHz and 400MHz. That would give you space for ten analogue channels!

why not just spend a small amount of cash on Sky Digi.
    seriously guys..NTL listening to customer needs/wants.
    smile.gif

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

Baz-are u sure about this?Being a skydigital man myself i dont really know too much about cable technologies but icdg[who runs this site of course]has often said here that there is practically no room left on ntl analogue.But i think that they should dump practically unwatched channels like TV5 or TG4 and put some quality stuff there instead.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Practically no room is left on the system, since some of the frequencies you mention will have been allocated to digital TV, in addition there is only so much you can fit down copper wire, no matter how much UHF or VHF frequency space there is. That is the reason for the network upgrade in the first place.

However, it's probably safe to assume that CNBC will be available 24 hour on the new digital service. Whether as part of the basic package or in a TV pack, I don't know. Not long to wait now until the launch, if you're in one of the lucky areas...

• Advertisement

Just wondering,will ntl have to go installing all new digital cable underneath the streets and have to pull out all old cabling in every house or will they use the present cables with some sort of minor upgrade?And is it true that due to ntls general ****wit way of doi8ng things that there wont be near as much capacity as ntl uk has?

In addition to most of the old channels heres what i guess will be coming.Bear in mind this is only my opinion and they mightnt be coming at all.However some will deffo be coming.
    CNN with picture
    Euronews?
    UK Gold
    Paramount
    The extra disney channels
    Nat Geo will be back
    History id guess
    E4?
    Box
    Kiss
    MTV Base and Hits
    VH1[Id bet my money on that for sure]

hmm..I'll stick with Sky I think...more channels, better quality, and you get them as they come out (no I don't work for them btw wink.gif). I WAS looking forward to their cable modem service tho but by all accounts this isn't gonna be appearing anytime soon now (cause - as Gopher said - of Cablelink/NTL's usual way of doing things..remember, only the name changed..its still more-or-less the same bunch we've always had to put up with..or so I reckon anyway). Here's hoping Esat/Eircom come up with a competitively priced ADSL service.

Oh incidentially, isnt it good how with only 3 days to go till September, theres still almost NO "official" details on NTLs upcoming Digital services - were it not for sites like this we'd never know what they were at..

Rant over! wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Kaiser2000 (edited 27-08-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The Gopher:
    Maybe im just imagining this,but in the early nineties did CNBC have entertainment in the mornings?</font>

CNBC replaced NBC Europe* on the Astra Sat when it launched. In the early ninties it was called NBC Superchannel, and before the NBC takeover. just SuperChannel

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Richard:
    CNBC replaced NBC Europe* on the Astra Sat when it launched. In the early ninties it was called NBC Superchannel, and before the NBC takeover. just SuperChannel</font>
    Yes and Superchannel was originally set up to show old ITV shows, rather like an ITV UK Gold. Incidentally CNBC is only half owned by NBC, the other half is owned by Dow Jones which operated EBN (European Business News) which CNBC merged with. CNBC uses the old EBN studios in London for their home produced programming.

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by icdg:

However, it's probably safe to assume that CNBC will be available 24 hour on the new digital service. Whether as part of the basic package or in a TV pack, I don't know. Not long to wait now until the launch, if you're in one of the lucky areas...
    </font>
    CNBC was recently added to NTL digital cable in the UK as a bonus channel which you do not pay extra for. So they may well do the same in ROI.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The Gopher:
    Just wondering,will ntl have to go installing all new digital cable underneath the streets and have to pull out all old cabling in every house or will they use the present cables with some sort of minor upgrade?And is it true that due to ntls general ****wit way of doi8ng things that there wont be near as much capacity as ntl uk has?</font>

They are initally just going to be using the old cables, in areas where they are good enough. However they will recommence upgrading the network (when they have the money to do so). And yes, the capacity won't be anything near NTL UK's. If you are in one of the lucky areas, all you will need is a new set-top-box, supplied by NTL as part of your subscription.

I am a huge Fan of Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien. Is the full version of CNBC shown on NTL's new digital package?

Advertisement