Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games Magazines ?

Options
  • 13-05-2001 2:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

I think the shops here in ireland are ripping us off on games magazines say computr and videogames (CVG) they sell there mags for like £2.99 but here they sell it near enough to a fiver i know it has to do with taxes and the sterling but its way dearer and thanks to that i miss out on the magz frown.gif

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Well if you think that price is bad, look at PC Gamer
    £4.95 sterling
    and it's what now??
    £8.50
    I've given up on buying them
    only buy the mags every few month's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭rumpelstiltskin

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan:

And there are plenty of other websites that do what magazines do, only you don't have to wait a month for an update smile.gif

</font>

yeah but you cant sit on the bog and read them...
    and you dont get all those lovely demos (unless you wanna sit for hours downloading)
    They are worth £8.50 imo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

aye but magazines such as PC Zone post most of their articles on the websites.

And there are plenty of other websites that do what magazines do, only you don't have to wait a month for an update smile.gif

Fear can sometimes be a useful emotion. For instance, let's say you're an astronaught on the moon and you fear that your partner has been turned into Dracula. The next time he goes out for the moon pieces, wham! You just slam the door behind him and blast off. He might call you on the radio and say he's not Dracula, but you just say, "Think again, bat man."
    hello.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭StarScream

the funniest thing is when the say "free demo" lol the demos add 3 quid to the price..just look at that awful irish ps2 mag if i wasnt gettin that for free id be so ****ed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

AFAIK, adding floppies, CDs or DVDs to a mag changes it from being just a publication, which are VAT exempt, to something which is no longer VAT exempt.

This goes a bit of the way towards explaining the Ireland/UK price difference on games mags. Doesn't explain the difference between the cost of CD/DVD editions. Still, it's v. true that it's good to have something to read on the bog and I can't resist collecting useless covermount disks.

On an aside, I took about three years worth of PC Format/PC Gamer/PC Zone/PC Plus disks to a charity shop recently. The bottom of my wardrobe couldn't take it anymore. They filled a large bin liner smile.gif I went in a couple of weeks later and they were flogging them off for about a pound apiece, and people were buying them smile.gif Guess I'll go straight to heaven wink.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement