Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reply to Tom

Options
  • 24-03-2001 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Tom your posting from "uk.media.tv.sky " news group was posted by ("*.!!.*" <o-__-o@esatclear.ie) I would not pay much attention to this posting. On EPG 203 & 204. EPG 214 & 215 Claim Aerial & Satellite Centre Cork from an earlier posting from Leesider. I for one will not be holding my breath.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Regardless of when if ever BCC launches, I perhaps naively don't understand some of the postings on copyright.

Certainly there is a copyright issue showing the BBC in Ireland. I assume this has been resolved years ago by NTL/Chorus with a fee system. I assume Sky would be able in theory to come to the same agreement.

Somebody mentioned that it's easier to block channels to Ireland on DSAT than on the old cable systems. Surely not easier. Chorus only transmits to ireland, probably from a central point. What could be simpler that blocking out certain channels at certain times? In fact Chorus often blocked out the UK channels accidentally! There would be uproar among the public, but if it was required by law it was trivial to do this technically. Yet it has never been done on cable. So why should it happen on dsat? The blocking of RTE programmes in the North is done on analogue systems anyway, is it?

A logical view of the situation might be that, while in theory Sky could host all the UK channels... again I repeat that the cables companies do this already... the issue may be the price that the channels wish to charge Sky. They no doubt have played/are playing hardball... Maybe the BBC is attempting to recoup some of the money it pays Sky to be hosted on their system for UK viewers!!

Happy discussions,

John McD.

Hi Guys, I've been away for a few days so wasnt able to post. When this issue of BBC first came to light when sky digital was launched I took it up with the competition authority they were on the basis of restraint of trade. They were looking hard for a way not to take up the case but copyright was never once mentioned by them. My understanding is that copyright relates to a gegraphical area and not a transmission type ie cable or satellite. For instance channel 5 was available via analogue satellite, RTe kicked up and got no where. It was a political decision not to allow uk terrestrials on sky digital. I'm sorry I cant be more specific (libel laws etc) but we may find out if the morarty tribunal decides its a relevant issue.

Thanks to all the contributors for their kind words in my support

Regards Tony

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Hi,

Thanks Tony for breaking this story that the BBC would become available (which they have).

Just one thing though - Copyright does relate to platform. When Sky One went ONdigital in the UK, they had to change some of their programmes (mostly sci-fi stuff like Xena) that they did not have DTT rights to at the time. I think that they have now got over the situation though.

I assumed that a "Limited Service" on BBC1 on SkyDigital would mean a blank screen during programmes like Neighbours, eastenders etc. However no such thing has happened.
    Who mentioned this "Limited service" anyway???

Keep "Watching".....

Hi Big Tanya,

I admit that I was one of the first to mention the possibilty of some programmes being blacked out. I was speculating on the reasons for BBC NI switching it's test broadcast off every second programme. It seems that my theory was wrong and I'm delighted !! Also, as I've mentioned elsewhere, I love BBC digital text !!

It's all good news really.

I like your idea for a concerted campaign to get C4 and 5. As usual your enthusiasm is infectious and I certainly intend being involved by e-mailing the relevant people.

Cheers.

• Advertisement

i can see Channel 4 coming in a few months but not Channel 5. don't they have 2 or 3 different advertising regions. does the one Northern Ireland carry have irish adverts. if not i don't think they could be really bothered to launch officially in Ireland. it doesn't make much difference to me as i have it on analogue 19.2 degrees already. it would make a nice addition to Sky Digital because their late night sports programme Live and Dangerous is fantastic if you like Ice Hockey. what a great game they had on last night

"I can see Channel 4 coming in a few months but not Channel 5. don't they have 2 or 3 different advertising regions. does the one Northern Ireland carry have irish adverts."

Yes, it does, but only since a few weeks ago. Hopefully C5 would see sense and realise the additional potential audience for very little added rights cost. They should welcome every viewer they can get. Certainly, C4's interest in additional Irish viewers for ad revenue may brings its arrival to the platform sooner now that BBC ONE has appeared.

"it doesn't make much difference to me as i have it on analogue 19.2 degrees already."

On the down side, this may not remain there indefinitely, sadly. Sky pulls its remaining services in June/July, but C5 have given no shut-off dates as yet.

Thanks Ronan, I stand corrected, I knew pay per view was treated separetly but did not realise that the on digital situation existed. I cant really take all the credit for breaking the story as it was alreday under discussion and the ball park dates I gave for the actual launch were wide of the mark (on the good side though) I remember someone saying April first but I was told mid April. I still do not understand why BBC2 was not launched as well although they may be creating a brand new NI feed for this which might account for the delay although this is only speculation on my part.

Regards Tony

Tis great to see BBC1ni on my EPG this morning and isn't BBC digital Ceefax brilliant. I thought BBC were going to encrypt some progs as someone on these forums rang BBC and was told this. Also the fact that its on 214 as opposed to 101 leading me to believe that it was on an alternative no coz of some progs being blocked. This may happen in future if RTÉ kick up a stink about EastEnders and Neighbours. Anyway, roll on Apr30 so we can see BBC2ni! And I must agree with Tanya, we should campaign for the other terrestrials. On an alternative subject, why is PlayUK sitting out on its own with a gap between it and other channels on the EPG? Is Sky coming up with another category?

Play Uk is apparently changing its format. All last week they were advertising their new EPG number. their primetime slots are all comedy shows now. UK Gold shows the best of Uk comedies whilst Play Uk shows mostly american ones.
    If you press tv guide, and then 7 for music & radio, Play Uk is now at the top of the list, which used to be occupied by MTV. so maybe a good marketing ploy on their part.

• Advertisement

"Play Uk is apparently changing its format. All last week they were advertising their new EPG number."

The schedules today, though, are very much like last week. It appears the aim was to get the comedy-loving (but non-music-loving) masses to come across the channel more readily than they would up in the mid 400s. As for the advertising, yes, the EPG number was even given up with the logo on Sunday.

"their primetime slots are all comedy shows now."

But they mostly were before anyway. It's really still a music channel, just repositioned for the comedy audience.

"UK Gold shows the best of Uk comedies whilst Play Uk shows mostly american ones."

Lot of British stuff, too, though. The Fast Show, Goodness Gracious Me and several others like those are Play favourites.

"If you press tv guide, and then 7 for music & radio, Play Uk is now at the top of the list, which used to be occupied by MTV. so maybe a good marketing ploy on their part."

I thought so too. It's unhelpful if you're used to accessing MTV by expecting it first, though. Annoyingly, it is also the first channel to stay as "Music & Radio" but be listed with the Entertainment ones...!

Advertisement