Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC Digital Text

Options
  • 26-03-2001 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Well,by now we shouold all have BBC NI on sky.What do we think of its digital text?Its alot better than skys digitext.Quicker and with more info.And you can still see and listen 2 the tv show thats on.Any1 think that BBC should be advertising their presence more?eg-ads on buses,billboards or tv telling ppl that their available?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yes I think the BBC digital text is great. So much better and quicker than Sky digital text. I have to say that I wasn't completely bowled over by BBC's arrival on Sky digital without the extra channels, but now I'm delighted for the sake of the text alone.

I'm sure it's only a matter of days before Sky start to really push the fact that BBC is available, and when they do I reckon there'll be a huge increase in uptake. You Sky Digital installers out there are going to be run off your feet.

BBC digital text is fast but for content i will stick to Aertel, Ceefax and Sky text. there are already ads on radio in Cork so it is only a matter of time before we see and hear them everywhere

Yeah, I for one am gonna be seriously flat out installing sky systems again (was bad enuff @ Xmas). BBC digitext is very good. i like the option to watch and read at the same time. Tis a lot faster than Skytext but then, Sky is more graphical with pictures and stuff. All in all, tis great to have 2 good digitexts to choose from.

Though i do think analogue text has more info im still happy with BBC Digitext.

Great to have 214 BBC NI though the widescreen is a bit of a nuisance for those of us with std TV's. On a separate matter, when I try to access text on BBC all I get is ordinary NI Ceefax. Anyone shed any light on this problem ?

• Advertisement

Before pressing "Text" press the blue "SKY" button at the top of the remote.
    Press SKY
    then text
    Hope it works..........

"though the widescreen is a bit of a nuisance for those of us with std TV's"

If you haven't done this, you can select letterbox in the digibox menus. This, of course results in 'postage stamping' for some 4:3 sports programmes. And you may not like the 16:9 letterbox. I wish they had a 14:9 Option.

If this dosent work turn off your box,unplug for a minute and plug in again.You should see the message "searching for listings,please wait"and within about half a minute you should be back at the sky demonstration channel 998.Go to 214 and press text and it should work.Good luck.

Have managed to sort out Widescreen option using picture setting however when I try loading text on Sky or BBC all I get is message in banner saying press tv then text to access text. This just gives me normal Ceefax or Sky text.
    Any suggestions or does anyone have a phone number to call Sky technical assistance ( if that isn't a contradiction in terms ! . Thanks.

Try re-booting the box (ie unplug it for 30 seconds). This sort of thing happens occasionally with text and Active.

• Advertisement

Yeah, Toms suggestion should sort out your problem. BTW, Sky Customer Services number is <!--EZCODE BOLD START--> FreeFone 1800 535 767<!--EZCODE BOLD END-->

On a completely different subject, does anyone ever have frame-rate probs on SkyOne? Occasionally on mine, the picture seems to stutter and sometimes break. It only seems to happen on certain newish progs on SkyOne (eg Harry Enfields New Show, Ibiza Uncovered 2, Baddiels Syndrome, etc). It's just seems to be new progs by sky. Is this because the progs are mastered digitally or something and my digibox can't keep up? If so, is my digibox faulty? It's a Pace 2500

Thanks folks,
    A reboot did the trick.

Advertisement