Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I connect to the phone line?

Options
  • 01-04-2001 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Im not presently connected to the phone line but do have some spare cable in the house in case i want to.Before i do so i have a very important question.Sometimes in the Box Office section if i dont have the wire plugged in i go to a film,press select and the message comes up saying checking purchase info or something similiar.It then shows the film price and at the bottom of the screen has something saying like "call this number to order".However if i didnt ring up for the film is there any way that i could be charged for anything i didnt watch when i reconnect the phoine line?PLEASE only anwser if your absoutely certain as if u were wrong i would have a huge sky bill,and i dont pay it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I do have a phone line permanently connected to my digibox and I can absolutely confirm that you do NOT get billed if you don't watch - even if you do order. How do I know for sure?

Firstly, Sky assure us that this is the case. However, the proof of the pudding is in the eating - I booked a box office movie for my daughter one evening (ages ago) when we were going out. She forgot about it and it never showed up on the bill.

QED.

I was very nervous about connecting the phone originally; but have had no ill effects whatsoever. A million time easier to book the movies and the events. Recommend it.

Mark.

I regularly watch the first five mins of the box office films for free.If i enter my PIN when im disconnected it wont charge will it,even when i reconnect?

Course it will charge you. You don't think Sky would allow such an easy way to get around their billing system. No, afaik, your box is instructed over the air to 'phone home' overnight - presumably to a freephone number like it is in the UK. It will then let them know what you've ordered. If the box isn't able to phone home after several attempts (probably a few months) then Sky will contact you. You could of course destroy the box if you run up a really huge bill.... (not that I'm recommending this!)

It does charge you ! Sky allocate a credit limit to your box. The movies are switched on instantly when you order them, with no phone call from the unit. Periodically, the box calls home and transmits the details of what you have done. The credit limit is reset at this time.

If you disconnect your box from the line, the worst (best) that can happen is you get free movies to the value of your credit limit. In my case, they set me up with £50. I'm not sure if that's typical or not.

Mark.

Ive been doing it since i got sky and have never beeen billed![as far as I know anyway].And anyway,the film encrypts after 5 minutes.So if I were paying for it would i not be supposed to see the whole film?

• Advertisement

You do not get charged for the first 5 mins. This is just giving you a taster. Also, according to Sky, if you book a movie, but don't watch it, you will not be billed.

Will

Well,you all know now how my system appears to be working.So,final anwser,should i plug it in?Thanks

Advertisement