Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installation Cost

Options
  • 02-04-2001 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, i'm getting a Sky Digital Minidish soon... I've called a couple of installers...i presumed the installation would be £50 as advertised by Sky, out of the 6 places I called in Cork City - 3 Installers said it would cost me £80, not £50, for installation! Reasons ranged from it was because I'm presently a Chorus Customer... to its in the small print! Does anybody know what the official price is? Thanks - Don Farrell

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi,

The installation cost should be just 50 pounds. It should only be more if you need to have a current dish removed, unusual cabling, or if you want it on the chimney.

I'll go on a little because you should think about this.

I thought on the chimney was standard but I have been convinced now that it isn't despite the fact that everyone seems to have the dish there. Tony, our resident expert might shed some light on this... His web site says that such an installation is against the code of practice of aerial installers.

One person told me that the chimney cement corrodes the dish. Perhaps also the higher exposure to wind might be a problem?

My house faces almost directly South and my installer put the dish to the right side of it, like a mickey mouse ear!! Some installs I've seen place the dish in front of the chimney, which seems better from a wind point of view, and better looking. Now I'm feeling a bit paranoid... Will my dish come flying off in a big storm? Will my chimney start crumbling? Or will the dish come out of alignment and force me to pay a fortune to have it fixed?

Maybe I should have had the dish put on the gable, and I'm a bit annoyed the installer did not explain things to me a bit better.

Best regards,
    John McD.

Hi John, Placing a dish on a chimney is ok if you use a lashing kit from a structural point of view. Drilling into a single layer chimney breast is not recommended although I must admit I have done it in the past as the customer insisted on it (having had an analogue dish already up). The problem with a chimney is the higher you go up the more wind load is present and its coming from at least 3 directions which tends to vibrate the dish which does the damage, i would always recommend a standoff brcaket at the back of the house in these situations although a wall below the roof line is always preferable. The mindish's are not made to the same high standard that the lenson analogue dish so placement is crucial. As to cost £50 is for a standard install IE no brackets required and if its a new customer up to 15m of ct100 cable. I find it difficult to understand how someone can quote extra without knowing the exact installation unless the customer points out that its a non standard installion. Regards Tony

What is tonys site address?

hi Gopher its www.irelands-satellite.ie

Advertisement