Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help tracking down old coin-op

Options
  • 16-05-2001 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I was just wondering if anyone remembered an old coin-op back in the late eighties based loosely on the film "Aliens". It was a side scrolling game where you controlled some guy and you could pick up various weapons such as flamethrowers etc. You fought Aliens, but they were "enhanced" for the game, like one that fired triple fireball shots form its head when it got weak enough.

Levels I remember were a lift level where you fought off aliens on a moving lift, and a level where you were sitting on top of the APC from the movie, driving into the screen while blasting xenomorphs biggrin.gif

It may have actually been called Aliens, but I havent been able to find it on the net and I dont even know who made it. Anyone who can help will be noted down in my "people not to kill" book. smile.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

Did it include the odd predator aswell? , If so i remember it . Kinda ok but its gonna be a hard one to find id say , get yerself a Metal Slug rom instead smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

yeah, i reckon ill start downloading some neo geo roms once I get broad band. they are too big for modem reeally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Aliens was an late 80's game , you could only pick ripley and you mostly just went sideways with the bonus level being you firing from the APC while going from a first person view.

Aliens Versus Predator was 1993 i think, made by capcom , you could pick one of two marines or a hunter or warrior predator , side scrolling with way more aliens hacking away at you and pretty nice gfx as well.

Aliens is curently in MAME , and AVP is a CPS2 game and that's emulated too, get finalburn from finalburn.com, it supported AVP before the author got too ****ed off with rom beggers and what not and stopped.
    The final release still supports and whack load of CPS2 games and its ten times better than any of the other standalone emulators.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Cool, thanks for the info. Any idea where to get the Aliens ROM?

Nice one bugs , I got to get me that , at the mo all I have emulator wise is NeoGeo for Metal slug biggrin.gif

• Advertisement

Not that i condone emulation in any form or fashion ( look, shinji, look smile.gif )

But http://www.mame.dk has both the avp and aliens roms , but for the sake of your sanity please don't run AVP thru MAME, as mame is probably the most hyped and underdeveloped emulator , what they miss to say in their title of "emulates everything", is "emulates everything......badly"

BTW , finalburn runs CPS2 games , most of them , that includes all the street fighters from alpha up (baring the 2 naomi ones) and a bunch of other games

Noted , Even I heard of Mame , but i didnt know it was such a a bad prog , the only one i have is neo-rage mind , not bad though , runs games a treat has good configuration *keys* joystick control though i never touched it , and lovely interlaced and blur settings and edge enhancement aswell i believe , but maybe its on all roms i couldnt really say

Shrewgar!

Well i've been into emulation for ages and theres quite a difference between and good and bad emulator.
    For the most part neoragex is probably one of the best ever made, it practically emulates the CPU of a neo geo perfectly, well almost, and for a fraction of the power of CPU that most emulators require.

Put it this way , MAME runs neo geo games as well but if you ran games on both , you'd quickly see that say on a 500MHz CPU , the neoragex would run them flawlessly and MAME would run them like dirt.
    For the most part it seems to be MAME's sound emulation, i talked to a guy in trinity whose supposed to be directly involved in MAME and he waffled on about how it wasn't a case of how well they got the games playing, but merely that they got the games playing and the number of games MAME can play ("badly")

Practically anything in MAME is emulated somewhere else by someone elses program 10 times better , always keep this in mind when you find something useful in MAME.
    And if all else fails and you're tired of the 5 frames per second, turn off the sound and you'll see the frames fly up (why they can't just spend a bit of time getting sound emulation right i'll never know , i'm just happy they're finally dumping DOS support, about bloody time too)

Advertisement