Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardest Game Ever

Options
  • 19-04-2001 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭

What do people think is the hardest game ever??? I always thought that Commander Keen was a really difficult(but i was only 11 or so when i played it). The original C&C was kinda hard too.
    And ive just finished Vagrant Story on the PS and that had me tearin me hair out

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

China Miner on the Commodore 64 is generally reckoned to be toughest ever. Pixel perfect jumping platform nightmare. And the ending is pants x 1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

the origional Super Mario Bros. on the NES. ****, i've still never gotten past world 8-3. frown.gif

- Ciaran
    smoke-me-a-kipper
    S-M-A-K bottom!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

Robocop on the c64, there was one part that was incredibly difficult, I thought it was just me but years later I saw a documentary about the software house who dev'ed it and they discussed what a disaster they had made of it by making it too hard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

Head Over Heels on the C64 I found to be bit(h hard. Never finished it.... and Crystal Caves was difficult wee thing too (Arcade game, available on MAME32).

_ _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _
    <A HREF="http://homepage.eircom.net/~cullenm&quot; TARGET=_blank>
    sig.jpg
    </A>
    http://run.to/pile

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

mario bros...c&c lol simple!

this botf is reckin me tits altogether, tryin to keep a federation happy when ur bombarding the ferengy is damn nare impossible biggrin.gif

"just because ur not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after u!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ThunderingMike

Yeah, Head over Heels was a ****. Black and White is also tough but only because it runs like a dog frown.gif

And on the Mega Drive, there was a little known side scroller called Second Samurai and it was very hard.

ThunderingMike Thus conscience does make cowards of us all, And thus the native hue of resolution is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought, And enterprises of great pitch and moment, With this regard their current turns away, And lose the name of action... Nows that's a sig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

there was a dennis the menace game made one (i cannot remember the format) which had an impossible jump on the 5th level.

it was impossible. the development team added becasue the rest of the game was not ready.

so u *cannot* finish the game, thus makeing it the hardest game ever.

- Dead Bank Clerk -
    [clergy]Altar Boy
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll
    be warm for a day. Set a man on
    fire, and he'll be warm for the
    rest of his life."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Chessmaster 7000.

I've tried so many times and I can't beat the computer on the hardest level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

i'D HAVE TO SAY b-1 FLYING FORTRESS ( stupid caps) was the hardest game i've played in a long time.
    that and the final level in driver on the ps was hard but the game in general wasn't.

so B-17 gets my vote.

No !!!!! I will crush you with my Bare hands

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

a game called offroad on the mega drive, it didnt finish FFS.

you just played the courses backeards once you had finished it, then again normal when you finished that, the on and on etc.
    IT DIDNT END!!!!!!!!!!1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

I would have to say C&C last few levels on both sides were viciously hard.
    Also Terror from the deep.
    /me shudders at the thought of the size of the alien bases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭[SN]JAG

on the megadrive there was a game called powermonger it was a BIATCH to beat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

aye terror from the deep.

Those lobster men were practically indistructible then they pegged it up to you from 2 screens away and ripped the guts out of your soldier(you know the one you named after yourself) and you feel so sorry for him you restart the level till you finish it with him alive smile.gif

***** hard that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

China Miner and Jet Set Willy on the Commodore64.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

I kicked super mario's ass, when I was around 10. Hardest game? Civ2 on the highest difficulty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭cueball

SMB and C&C were pi$$ easy! COmmandoes is ****in solid! I still have that old robocop, you should see the last level!

Toughest game imo is The second zelda game on the NES

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

On the NES it has to be Teenage Mutuant Ninja Turtles not the scrolling bea'em up version but the iso-view one. There was a deadly gap which needed a jump called the feather jump to cross which was very difficult to pull off.
    On the P.C it has to be Bio-Forge for the simple reason I have never found out his identity but I have finished it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭StarScream

without a doubt the hardest game ever was goldeneye on the n64 on 00 agent it was a swine,especially the aztech and control levels and then gettin all the cheats? hands down it was the hardest thing iv ever had to do (but the all weapons cheat and the fact its the best game ever made it worth it) btw i didnt see this topic till after our conversation jag lol what a coinkidinc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

hmmm
    genuinely hard ******* of a game hmmm they don't em anymore I'd have to say Space Quest 1 was a ***** having to type out everything "pick up rock" "shove rock...."

Alot of stupid hard games out there can't remember the name of it nemisis something
    damn stupid game more or less eye candy....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Three words
    FEER THE GLMINESWEEPER!

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭RAY

i played a old arcade game recently cant actually remember the name but i think it was called hobs and goblins but it was the one where ur a knight (medievil ones) and everytime u take a hit ur clothes fell off ,armour,helmet ect. The game was easy enough until u get to the last boss big M*uther feucking troll that takes its head off and throw it at u smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭RAY

I also remember a game called the New Zealand story it wasnt a hard game but the last boss got u thinking. U had to face a big whale and u could not kill him by using the ur weapons but it was when he gobbled u up and instead of finding a GameOver screen u find ur self in his stomach and then all u have to do is spear his guts and u complete the game smile.gif sweet smile.gif

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I'd agree with TinCool and vote for Jet Set Willy (on the Amstrad). Still have nightmares about those wellingtons (brrrr)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Ah brilliant. I use to play that to death on the Amiga 500 and I never finished it for reasons I can't rememeber. Always wondered what the ending was.

cheers Ray you've made my day!

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Someone mentioned Commandos there , which i agree totally with .That game was so fúcking hard it was unbeleivable . No doubt ill have some guy whos finished it in 3 days bl33ting at me :P.

But jesus twas a hard game .. i got a lend of it from a friend for a few months and i got to about the 5th level i think .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

Ahh lads...I think your all missing 2 bigguns there
    Sim City
    I saw an article on GSA a while back ,stuck in my head . Sure you could get a little villiage running , few houses a factory or two , you might even splash out on a Marina or something . but 20 minutes later its all Fallen apart , a sea of black burnt out houses . Without a word of warning . And as for Commercial ? Forget it! . through in a fire and your well and truly Fupped

Tie Fighter? .Classic Space sim of the Early 90s ? flying round in those tie fighters that Luke and Han were Blowing up left right and centre in the films . You thought "Finally an accurate portrayal of Superior Imperial Technology " . Oh how i was wrong . Its was litterally like flying around in an empty *Unshielded* Tin of Beans . You got about 3 hits out of your fighter . minimal Re-enforcement . Vicious Rebel A-wings flying everywhere .missles whizzing to and fro , all this trundling along in a Tie bomber , going at the speed of a 90-C ford Fiesta , with minimal Armour , weaponary , carrying High explosives . All this to try and sink a massive rebel cruiser brissling with Weapons?
    totally ludicrous , atleast in Freespace 2 they deck you out in a small battleship to take on bigger ones , in Tie Fighter it was you , two lasers a Layer of Aluminium and a pair a solar panels .

Now that was hard .

but rewarding smile.gif

Shrewgar!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

The thing about most games is that they're simple once you figure it out. The final level in Hitman would be a ******* at the highest level but all you have to do is stand in the shadows and shoot the pillocks as the run past. The pile of bullet-ridden clones wouldn't be a hint?

Even worse than Tie Fighter was the add-on pack, which I had in german eek.gif. Vader sounds evil in german. You got better ships but so did the enemy. Worse still was X-Wing vs Tie Fighter. You'd be in a slow-ass gunboad and you'd always have four super-fast fighters on you. If you managed to kill one, another would come join the attack.

If you managed to kill them all, more would hyperspace in. They made mincemeat of the other fighters on your side, so you're sometimes be the only one left against 20 enemy fighters. If you're lucky enough that the enemy has no bombers you can hide near your Star Destroyer and spend about two hours killing them all before you can finally go on the mission and take on a big **** off capital ship by yourself.

Civ2 is still easy on the highest difficulty setting. Even with a small empire, behind in the technology you can easily defend yourself, and bide your time. And you can usually be a go-between for the other empires. Trade tech with one, then use the aquired tech to trade with someone else, then take that back to the first, etc.

Much harder is MOO2, after you install the latest patch. It's usually when things are going well that a massive alien fleet descends on you. And unlike civ2 you can't buy the city with the U.N. and make peace. They know when they can wipe you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dr. Loon:
    ... and so was Ninja, or was it called last ninja? That was difficult as well....</font>

I agree that The Last Ninja was difficult, but by no means impossible. I finished Last Ninja 1 and 2 after weeks of intensive play. I do remember in the first one however, parts where you had to get across a couple of rivers by jumping on rocks, that was an abosolute ********.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Belisarius:
    Tie Fighter? .Classic Space sim of the Early 90s ? flying round in those tie fighters that Luke and Han were Blowing up left right and centre in the films . You thought "Finally an accurate portrayal of Superior Imperial Technology " . Oh how i was wrong .
    </font>
    Tie fighter is one of my fav game still.
    I liked it cus of the little protection, i never found it very hard, challanging and every once in a while i'll go back and play it.

but as forit being hard .. i don't think so..

X-wing alliance . now there are a few missions on that that are a b!tch

No !!!!! I will crush you with my Bare hands

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by smoke-me-a-kipper:
    another impossible game was Wizball on the C64</font>

Heh - myself and the brother spend 7 straight hours playing that in co-op one night and finished it! We were playing on a Black'n'White screen, which made it twice as hard (couldn't tell what shades of what we were dealing with).

Last Ninja - a pain in the bum, but I finished it!!!

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

[honey i] violated [the kids]

Advertisement