Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Irish game site in the mix

Options
  • 11-05-2001 1:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi all

Some good news… We are currently developing a gaming and technology website for Ireland covering all sorts of areas including the following...

· Most major platforms
    · Previews
    · Reviews (looking for reviewers shortly)
    · News
    · Technology News
    · etc...

We are also developing a shopping cart system, which does not require you to have a credit card (or any other type of card) and is 100% secure. We are planning to sell the majority of games for each platform and all the necessary hardware to network your home or small office. We also plan to sell gaming hardware at a later date.

What I'd like to know is...

· Are you interested in buying online at prices that WILL beat high street shops? What would you expect of us when we say we can sell to you with 100% security?
    · What type of information would you like to see us publish on a daily/weekly basis?
    · Would you like to network your home and if so how would you like to use this technology?
    · If you had £5000 what type of computer platform(s) would you put together?
    · Give us your opinion on any shop(s) in Ireland you have bought a game?
    · We are building this site to server the gamers of Ireland by supplying the software and hardware at the best possible prices. We also plan to make some money to keep in going. What is you opinion on this statement?
    · Would you buy ADSL now if it were available in your area? How much would you be prepared to pay for it?
    · LAN parties are not well enough publicised. How can that be changed? Would TV coverage of such parties be a good idea?

For the person who gives the best response to the answers above I will give a copy of Tribes 2, gratis…

I will post the name of the site up shortly as it’s currently not available on the web for lots of reasons, only on our internal server. My guess is that it’ll be ready by the end of the summer, hopefully….

Regards and thanks
    Donie

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by donie:
    · Are you interested in buying online at prices that WILL beat high street shops? What would you expect of us when we say we can sell to you with 100% security?</font>
    Most definitly
    · What type of information would you like to see us publish on a daily/weekly basis?</font>
    Something along the lines of Blues or IGN
    · Would you like to network your home and if so how would you like to use this technology?</font>
    When I moved into my house in Galway, a 100 Mb hub and cards were the first thing my housemate and I bought!
    · If you had £5000 what type of computer platform(s) would you put together?</font>
    Dual Processors (in or around 1.4 GHz), half a gig of RAM, a GeForce 3 (TV out included), 19" monitor, SB Live! Platinum, 60 gig drive, CD-RW, DVD, Desktop Theatre woofer and speakers. :D
    · Give us your opinion on any shop(s) in Ireland you have bought a game?</font>
    Game is OK, if a little uninformed. Smiths in Galway - blegh - not too bad, staff tried to help as best they could. EB - pretty good - the only shop I've seen tell parents the ratings in games and what the potential dcontent is like. I was very impressed with this and told the manager so.
    · We are building this site to server the gamers of Ireland by supplying the software and hardware at the best possible prices. We also plan to make some money to keep in going. What is you opinion on this statement?</font>
    I've got no problem paying for a good service - games servers, if well maintained and kept free of muppetry - I'll definitly be willing to pay something to play on.
    · Would you buy ADSL now if it were available in your area? How much would you be prepared to pay for it?</font>
    OH SWEET JESUS YES!!! I'd pay up to £100 a month cause I want it so much!
    · LAN parties are not well enough publicised. How can that be changed? Would TV coverage of such parties be a good idea?</font>
    I'm actually in the process of organising one in Galway - send me an email and I'll tell you all about it kharn@castlebar.ie

Cheers mate!

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So I turned around to Jack Charlton and said: "Well of course it's not a football Jack, it's an '86 Chardonay!!!"
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    Tribes 2 Goodness
    The Dawn of the Beefy King approaches...

[This message has been edited by Kharn (edited 11-05-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Mikill

SOunds good biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Are you interested in buying online at prices that WILL beat high street shops? What would you expect of us when we say we can sell to you with 100% security?
    </font>

Of course. 100% security would mean that there was never any chance of the customer loosing money. I'd also want to see an excellent track record on customer service. I look at BlackStar.co.uk as an excellent example of this, they offer:
    On-line order tracking
    Email confirmation of orders and shipping.
    Periodic email reminders of outstanding orders (if you preorder items before release).
    No-quibble returns policy.
    Upfront postage costs.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    What type of information would you like to see us publish on a daily/weekly basis?
    </font>

You may as well focus on irish events and teams. The established sites do the rest well enough.
    Would you like to network your home and if so how would you like to use this technology?
    </font>

Maybe, though I'm not too keen on running cable in my rented apartment. If wireless was cheaper...
    If you had £5000 what type of computer platform(s) would you put together?
    </font>

See Kharn's answer.

Give us your opinion on any shop(s) in Ireland you have bought a game?
    </font>

The only games retailer worth anything in Galway is Smyths. Any of the other shops selling games (Compustore, Currys, etc.) are clueless in the extreme. Smyths are always willing to order anything they don't already have in stock.
    We are building this site to server the gamers of Ireland by supplying the software and hardware at the best possible prices. We also plan to make some money to keep in going. What is you opinion on this statement?
    </font>

Fantastic. I hope that it's achieveable.
    Would you buy ADSL now if it were available in your area? How much would you be prepared to pay for it?
    </font>

Absolutely, as long as the price is right. I'd jump at it for £40pm, think a bit at £50pm and I'd probably not get it if it was more again.
    LAN parties are not well enough publicised. How can that be changed? Would TV coverage of such parties be a good idea?
    </font>

Is there a sufficient potential market to make TV advertising practical. I doubt it. The web is probably the best place for the moment.
    For the person who gives the best response to the answers above I will give a copy of Tribes 2, gratis…
    </font>

Have it smile.gif Actually, so has Kharn smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

· Are you interested in buying online at prices that WILL beat high street shops? What would you expect of us when we say we can sell to you with 100% security?
    </font>
    Yep, we're being fleeced in the high-streets
    · What type of information would you like to see us publish on a daily/weekly basis?
    </font>
    Personnally, I'd like to see news of all the formats, also stuff like gadgets, and reports on the going-ons and the whatw-new in general technology. I doubt you'd find enough material to just do Irish News - certainly not daily. It would be great if you had some editorials giving the staff's thoughts/views aswell.

· Would you like to network your home and if so how would you like to use this technology?
    </font>
    My house is currently networked, my brother use it the odd time, mainly for leeching saved games and mp3s from each other. Partial to the odd bit of lan gaming aswell.

</font>
    Athlon 1.4mhz, 384mb ram, geforce3, basically what everyone else has mentioned smile.gif
    </font>
    They're all fairly similair, Virgin and HMV seem to ignore the PC mostly though (and indeed the N64). GAME is good for choice - although it helps to have a reward card when buying - and PC World is good for.. PC games funnily enough wink.gif

· We are building this site to server the gamers of Ireland by supplying the software and hardware at the best possible prices. We also plan to make some money to keep in going. What is you opinion on this statement?
    </font>
    You have to make a profit, as long as the products are relatively cheap and you're reliable, I se no problem. Shopping Online hasn't really taken off here yet though

· Would you buy ADSL now if it were available in your area? How much would you be prepared to pay for it?
    </font>
    I'd pay an arm and a leg for it. I'm a farily heavy internet user so it probably work out way cheaper for me anyway.

· LAN parties are not well enough publicised. How can that be changed? Would TV coverage of such parties be a good idea?
    </font>
    By having some sort of Irish Gaming Body that pimps the lans...
    TV coverage isn't a good idea in my opinion((maybe for competitive lans - but we don't get many round these parts), lans usually involve people not taking things seriously and having fun smile.gif

Also, I'm interested in how you can offer online shopping without any type of card, can you post some details up?

Eye ham zee Walroos.
    You ham zee Flyhead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 donie

Hi again guys

Thanks for the positive response. Glad to see there might be a market for what we are trying to achieve. We want it to be the benchmark here in Ireland and positive vibes always gives up encouragement.

I'm hoping for a few more replies before I decide to give the prize to. Actually, it doesn't have to be Tribes 2 considering ye already have it.

I cannot give out information relating to the shopping system as ALL the details have not been agreed. When it's ready though, we have no problems giving out the details of how it will operate. We are developing the software so that it can used on other sites too. It's written in Java though so you'll need a host that supports it. I'm actually writing it at the moment. We're quite well qualifies here at this end smile.gif You'd be surprised what software engineers do in their spare time. Then again, maybe you wouldn't.

Again, thanks for the replies. More responses would make my job easier, so we'll let this run for maybe a week or two. I'll be keeping an eye....

Regards
    Donie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Dark-Ninja

Originally posted by donie:

</font>
    Definitely, high prices sukk frown.gif and 100% security sounds good biggrin.gif

</font>
    Lots of games reviews and stuff like gadgets and cool things like that, just stuff which will get me knowledgeable of the present.

</font>
    I also already have a network in my house (3 pc's) its very handy that i can use my bro's mp3's, we can play lan's, both go on the internet at same time, its rather kewl.

</font>

I don't know much bout pc's frown.gif sorry, im too young i havent yet learnt bout like athlon's and stuff like that.

</font>

I dont live in Ireland, but i know lots of the shops are in Wales as well. I go to a shop called Special Reserve down near London where my dad's flat is when i go down on the train from wales i go to that shop, i buy all of my games/accessories from there whenever i can, they have very cheap prices for members and cheap prices for non-members also.

</font>
    I agree, making cheap prices is great and all but if there so cheap u must be getting them from somewhere really cheap otherwise ur gonna fall down in about 3 months.

</font>
    Heh heh i have cable na na na na na smile.gif I live in Wales, its sooo easy 2 get it over here smile.gif

</font>

Newspapers? TV's sounds an ok idea, but yea it will probably end up as a competitive LAN rather than a fun one. you should just post it up on your site.

Also, I'm interested in how you can offer online shopping without any type of card, can you post some details up?

</font>

Sorry i dont know about that question there.

I hope ive been of some help im too young to know alot about pc's and things though.

Tribes 2? hmmmm i dont like games like that but i sure wouldnt mind giving it a go tongue.gif

|** Signing Off **|
    [-FI-]-Dark-Ninja-
    Vice Clan Leader and Match Arranger

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

</font>

I think the fundamental problem with all current online shops (in Ireland at least) is that they offer no incentive to buy online (look at prizebuy.com). If I wanted to pay high-street shop prices - I would go into a high-street shop. If I had the option to buy cheaper online, I would most certainly make that purchase. I buy at least one game a month, so it would be worth my while.
    </font>
    Upcoming games, reviews, cheats, gadgets, updated at least once a week.
    </font>

I have considered buying the Intel wireless home networking kit (plugs into the USB and allows wireless connection). For now, though, the null-modem cable does the job as both my PC's are within 5 feet of each other.
    </font>

Certainly a home LAN. One dedicated server with several meaty PC's hanging off it. Invite a few of the lads around....heaven.
    </font>

Compustore are expensive and the staff are useless - haven't been there in over a year.

PC-world are a little better and cheaper.
    Game are ok, staff can be a bit hit-and-miss on what they know.
    Electronics Boutique are excellent. Great prices, relatively knowledgeable staff and a loyalty scheme which looks good (I haven't enrolled).
    </font>

I am willing to pay for good customer service and the convenience of buying securely on-line.
    </font>

I would jump at the chance of ADSL. No more than 40 pounds a month flate rate (which I assume it is). Installation no more than 100 pounds. A competent customer support staff is a pre-requisite (i.e. no Chorus)

</font>

As somebody else stated, TV coverage would be a good idea, but the Web provides a better medium. TV schedules do not always suit, the Web is always accessable.

Hi again guys,

The responses are great. I know the questions are a bit long winded but the feedback is excellent. Give me a short answer if you wish. I might consider a prize for the most "interesting".

I am going to post up details in the next few weeks on how our “e-commerce” system is going to work. I need to do this because it is very different than what you are used to (or not as the case might be) and I need your feedback on how you will perceive it. I may also be in a position to reveal our pricing structure.

Keep and eye out….
    Donie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

· Are you interested in buying online at prices that WILL beat high street shops?
    only if buying online is easy to do, requires no credit card, and has quick delivery (i would pay a few quid more for a game if i could get it in eb on dawsonstreet, to be able to play it as soon as i get home, and if i dont like it i can bring it back within 10 days and get money back.

the real incentive to book online i feel would be to preorder the big games. if i stick my name down a nie little script can say "thank you for pre-ordering - you are now the owner of the 3rd game boy advance of the game that we recieve - delivery is scheduled for the 15 june"

What would you expect of us when we say we can sell to you with 100% security?
    i pressume the sequrity that your refer to is that you wont be robbing money from my bank a/c or giving my email to super spam shopping or the girl who send me email every day about a great new free adult site she found (she isnt real guys, its an add)

the latest release dates for games. they are forever slipping and i usulally have to wait a month to get the latest dates in a magazine.

i have a 2 pc network in my house, but one pc is a Pi-100mhz with 24mb or ram - quake runs (just about) on it. I would much prefare an "always on" high speed net connection, so i can play online with my friends more.

1) I would buy a top of the range desktop pc, with a flat lcd screen (i couldnt be bothered listing off the specs - basically as much ram as the mother board can hold)( and the pc would have a silent fan - nice)(and a geforce3 3d card with tv out) (and a sound card with optical in/out -> for cd production) dvd, cdrw, 250mb zip, silent 80gb hard disc. and lots more silent fans, and ill invite garry (de_psire/pi$$er) who works in dnc to overclock everything
    2) i would also treat myself to a nice big home cinema style television with dolby sourround and all the trimmings (but not a wallmounted tv as they would break my £5000 budget).
    3) i would get 2 more pads for my DC and N64 ( i have 2 for each), every game for both formats that got over 4stars in CVG (the only games magazine i trust the reviews in)
    4) arcade sticks for DC (2)
    5) a steering wheel,
    6) 2m extension cord for all controllers (always too short)
    7) a playstion 2
    8) scart leads for them all

the staff in game are very very very arrogant ppl. i dont like them. same goes for eb. i wanta shop i can go to and talk to the ppl behind the counter about games, and play the demo machines (why are the control pads always plugged out of the machines?) - and the ppl in game recommend stupid games for mums. like fifa. you should say "im sorry we dont sell fifa. this is ISS PRO EVOLUTION 2, when your sone "gets some skillz" he will thank you.

· We are building this site to server the
    gamers of Ireland by supplying the software and hardware at the best possible prices. We also plan to make some money to keep in going. What is you opinion on this statement?

the fact that you misspelt the word "serve" as "server" looks very much like the word "sever". this is a bad omen. you must pack up and never ever try to open a website ever again :0)

i am a student so i would have to ask daddy eek.gif my last phone bill was £75 for the net (isdn 64k) which averages at 3 hours a night, weekdays, 8 hours a day at weekends eek.gif

Big adds in the windows of game shops, a website specifically for siging your name up. also lans need to be ruled and have rules so that winners can win prizes. tv would be great. a little half our program on a sunday night instead of glenroe would be uber cool. remeber gamesmaster... nyom-nyom-nyom. but no lame children on it who are in need of skills. we want snaggle vs. stinky on cs_cóck (a counter-strike duel map) to see who is the leetest brother. the games show on sky one is pathetic. 5 mins of edited counter-strike csa versus 4k om-nyom-nyom.

- Dead Bank Clerk -
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll
    be warm for a day. Set a man on
    fire, and he'll be warm for the
    rest of his life."

[This message has been edited by DeadBankClerk (edited 14-05-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Are you interested in buying online at prices that WILL beat high street shops? What would you expect of us when we say we can sell to you with 100% security?

err, it means you won't **** off with all my hard earned money. smile.gif

What type of information would you like to see us publish on a daily/weekly basis?

General gaming news, and release dates. the release dates have to be up to date. it would be worse if you did a half-arsed effort than doing no effore at all.

Would you like to network your home and if so how would you like to use this technology?
    Yes, and for gaming.

If you had £5000 what type of computer platform(s) would you put together?

see DBC's post. eek.gif!

Give us your opinion on any shop(s) in Ireland you have bought a game?

sometimes thay can be right clowns.

We are building this site to server the gamers of Ireland by supplying the software and hardware at the best possible prices. We also plan to make some money to keep in going. What is you opinion on this statement?

if you can do what you say, and get it right, then you deserve to make money.

Would you buy ADSL now if it were available in your area? How much would you be prepared to pay for it?

yes, but at the right price. about £20-£30.

LAN parties are not well enough publicised. How can that be changed? Would TV coverage of such parties be a good idea?
    one website, that covers all LAN parties, and allowns you to book / cancel (if needed) your place at the event. also, when you buy a game in this country, there should be a label on the box or the salesperson should tell you about this site. so many people play online games, and don't know about the irish 'scene'.

hope this helps smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Are you interested in buying online at prices that WILL beat high street
    shops? What would you expect of us when we say we can sell to you with 100%
    security?

I would be definitely interested in buying online. Currently, there is very
    little choice when it comes to where you purchase games from, with
    Electronics Boutique having a monopoly of sorts due to their ownership of
    Game. I would be very happy to see some real competition! With regard to the
    security of your site, I would obviously only make a purchase if there was
    full encryption protecting my credit card details, 128 bit if possible.
    Being able to return the games if I wasnt satisified would also be a real
    bonus. Perhaps introduce an incentive scheme for repeat customers?

What type of information would you like to see us publish on a
    daily/weekly basis?

The information that I would find the most compelling would probably be news
    related to the latest games releases across all platforms as well as
    hardware news in the PC world. Simply providing links to stories of interest
    such as Previews, Reviews etc. would be excellent. www.bluesnews.com is a
    website which I feels does this very well, and following it's format would
    certainly gaurantee visitors. Another aspect of the site which I feel could
    really help with visitor numbers and word of mouth information would be a
    forum, as you can see from www.boards.ie, these can be very successful!

Would you like to network your home and if so how would you like to use
    this technology?

I would be thrilled to network my home! Being able to access the Internet
    from anywhere in the house would be excellent. Having connectivity between
    several games consoles/PC's would allow me to have a home LAN of sorts. I
    used to bring my PC up to my friends house and we would play Doom 2 and Duke
    Nukem 3d via a serial cable. It was the best multiplayer fun I have ever
    had!

If you had £5000 what type of computer platform(s) would you put
    together?

If I had £5000 I would certainly look into setting up a home network! Rather
    than spending all the money on one uber PC, I would spread it around and
    have maybe three PC's that could play Multiplayer games and DVD movies etc.
    Each PC would have perhaps one specific strength. One for DVD's, MP3's etc.

Give us your opinion on any shop(s) in Ireland you have bought a
    game?

I live in Dublin, and as a result, I only really buy games from the "big
    two" (or rather "big one"), which are Electronics Boutique and Game. I find
    them good price wise, and I am also very happy with their 10 day no fuss
    return policy which I have made use of quite frequently. Their use of
    Loyalty Cards has certainly influenced my decisions when buying games, and I
    have often decided to go specifically to EB or GAME because I hold a card
    with them. This is a very effective means of keeping the customer! However,
    the most powerful marketing tool is low prices, and if you sold games that
    were even £5 cheaper I would be a loyal customer for life :-)! It dismays me
    the way that GAME and EB are mirrors of each other, and that includes price
    as well as everything else! It would be enourmously refreshing to see some
    competition!

We are building this site to server the gamers of Ireland by supplying
    the software and hardware at the best possible prices. We also plan to make
    some money to keep in going. What is you opinion on this statement?

This statement makes me feel positive simply because you plan to offer games
    and hardware at good prices. This is what the gamers of Ireland have been
    waiting for! I sincerely hope you succeed.

Would you buy ADSL now if it were available in your area? How much would
    you be prepared to pay for it?

I would LOVE to buy ADSL! Myself and many others are champing at the bit to
    get this technology, and are really dismayed at the slow pace of
    introduction in Ireland. I want this above all else! As for pricing, £40 per
    month is what I would ne willing to pay. That includes limitless access with
    no limitation on the amount I can download per month. But I digress, just
    having this technology available would make me and many others so very happy
    indeed :-).

LAN parties are not well enough publicised. How can that be changed?
    Would TV coverage of such parties be a good idea?

I agree that LAN parties are not well publicised. I would say that the
    gaming community in Ireland, especially PC based, would be too small to
    justify prime-time television coverage of such events, but having it placed
    in niche time slots such as late at night would probably be more acceptable
    to Television companies. I for one would love to watch a LAN party program on
    TV. Getting back to how LAN parties are publicised, I think advertising of
    such events on the radio or in targetted print media would be effective.
    Gaming retail outlets could also have leaflets giving information on future
    LAN events. This would be effective in reaching the people who would consider going to LAN's but do not know about them. It is hard to find info on them if your not in the community!

Hi Guys

Who am I going to give the prize to? What game will the winner get?

Cheers
    Donie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

My thats a thinly veiled atttempt at moving the post to the top biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Dark-Ninja

Me me me me me i want the prize i want the prize!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
    hehehehehe

ummm a new pc would b nice, please make it have a dvd player and a T3 connection with it also, please, thanks smile.gif rofl i can hope

|** Signing Off **|
    [-FI-]-Dark-Ninja-
    Vice Clan Leader and Match Arranger

Hi all

Just a note to let you know what you think of our new "e-commerce” system. It’s a lot different than you’re used to and I want some feedback on what you guys think of it…

The system is designed to work as follows…

· When you click on “buy” on any of our products it will be placed in your shopping cart as usual…
    · After you have selected all the products you want you click “check out” as normal
    · We will ask you for your name, address, phone number and e-mail address
    · We will generate a form for you to print out with a reference number which you can use to pay for the product at your local bank or by telephone banking
    · When we get notified of the payment we look up the reference number and retrieve your order from our own records.
    · The product is shipped as normal

We are using this system because commercial systems for e-commerce are really expensive and are also not secure due to the fact that your card details are entered over the web. It doesn’t matter which system you use as in all cases your card number is stored somewhere. You have no way of really knowing if the remote system is fully secure.

With this method the transaction you do is totally secure, as even we will not know any details of how you paid us.

The contract you pass through when you buy from us binds us to handle your order honestly.

The bank will reverse the money transfer in the case of order cancellations. We will probably need to give the bank your phone number to do this as they would need to know your bank account number. We will only instruct the bank to do this. We will not ask you for your bank details.

The only issue I see is that you MUST ensure the reference number we give you for the order is used as a payment reference. However, I am assured by the bank that even if it isn’t they can trace the owner.

Once you place the order it will remain valid for one month. After this time the order will expire so you must make sure you pay for the order within this time. It will not be shipped until payment is received.

OK, that’s it. It’s simple really. There are some issues at our end to sort out but basically, that’ll be the way you see it from your end.

Comments are welcome, good and bad.
    Regards

Donie Kelly

Hi

Just to give our vote on the winner for answering the questions above. We've decided to give it to ....

Lex Diamonds
    Well done Lex. I've already contacted your via e-mail for your shipping details.

Thanks to all those who took part. We'll be having more of these at a later date so keep and eye out...

Regards
    Donie Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

We will generate a form for you to print out with a reference number which you can use to pay for the product at your local bank or by telephone banking
    </font>

so i presume we can use online banking to do it and then we dont have to go near the phone smile.gif
    ppl in real life are all so stupid smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

We are using this system because commercial systems for e-commerce are really expensive and are also not secure due to the fact that your card details are entered over the web. It doesn’t matter which system you use as in all cases your card number is stored somewhere. You have no way of really knowing if the remote system is fully secure.</font>

It's no more secure then handing your card over to a waiter and the waiter going back into the kitchen with it.

Actually most banks offer "One-time" Credit card numbers for ordering online. Also paying by credit card offers other protection that paying by cash (bank) does not.

While e-systems are expensive, they are certainly secure enough to do business with. Otherwise a large portion of the net wouldn't be here.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Also paying by credit card offers other protection that paying by cash (bank) does not</font>
    This is true, but the main reason for the protection on credit cards is that the system is not totally secure in the first place. Granted, if you buy something and there is a real problem then you have some fallback.

The fact of the matter in reality is, that we will be a company working within the confines of the law and will be easily contactable about any issues that arise. The principle is the same for all businesses.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> so i presume we can use online banking to do it and then we dont have to go near the phone </font>
    The reason I didn’t mention online banking was that there is no mechanism to enter a reference number on a standard account at the moment. Maybe we can go some way to changing this in the future…

Please let us know whether you would use this system or not.
    This is useful information to us…

Regards
    Donie Kelly

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

That sounds good mate - not all of us have the luxury of a credit card (yet in my case).

There can never be 100% security, but this way, more of the target market can get in on the act and make the purchases they want!

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    We were all set for a game of Ice Hockey when Frank Williams says "Sorry lads, I've forgotten my skates!"
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    Tribes 2 Goodness
    The Dawn of the Beefy King approaches...

• Advertisement
Advertisement