Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVB Widescreen Digital Terrestrial TVs

• 08-04-2001 12:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Just saw an ad on UTV asking ppl that when buying a widescreen tv to make sure it has a DVB sticker on it.And you will never guess what they showed on the ad and even talked about.Thats right,the ever until now elusive TVYou!Seems that they are actually telling ppl how to recieve this channel.Before hand they just had an ad with clips of Jerry Springer,Corrie and Letterman,but didnt tell any1 how 2 get it.I wonder was there any less technical minded ppl wondering why they didnt have it?Well basically,from what i saw DVB seems to be an FTA system.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

DVB is the Digital Video Broadcasting standard. AFAIK it doesn't just apply to DTT but to all digital modes - though in the UK's its now been used to promote DTT.

ONdigital apparently made this particular commerical - although I expect UTV and Scottish Television helped regionalise it for their particular second channels (UTV-2 and S2). (You can tell ITV Network Centre didn't do it - it used a "made up" ITV ident instead of the proper one).

Odd that they promoted UTV-2 (formerly TVyou) as "The Best of ITV" rather than UTV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I don't really understand this discussion but I wonder if it's related to a question I want to ask?

Is there any kind of standard for digital tuners? That is... in the future will there be VCRs available that can choose multiple digital channels for taping, assuming they are FTA? That is, will the digital tuners that are in STBs be merged into VCRs and TVs...

I know you can get TVs with Ondigital STBs built in but I suppose I'm really thinking of VCR functionality... and I know that the DTT/SKY/Chorus Dig are all different standards, so what will a future VCR be able to do?

John McD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

"Well basically,from what i saw DVB seems to be an FTA system."

DVB TVs sold in the UK can receive FTA channels plus OnDigital services (with a supplied CAM). OnDigital give a few free months subscription with every set sold to entice people to carry on afterwards.

DVD TVs basically receive the same signals as OnDigital STBs. This campaign is to let people know that digital TV doesn't necessarily mean Pay-TV.

Advertisement