Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

surf with limits- ireland offline support Petition

Options
  • 27-05-2001 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Congratulations to the indivduals who have started such a worthy campaign-
    In addition to your efforts I have set up an independant petiton calling for reform of the telecomunications sector in Ireland, where visitors to my sites can sign. the main url in support of the Ireland Offline campaign can be found @ http://surfwithlimits.stauntonline.com

In the words of Public Enemy....
    "FIGHT THE POWERS THAT BE"

80p.

80project.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hmm. Two petitions? I don't understand why.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Same here.

I think that one single unanimous concerted effort toward our shared goal is the best idea and we should push for that. IrelandOffline is that and www.irelandoffline.com is where it's at... (with much development, improvement and extra features yet to come!).

Bard
    First motorbike in the bible ???? - a Triumph! - 'And yea verily did Moses strike down the ammmanites, - and all the land did hear the roar of his triumph !!!'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 80project.com:

In addition to your efforts I have set up an independant petiton
    </font>

Not to take away from the great initiative you showed in getting this off the ground, but I think we are in a stronger position at this stage as we have a group working on this, we have good media contacts and we are meeting with Esat this Wednesday.

As we are working to the same objectives, could we co-operate on this?

For eaxample you could maybe put a link to www.irelandoffline.com on your site and email your existing contributers asking them to register with us as well.

Sorry,

There was no intention to cause a rift in the camp- I was aiming @ diverting visitors to my site in the direction of the campaign. The idea of the petition was to augment the cause by making people not already aware there is a genuine effort to force change. I am aware there is an e-mail with a link back to both the petititon and irelanndoffline circulating as well, so the snowball seems to be rolling!

I personally do think the best way forward @ the moment is to get the ODTR to force the Telecoms to intro a flat rate now, as the infrastructue for broadband is a bit down the road. If this petition in some way speeds this up- well then we'll all be laughing (or is that surfing!?)

Overall, personally i'm 100% behind your campaign and the more signatories to any protest can only help

80p.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by o_donnel_abu:
    we are meeting with Esat this Wednesday.
    </font>

Good Luck wink.gif !!

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by o_donnel_abu:
    we are meeting with Esat this Wednesday.
    </font>

Let us know how you get on, ok???

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Delphi91:
    Let us know how you get on, ok???

</font>

Watch this space smile.gif

Cant wait to hear how the meeting goes! Best of luck!

o_donnel_abu,

How'd it go? Anything to worth report from your meeting?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gunn4r:
    Cant wait to hear how the meeting goes! Best of luck!</font>

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Straker:
    o_donnel_abu,

How'd it go? Anything to worth report from your meeting?

</font>

Please see separate thread "Report of Esat meeting today"

• Advertisement

OY!!!

Im being forgotten here!!

What about my site, and my petition! Which as far as I know came into being before either of the other two on this thread!

Everyone is forgetting about me!

http://uie.8m.com

--Chris--

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chris_533976:
    OY!!!

Im being forgotten here!!

What about my site, and my petition! Which as far as I know came into being before either of the other two on this thread!

Everyone is forgetting about me!

--Chris--
    </font>

Chris

You did a good job on this - 477 signatures is a great achievement.

Only point I would make is that we don't want to divide our efforts here.

As I suggested to 80project in earlier posting, not to take away from what you have achieved, but I think we are in a stronger position at this stage as we have a group working on this, we have good media contacts, we have already had one meeting with esat and have been promised another soon.

As we are working to the same objectives, could we co-operate on this?

For eaxample you could maybe put a link to www.irelandoffline.com on your site and email your existing contributers asking them to register with us as well

BTW, I think some of the other stuff on your site is really good too. When we get our own site tidied up, we will be looking at adding related links - i will certainly recommend yours.

As pointed out we all should remain together on this one- i have both the IrelandOffline & my petition links on my site- but I'm not in any way going to continue updating mine- IrelandOffline is the way forward-

Congrats to all who have signed any petition and if worse comes to worse we can always print out all this signatures and bomb ACT w/ loads of snail mail-

Regarding also other posts relating to the publicity- 2 people (not ordinarily tech/web interested) randomly mentioned the campaign to me in UCD today- So there is definite public interest- The infamous "2000 SNL" letter recipients have also now been firmly enshrined in the annals of Irish Internet History- but lets not just be remembered for the ruckus we've kicked up but for actually achieving something-

80p. cool.gif

80project.com

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 80project.com:
    but lets not just be remembered for the ruckus we've kicked up but for actually achieving something-

80p. cool.gif

</font>

Working on it smile.gif

Advertisement