Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what's true? Do we believe ACT or 1800 923 111?

Options
  • 31-05-2001 11:25am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

According to Elana:

"2. Cut off date and billing. If you have gotten The Letter, and you are due to be cut off tomorrow, you have a minor reprieve. The billing cycle at Esat is in 3 parts, the 8th, the 16th or the 24th of each month. For example, our bill runs from the 8th to the 8th. Since our bill runs out on the 8th, we will have our last day on the 8th. If your bill runs to the 16th, you will be cut off on the 16th and the same with the 24th. No one will be cut off before 8th June."

According to 1800 923 111:

"Please note that off-peak rates will apply to IOL NoLimits customers from Friday June the 1st at 6pm, and will end on Tuesday June 5th at 8am."

So if I'm to read all this at face value, we're being supplied with disinformation by Esat. Sure, the service might continue until the end of my billing cycle, but what about the call charges? C'mon Esat, 'fess up and tell it straight!

adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

That's just to let you know that the Bank Holiday is included within the 'off-peak' period - i.e. good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

er... yeah... chill out, Adam! smile.gif

Bard
    Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

To be honest with you Bard, I can't chill out. The whole farce has made me so angry I feel like going postal on their asses. Angry at Esat for the incompetent way it was handled, and is still being handled; angry at Eircom for being the real source of the problem; and angry at the ODTR and the government for not nailing Eircom to the cross. When I was on the phone to Esat earlier I was shaking with the pent up frustration and pure, unadulterated hatred for the lot of 'em. Literally, shaking. I wanted to pull that smug little assh0le out of the phone, cut off his head and use it as a bong to cool myself down.

Thank god I don't work at An Post, that's all I can say.

adam

Course, I'm a pacifist by nature, so I'd never do something like that in real life. It doesn't mean I can't use my imagination though...

POP! Hmmm, a generator, I wonder what that's for?

POP! POP! Ooh, look, jumper cables and a couple of sponges!

POP! Wow! It's the oriental guy from Lethal Weapon!

POP! POP! Ah, and two members of senior management of Eircom, now I understand...

Anyone got a bucket of water?

Oh, yeah...

smile.gif

adam

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:
    I was shaking with the pent up frustration and pure, unadulterated hatred for the lot of 'em. Literally, shaking. I wanted to pull that smug little assh0le out of the phone, cut off his head and use it as a bong to cool myself down.
    </font>

Christ, that's a bit strong, isn't it? "Hatred"???

They may be struggling, but they've been shown the issues, spoken about it face to face with Elana and Martin, and they *are* trying.

[pedantry ON]
    "Unadulterated" = "pure", by the way wink.gif It's like saying "a happy, joyous, blissful, rapturous, pleasurable, pleasing occasion"
    [pedantry OFF]

... okay... I'm taking the p|ss there wink.gif

Bard

• Advertisement

Next time you're in Cork Niall, drop into a CLUG meeting in the Metropole Hotel on a Thursday and bring up the subject of Eircom or LLU. Watch my face go red and the spittle start to fly. Then decide whether "hatred" is appropriate...

My dictionary says "pure" too btw, but as in "nothing added", "not mixed with anything". Which isn't entirely true either, since I don't hate *all* of them, just the people in Eircom blocking LLU, and the people in Esat who wouldn't know damage control if it came up and bit them on the ar5e.

By the way, I'm doing a little poll of my own, tell me whether or not you agree with this:

It's my belief that if Esat had been up-front with the 2000 people they booted from SNL, and explained in simple terms that they were being booted because of the fact that Eircom won't supply flat rate access to Esat; and that Eircom are continuing to block LLU, there still would have been uproar, but it would have been directed at Eircom. Esat users would have been sympathetic towards Esat, and possibly even signed up to IOL Gold out of loyalty created by that sympathy. Eircom would be the ones getting roasted in the press, Ireland Offline would still have been set up, and the awareness of problems in the telecommunications industry in Ireland would have been raised higher in the public eye.

I'm not a marketing expert or a telecommunications expert, but even I can see that, and I honestly believed that that's what Esat would do when they started to kill off Surf NoLimits, which was absolutely inevitable. Esat have thrown away the best chance they had of embarassing Eircom publicly and even bringing them to heel somewhat. And they continue to ignore the opportunity, even though they still have the chance to put it right.

Do you:

a) Agree Strongly
    b) Agree Somewhat
    c) Do Not Agree or Disagree
    d) Disagree Somewhat
    e) Disagree Strongly

adam

I agree somewhat.

I think it's important to note that Esat/IOL have acknowledged that they have handled the situation very poorly with regard to public relations and are willing to work towards resolving the situation as best they can.

I'm not saying that hatred is too strong a word for your feelings... I'm saying that hatred itself is a bit too strong a feeling to have towards these people. Hate their actions, hate their mistakes, hate their attitudes if you must... but don't hate the people themselves, - that's unfair.

I don't get down to Cork that often... or at all, in fact... which is unfortunate. Nice place, and some lovely people.

Bard

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 01-06-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:

It's my belief that if Esat had been up-front with the 2000 people they booted from SNL, and explained in simple terms that they were being booted because of the fact that Eircom won't supply flat rate access to Esat; and that Eircom are continuing to block LLU, there still would have been uproar, but it would have been directed at Eircom.
    </font>

Agree completely, and this is one of the things we hit Esat with.

We pointed out to ACT that Esat won a lot of loyalty when they first introduced SNL, now they've blown it. We argued strongly that they need to do something fast to recover their position as many of the people they have upset are potential broadband users and the way things are, it is highly unlikely that they will return to Esat when this becomes available.

Whilst he didn't say much, I got the impression that they hadn't thought this one through - they had assumed (again IMO) that most of the heavy users were 'napster downloader' types, hence the tone of their original letter. I think that this is one of the key things he wants to 'consider' before he comes back to us.

Martin

[This message has been edited by o_donnel_abu (edited 01-06-2001).]

Advertisement