Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a call to arms...

Options
  • 02-06-2001 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

The one thing this whole fiasco has brought forward is the fact that this is a widely and sorely shared problem... What we as the end-users have on our side to our benfit is a)more man-power and b)more skill.
    As cheesy at it may sound - if we all acted together as one and boycotted services on planned days etc we would undoubtedly attract media attention and be able to highlight Eircom's wrong-doings... another example of something like this might be to send a chain letter (as much as I normally hate them!) explaining to everyone in the world that Ireland has 3rd world internet facilities... and on the second point - between us we could easily outsmart the companies technicians etc and bring all their servers etc to a halt (ddos etc), granted that would make things worse in the short term but I'm sure again it would bring mass media attention - imagine the headlines?! "USERS UNHAPPY WITH INTERNET SERVICE DECIDE TO BRING COUNTRY'S TELECOMMUNICATIONS TO A HALT!" - watch how quickly ODTR would jump in then!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by a*p:
    The one thing this whole fiasco has brought forward is the fact that this is a widely and sorely shared problem... What we as the end-users have on our side to our benfit is a)more man-power and b)more skill.
    As cheesy at it may sound - if we all acted together as one and boycotted services on planned days etc we would undoubtedly attract media attention and be able to highlight Eircom's wrong-doings...
    </font>

Now this could be a good idea...if we brought the media attention to it.
    another example of something like this might be to send a chain letter (as much as I normally hate them!) explaining to everyone in the world that Ireland has 3rd world internet facilities... </font>

No one in the rest of the world cares. Really. And there's no way that most people I know would either read or disseminate a chain letter, as they are the bane of the Net.
    and on the second point - between us we could easily outsmart the companies technicians etc and bring all their servers etc to a halt (ddos etc), granted that would make things worse in the short term but I'm sure again it would bring mass media attention - imagine the headlines?! "USERS UNHAPPY WITH INTERNET SERVICE DECIDE TO BRING COUNTRY'S TELECOMMUNICATIONS TO A HALT!" - watch how quickly ODTR would jump in then!</font>

Yes, the ODTR and any kind of Gardi Computer Squad (is there one?). I'm not goint to do anything illegal for this. We are trying to make a respectible name for the group and Irish Net users in general. Cracking Esat's servers and DDOS and other things along those lines would make the ODTR not pay attention to us at all.

E

As cheesy at it may sound - if we all acted together as one and boycotted services on planned days etc we would undoubtedly attract media attention and be able to highlight Eircom's wrong-doings</font>

At the moment we are getting a fair bit of interest from media, but this idea might be useful at some stage.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    ... another example of something like this might be to send a chain letter...outsmart the companies technicians etc and bring all their servers etc to a halt
    </font>

NO !!!!!!!
    If this organisation even thinks about chain letters or spam or any form of sabotage, I for one will have nothing to do with it and I suspect that I am speaking for the vast majority of members here.

[This message has been edited by o_donnel_abu (edited 02-06-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by o_donnel_abu:

NO !!!!!!!
    If this organisation even thinks about chain letters or spam or any form of sabotage, I for one will have nothing to do with it and I suspect that I am speaking for the vast majority of members here.
    </font>

You're certainly speaking for me there. I agree 100%.

-Niall-

Bard
    Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Any of the above message illegal activity would only do damage to achieving the goals of getting afforable access.

There is I believe allot of support in the business community for what we are aiming
    for here. We the end user are not only ones
    this effects.

Any business that have invest money and resources into building a website target to the Irish Home User is also effected.

If the unbundling is delayed longer and there isn't Flat Rate access. Then they
    might as well
    'write off there sites as a bad debt'.

Best regards,
    John O Connell.

[Corrected some typo's]

[This message has been edited by corkie (edited 02-06-2001).]

Originally posted by corkie:

Any business that have invest money and resources into building a website target to the Irish Home User is also effected.

If the unbundling is delayed longer and there isn't Flat Rate access. Then they
    might as well
    'write off there sites as a bad debt'.

Best regards,
    John O Connell.

Very Valid Point

The business community are in turn suffering as well- Making Ireland out as an IT Hub is aj oke and thats why most of the real Internet players aren't coming near Ireland because of the level of home usage- ie....
    www.amazon.ie ?? Thats why we're all paying well over the odds for P & P as well.

The campaign is getting through to people and thats why engaging in any type of subversive activity will discredit any concessions won hither-to-fore.

Lets be vigilant but legal.

(and its not only because I'm a law student- we're actually the biggest crooks in Ireland !- well after Eircom!)

80p.

80project.com

• Advertisement

... - between us we could easily outsmart the companies technicians etc and bring all their servers etc to a halt (ddos etc), granted that would make things worse in the short term but I'm sure again it would bring mass media attention - imagine the headlines?! "USERS UNHAPPY WITH INTERNET SERVICE DECIDE TO BRING COUNTRY'S TELECOMMUNICATIONS TO A HALT!"</font>

What a childish attitude!!!!

The type of media attention that you'll get from that is the WRONG kind! Personally I will not be associated with anyone who tries that approach. I can do very well without being labelled a hacker which is what the group would be labelled. And yopu can be damn sure that ESAT would cut our access there and then.

The only approach to solving(?) this situation is by negotiation and by a media campaign.

The suggestion in another post of contacting the possible purcahsers of Eircom is an excellent one.

Mike

I think a good thing to do in order to get support is to write a letter to Forfás, IBEC and Forbairt ( or any other such state business development agencies ) and remind them that eircoms exorbirant prices for net access is damaging current businesses ( especially new enterprises and SME's). Eircoms actions are also stunting the growth of Ireland as an E-commerce centre. This should be brought to their attention by email or letter and maybe we can have them join our side into pressuring the Government and Eircom to release Broadband or some sort of flatrate 24hr dialup solution. Any thoughts? Would be helpful if we had IBEC on our side along with Forfás etc...

Matfin smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Matfinn:
    I think a good thing to do in order to get support is to write a letter to Forfás, IBEC and Forbairt ...Would be helpful if we had IBEC on our side along with Forfás etc...

Matfin smile.gif
    </font>

Good ideas

We did talk at our formative meeting about getting businesses involved but haven't done anything about it yet.

Added to our action list smile.gif

Martin Harran

If you read this:

"
    Cheap broadband vital for hub status
    By Ian Guider - IrishExaminer (Dated 1 June)

IRELAND will lose its position as a major European software hub if cheaper access to broadband technology is not available quickly, the Irish Software Association conference was warned yesterday. "

from the examiner the bussiness are aware of the issues and are doing there bit as
    well to put pressure on the companies
    that are holding the country back!

Best regards,
    Corkie.

Well thats good that you have pinned that idea of bringing in IBEC etc to this fray, as it will help our cause enourmously. We need more support to get Eircom and the government off their arses. Now it i know for sure that xDSL is a distant hope, as our country hasnt the infrastructure for it ( hte ISPs dont have the linespeed or equipment), so we should work towards getting 24hr flatrate and then getting the government to plant 8gb fiber optic wires or whatever.

Matfin wink.gif

• Advertisement

I can understand where your coming from on this........but really, any kind of denial of service attack on the telecommunications structure or specific ISP's would be counterproductive and I'd agree with people who won't have anything to do with it, it's too aggressive and will not serve our interests at all...however on the positive side, a collective boycott or even the threat of one might hold some merit.

I get on average a couple of so-called chain letters every month and loads of spam every day.....i don't read them but delete them, I dare say that most people would do the same of anything we'd produce from our group too. So i think that wouldn't do much to help us either. I think the media can make people more aware of our status regarding e-commerce and the general state of internet access in Ireland.

Whats been achieved at the moment in such a short time has been successful, and i would urge everyone no matter how tempting it would be to "lash out" to stay on the right side of situation....let us the user base show that we, unlike some of the tele companies out there are responsible and honerable people. But keep thinking about how we can drive this forward some of your suggestions have some merit in them.

regards.......

I agree in peacefull and legal means of attracting attention to our situation, but really, there is no point in giving out about Eircom, even boycotting them. They won't care in the slightest frown.gif . Just imagine you were in their situation.

IE, you were selling your car in 2 weeks time. Would you bother spending lots of money getting alloy wheels, a paint job and a engine change ????????? HELL NO. Whats the point if your only going to have the car for another 2 weeks ...

As 80project said in another post, the real people we sould be contacting is Denis O'brien and the other biders for Eircom, thats where the future lies and our hopes of broadband in the form of xDSL !

www.EFtraining.com

http://www.thealexandriaclan.barrysworld.net

Advertisement