Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are they all ??

Options
  • 02-06-2001 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

One thing worries me about all this and that is that so far there have been just 49 posts to the forum !!! And some of those, or lots of them, were posts by the same people. So, there are supposed to be 26,000 of us on the "black" list ?? As only about 30 or so have posted anything, how many 'hits' has the forum page had ?? Can you tell from 'server Stats' how many visits ?? If the 20,000 odd are all upset, and going to be cut off, where is their presence on the forum ? Surely there should be more posts, and/or more posts of support, if nothing else ?? Maybe I have it all wrong ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think the main reason is that most of the people who use SNL have all been frightened off using the Net out of fear of breaking the spirit of the service- Logging onto the net is now like a poison apple- even I've stopped leaving it on all night and I know a neighbour of mine who didn't receive the infamous letter has curbed back because of the fear of being booted off.

people are just checking their e-mail and then shutting down w/ no time for surfing...

(i think / hope !? )

80p.

80project.com

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by angryuser:
    One thing worries me about all this and that is that so far there have been just 49 posts to the forum !!! </font>

Huh?

There's been almost 300 posts to the forum at the time of writing... see http://www.boards.ie/community/index.html

We're only starting to get a bit of publicity. As regards what you're saying about server stats- well if its stats on popularity of the forum, that's hosted by boards.ie - but you can see how popular it is by the amount and frequency of the posts. As for the main web site, I've put a hit counter on the home page, which should be handy.

I'm not sure what the problem is here (..?)

Bard
    Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Its not a problem Bard. Its just that as there are supposed to be 2,600 Esat SNL users on the blacklist, I wondered where they all are ? i.e: Why are there not more postings on this subject by lots more of the affected people ?? I accept the point about users being scared to use the system other than to check mail, but surely this is playing into the hands of Esat ?? They could well say "we told you so" "the overuse was frivolous use", and now they have stopped ?? I think everyone should continue to use the system up to a reasonable limit of say 60 odd hrs per month ?? Stopping using the system appears to me to be "buckling at the knees" ?? Or at least thats the way Esat will probably look at it ??

I have only posted once onto this forum but like many people who didnt i think its all to do with TIME............ . When are we goin to get DSL from Eircom or Esat or someother company offering a 56k unmetered service within the mean time. As far as Ireland goes the Internet connection availability has been disgrace to so many other countries within Europe let alone worldwide. Surely this is nothing more than a waiting game until someone decides that this service is so badly needed let alone justifyed? On June 16th i am personally finished on the Internet because (1) SNL has formally disconnected me (2) I wont connect to there alternative package out of pure HATE (Its how i feel frown.gif). While the company i work for has leased line i can only drive back to my house and transfer my lunch time habit from a labtop to my comp. I ask only 1 question THEY will decide when it happens ................

[This message has been edited by Unhappy (edited 03-06-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Unhappy (edited 03-06-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by angryuser:
    I think everyone should continue to use the system up to a reasonable limit of say 60 odd hrs per month ??
    </font>

No intention of doing anything like that myself. I probably use it for about 20 hours a month at the most - all of them off-peak. I've far better things to be doing than wasting time sitting in front of a PC just to use up 60 hours of online time.

Bard
    Ying-Tong-Iddle-I-Po!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Wouldn't it be cheaper for you to pay per minute for access to a "free" ISP like eircom.net or ocean if your use is that low? 20 hours is about £10 isn't it ?

- Munch

Advertisement