Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Own ISP :)

Options
  • 03-06-2001 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have an idea and I came up with this while looking at the boards smile.gif I think we ourselves should setup an ISP. It would be something completely independent of Eircom or any other telco and it could be Satellite or Wan based. It seems like a good idea if you think about it. Any one living in the Irish cities could get this setup as Wan equipment is getting much more affordable ( wireless based equipment ). Now this might sound silly at first but if you think about it, a large enough wan based isp consisting of ourselves could work. We are all angry at the state of telecommunications in Ireland and the fact that we are being ****ed around by certain companies. We could make up all the rules, and if we were to do this, it could possibly be a world first, attracting media attention. Make up a non profit driven ISP that seeks to cater for the Irish internet user and not the money. I see a few broadband suppliers like Chorus have put a cap limit on downloads limiting it to 3gb and all, and people like myslef download alot of linux iso's for instance, not to mention the mails i get and things like that. If we setup our own ISP we could avoid things like that. I know the cost might seem alot but it should be looked into anyway, and then we can implement it when prices come down and they become affordable smile.gif.

Have a think on that one and give me any ideas you would like to add smile.gif
    Thanks for Reading

Matfin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

there has been some discussion on this before. overall there's been one common barrier; price. sattelite access is immediately ruled out, if there was cheap access to any existing sattelites you can bet current commercial options would be a lot cheaper. a wirless WAN in itself isnt hugely expensive to set up but AFAIK no real versatile solutions have been proven in the field (cows get in the way).

there are a number of groups having some success with 802.11b though. all telephone system based options are a non starter with LLU etc.

not forgetting the broadband connection needed for sharing.

great idea but...

I think I speak for most-
    However long it takes Eircom & the rest to get their act together it'll probably be quicker than if we attempted it, not to mention the sunk costs, maintenace and requisite tweaking. if something goes wrong on a cold,wet,windy november night I'd rather call a technical support line than bunging on the Oil Skins and Wellingtons and endeavouring to rectify the problem.

Could be a Pet Project you could pursue down the line.
    80p.

80project.com

If some of us were to setup our own isp, I don't think it would be long until we ourselves started putting limits on downloads for other ppl, because one person could be laggin the entire system with constant downloading ...

I realise the intention you have and it is great to get new ideas in, but I don't think this would work frown.gif ! unless one of us wins the lotto ofcourse biggrin.gif !! hehee

www.EFtraining.com

http://www.thealexandriaclan.barrysworld.net

Advertisement