Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web site updates

Options
  • 02-06-2001 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

report on meeting with Esat added to news section
    "where did you hear about us?" question added to feedback form
    links on "ie.comp" text changed to go direct to boards.ie's newsgroup feed

... more to come today including:

hit counter
    page about banner ads

Bard
    Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

okay- if you go to the site now, you *will* be counted!!!... there's a script watching and recording the hits to the home page.

www.irelandoffline.com

Cheers,

"Link to us" page added featuring banners & HTML code for you to use on your site. Let us know if you use one of the banners!

Bard
    Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Niall congrats

You must have my site in mind-
    The orange version slips nicely into my frontpage... http://www.stauntonline.com
    (hopefully its updated- I just uploaded it to my server)

I was thinking of submitting my own ani. gif but I am chuffed w/ yours

By the way If you look on my main page and see the "Esat ConFusion" logo- if you want to make an official banner in that size I'll happily put that there

80p.

80project.com

[This message has been edited by 80project.com (edited 02-06-2001).]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The half-banner is kind of inaccurate, it should read 10x faster. Unless someone seriously thinks we're getting vDSL. Which we're not.

adam

adam, your response was a little cynical.

We're all about to be kicked off SNL so It could be considered a dying mans dream.
    It should be x50 faster and further serves to highlight the inferiority of SNL in its current form.

Lets be Positive and always remember...

If you think You CAN....You will,
    If you think YOU CAN'T....You Won't

80p.

80project.com

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">adam, your response was a little cynical.</font>

I genuinely wasn't being cynical at all 80p, I was being realistic and honest. When xDSL comes into Ireland, it's fairly likely it's going to be ADSL we get, and ADSL works out to about ten times the downstream of 56k, which is what most users have. Why exaggerate? The exaggeration is disinformation, which would make us just as bad as the telco's. Seriously now, do we want to be tarred with the same brush as them? I certainly don't.

adam

well done on the site....it's fleshing out nicely.

is the counter going to be displayed on the home page?

I think that it should be shown because obviously the site is monitered by all the teleco's and perhaps the inclusion of a guest book to compliment the forum might be an idea for people who "just surf in"...like overseas visitors and people who may not want to get involved in the forums but might like to add a comment..at least the message might be made clear to those monitering the site how people feel about the situation.

I think we should all try and do our bit as well to promote the site all over the internet, we cant think small here, we should think globally..thats what the net is all about....right?......

smile.gif regards

good point re: Guestbook-
    Even if people are fully supportive of the cause they may feel intimidated into joining in on some brain storming in the forum-

As you know setting up a gustbook @ any of the free Hosts is very easy or you could use some javascript to customise our own

80p.

80project.com

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:
    When xDSL comes into Ireland, it's fairly likely it's going to be ADSL we get, and ADSL works out to about ten times the downstream of 56k, which is what most users have. Why exaggerate?
    </font>

10 times the downstream of a standard reliable 56K connection would easily be 50 times the speed of the IOL connection I was getting last week. It makes a point.

Bard
    Ying-Tong-Iddle-I-Po!

It does make a point, but I'll reiterate:

Do you really want to mislead people, as Eircom and Esat have done; or do you want to be straight with people, and tell them facts?

Facts make much better ammunition in a war of words, which is the war you're facing.

adam

• Advertisement

The fact is... I think you're attributing far too much importance to the wording of the banner. The fact is also, that the wording of it, and the number used, while extreme, could quite possibly be true for some... I know it would certainly be true for me, comparing DSL with some of the recent connection speeds I've been getting.

I don't see any point in dwelling on this. It's minor in the "grand scheme of things".

Bard
    Ying-Tong-Iddle-I-Po!

Advertisement