Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denis O'Brien ups the ante

Options
  • 03-06-2001 12:33am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Nearly forgot to mention, this appears to be a very clever move on the part of Denis O'Brien. I don't believe that it was an attempt by Mr. O'Brien to deflect attention from his appearance at Moriarty, as De Paper suggests, rather that it's a clever way of getting the Eircom staff on board, who pretty much control the takeover.

adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

IF you saw the tribune today, Tony O'Reilly looks closer to getting the Unions on board-
    He after all is a major employer already in Ireland, allowing Unions in the various papers etc.-
    Remember Denis O'Brien is flatly against union involment as was the case w/ Esat-
    I do think Denis would do more to solve this predicament if he got the chance!
    ie- No proper Flat Rate etc.
    80p.

80project.com

[This message has been edited by 80project.com (edited 03-06-2001).]

so is it Dennis we should all be supporting out of all the biders for Eircom?

ie, to get the unbundling underway asap !

www.EFtraining.com

http://www.thealexandriaclan.barrysworld.net

Not nessecarily....
    There is evidence of him possesing a JUMP SHIP mentality if things don't go well or there's a quick buck to be made elsewhere.
    As stated in the "Forget Eircom" Thread we should try and get any bidder to commit to plans & then hold them to it. I'd rather see the most ammbitious bidder get it, because @ least they'll own the infrastructure to carry it out!

80p.

80project.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

mm
    my own opinion is that if these bids are heavily leveraged, to get a return the new owners will have to both cut into the costbase, and protect revenue streams.
    Business men will act pragmatically, not ideologically, and if they think it is in their own interests to hold up unbundling, they will do so, no matter what they might say if the shoe were on the other foot, so to speak..
    jd

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

WRT to the bidders for Eircom, I think the target should be to get a clear assurance from them that they will co-operate with the ODTR and the OLO's in unbundling the local loop. And there's no better time to do that now, because you can be sure that you won't get one after the takeover is complete. If Elena and/or Martin are unable to arrange meetings with the relevant parties, maybe it might be an idea to lobby the press to put these questions to them. I'm sure a clued-in journalist like Karlin Killington would be able to arrange a meeting, and would only be too willing to ask the question. It's the most important issue IrelandOffline should be concerned with. LLU is the key to all other issues.

adam

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:
    I think the target should be to get a clear assurance from them that they will co-operate with the ODTR and the OLO's in unbundling the local loop. And there's no better time to do that now</font>

Well said wink.gif ,maybe it should be in the contract !

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:
    WRT to the bidders for Eircom, I think the target should be to get a clear assurance from them that they will co-operate with the ODTR and the OLO's in unbundling the local loop. </font>
    This is a great idea.

Advertisement