Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a call to arms - part deux

Options
  • 04-06-2001 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

sombody in one of the other threads aid that Eircom wouldn't care if we started boycotting their services because they are selling the company soon anyway... they likened it to someone selling their car in a couple of weeks time and therefore not feeling the need to get new rims, engine, etc for it... allow me to use the same simile - if you were selling your car and you had to get rid of it in two weeks time and then all of a sudden people started posting ads in the same paper that you were trying to sell it in, telling all and sundry how bad of a car it was, how the wheels didn't even turn, how the seats were rotten, and the engine was about to fall to pieces - you would be left with alot of explaining to your potential buyers.... not only that but if somebody did buy the car, to avoid ridicule they would have to show why they thought the car was such a good investment by touching it up etc.... so I say - BRING ON THE BOYCOTTS, seriously, let us now enter a serious debate of the pros and cons of boycotting ESAT and EIRCOM on certain days... I hope the staff at Ireland Offline will take control of the developments and organising issues should this be what everybody wants...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by a*p:
    so I say - BRING ON THE BOYCOTTS, seriously, let us now enter a serious debate of the pros and cons of boycotting ESAT and EIRCOM on certain days... </font>

I don't think a boycott is a good idea. The pro's don't outweigh the con's IMHO.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">

I hope the staff at Ireland Offline will take control of the developments and organising issues should this be what everybody wants...

</font>

Staff?... No such thing, mate smile.gif It's not a company. We're all here by our own choice ... voluntarily! We have committee members who have been quite active lately in getting things done.

I, for one, think we're due another public meeting. Anyone agree?

Bard
    Ying-Tong-Iddle-I-Po!

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 04-06-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi a*p, I was the bloke that did that post you were talking about.

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with you when you are saying "boycott eircom",

it just is not worth it. I cannot make sence of your logic of attack. I

don't think that this course of action would get us anywhere.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">not only that but if somebody did buy the car, to avoid ridicule they

would have to show why they thought the car was such a good investment by

touching it up etc.... so I say - BRING ON THE BOYCOTTS</font>

No, this is not a valid enough point to take boycotting as a serious option.

I mean, what are our overall gains if we were to boycott ? The answer is,

MORE DELAYS. Eircom would have trouble selling, and in the worst case,

nobody would buy Eircom, leaving us back at square 1, trying to get the

stubbern Eircom to start unbundling their lines. No, that ain't good enough

for me. I myself have given up on the hope that Eircom will ever introduce

broadband frown.gif

I'm sending a letter to my local TD tonight, saying how bad Ireland's

broadband sector is and how badly it is effecting me and my job/livelyhood

... etc.
    I encourage you all to do the same !

regards,
    ando

www.EFtraining.com

http://www.thealexandriaclan.barrysworld.net

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ando:
    I'm sorry, but I don't agree with you when you are saying "boycott eircom",

</font>

Your probably right!.....but just think of it! If 20,000 users pulled out the phone cord for 24 hours....wow!..I bet that'd make a few members of the board sit up and take notice, might even spur them in to some sort of interim measure.

But it probably will never happen with us...course look at the teachers and their one day stoppages and the nurses etc..I know strikes are different than boycotts! but it would be a powerful weapon if it could be harnessed...

just one small person's wishful thinking smile.gif

Advertisement