Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the next best thing?

Options
  • 04-06-2001 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Ok..so we all know now that no matter how much we complain or rant and rave most of us are being dumped by SNL yes?...right..some of us have been given the idea that we will have the 'imaginary' 75hrs per month honoured and some of us have not...what we all know for certain is that if we have gotten 'the letter' we will be without SNL by the 8th - 24th June yes?...So whats the next best thing??...Say for people who spend an average of 5 off peak hrs per day online..what is the cheapest, best quality package out there??...Who's going with what?? and why??

~Z~

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Now That I would like to know also!!

From my own investigations the norm seems to be 1p per minute off-peak except Indigo who offer off-peak at 11.5p for 15 minutes (vat included).

I have been offered the 75 hours per month deal with Esat. But this will not suffice even with me cutting down drastically so I am going to install UTVInternet also as an additional Service Providor to use occasionally after I reach my 75 hour limit with Esat. UTVInternet are charging 1p per minute off-peak but as they appear to be the only ISP in negotiation with Eircom to provide a flat-rate in Eire I would like to support them.

Thanks Bannerman..thats one to look at that I'v not heard of..where do I find utvinternet?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ~zes~:
    ...So whats the next best thing??...Say for people who spend an average of 5 off peak hrs per day online..what is the cheapest, best quality package out there??...Who's going with what?? and why??
    </font>

My daily usage would be 5 hours typically. So, I've been looking around also.

I'm in the Limerick area and I'm going to see about the Chorus Powernet system. I've watched the posts here and have seen the problems that people have had with Chorus in various parts. But I have to say, that I've been with them for 2-3 years now, and have no complaints. I'm not on a cable system as the people in the city are, but on an MMDS system instead. Maybe that's why I don't seem to have any problems.

Anyway, for £40 a month for 24/7 access, it's not bad. It's certainly a lot cheaper than 5 hours a night using IOL Gold or something similar.

Of course, if I fail to be suitable for Powernet (have to be in line of sight of a transmitter, I believe), then I'll have to look elsewhere. UTVInternet looks great with their unlimited surfing system. I only wish they could operate it "south of the border"

Mike

Thanks Bannerman..thats one to look at that I'v not heard of..where do I find utvinternet?

Zes, You'll find UTVInternet at www.dna.ie

Regards, Bannerman

• Advertisement

There isn't really a next best thing for us, that is why it is so terrible!!! We will basically have to switch back to paying for every second, so we'll just have to stop using the net.
    However I think i am going to go with www.NTL.ie who will offer 48 hours of free access at the weekend to everyone in the Republic ireland. It costs £15 a month (i think), but that includes your cable tv package too which currently costs most people living in cities £8 a month, so it will really only cost £7 a month for 8 days of totally free access. You also have to sign up to their phone package as well though.

It's far from ideal, and I don't know what I am going to do, but i guess I will just have to restrict my usage to the weekends (somehow).

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ~zes~:
    ?...So whats the next best thing??...

</font>

There is no best thing.....well not for me i'm in the south east and there's nothing! I've checked. So I aint gonna use the internet much nor my family, if my son wants to research something for school he'll have to book time at the local library. I'll allow Alfie and Co. about £20 a month that's it tops....that should take care of email and looking in on the boards etc. unfortunately I'll have to give up building websites, it'll be just too costly....(I hope all the local industries take note of my situation and I'm sure many others, like the banking online and online shopping etc. at this stage they're wasting money on sites that no one will be around to visit..)

so really it's goodbye internet frown.gif

til something better comes next year or the year after...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Fionn:
    There is no best thing.....well not for me i'm in the south east and there's nothing! I've checked. So I aint gonna use the internet much nor my family, if my son wants to research something for school he'll have to book time at the local library. I'll allow Alfie and Co. about £20 a month that's it tops....that should take care of email and looking in on the boards etc. unfortunately I'll have to give up building websites, it'll be just too costly....(I hope all the local industries take note of my situation and I'm sure many others, like the banking online and online shopping etc. at this stage they're wasting money on sites that no one will be around to visit..)

so really it's goodbye internet frown.gif

til something better comes next year or the year after...

</font>

This is the kind of letter that should be sent to Eircom, ESAT, the Goverment and the ODTR etc. This would show exactly what kind of effect the lack of broadband and flat rate internet access is having in Ireland.

With your permission Fionn, I would like to copy your post into a letter I am sending to my local TD. PLease tell me if I can use your words wink.gif !

thanks,
    regards,
    ando

www.EFtraining.com

http://www.thealexandriaclan.barrysworld.net

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ando:

With your permission Fionn, I would like to copy your post into a letter I am sending to my local TD. PLease tell me if I can use your words wink.gif !

</font>

Absolutely Ando, go ahead....we've got local elections going on here in our area at present, I'm going to be filling in all the prospective candidates on the dreadful state of affairs we find ourselves in regarding the business, social and educational impact of the less than satisfactory situation that now pertains.

good luck

regards.........

Advertisement