Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Policy Directions

Options
  • 05-06-2001 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

If anyone is wondering where the Government is heading on issues of Internet access, the following recent press release from the Information Society Commission might be of interest:

22nd May, 2001 O? Rourke Announces New Communications Action Plan

From this it looks like they are not realy considering the small business and home user.

I think this is a mistake. I think that nurturing very small businesses is vital for the long term future of the country.

The Government can spend what it likes on regional and international connectivity, but unless there is competition on the local loop, it won't be passed on to the end-user.

<edit: Fixed the link>

[This message has been edited by Skeptic1 (edited 06-06-2001).]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I agree, but unfortunately the current government have always been very unsupportive of small businesses. When I set up four years ago, I assumed I would be able to get some support from the goverment, but I got nada, zip and zilch. No grants, no benefits, no nuthin. It's one of the true flaws of the current government, and it's the reason I'm off to Antigua just as soon as I can afford it. smile.gif

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:
    I'm off to Antigua just as soon as I can afford it. smile.gif

adam
    </font>

I hear it's warm there :P

Advertisement