Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutoff dates / domain names

Options
  • 05-06-2001 8:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Two things:

First of all, I want to let people know that the cutoff dates mentioned by Esat to Elana and Martin may be inaccurate - when I was talking to an Esat support staffer the other day (teeth clenched and fists bunched), he was quite specific in saying that I would be cut off on the 7th, and not the 8th. I presume that we simply won't be able to dial in any more, but I said I'd post it just in case.

Secondly, just an FYI, the domain names eircon.org, telcowatch.org and telco-watch.org now point to irelandoffline.com (although I'm so annoyed of late that I may just stick eircon.org back up again). The default action at the moment is to frame the site on scaryeire, but I'd be only too happy to change it if the organisers wish (I refuse to call them a commitee).

I would also like to suggest, again, that the domain irelandoffline.org be used as the primary for the website, since the .com TLD could be misconstrued, or even used as a sword by a clever Eircon marketing exec. I've registered the domain name, and if control or a perceived conflict of interest is a problem, I'll gladly transfer it to the organisation and/or change the nameservers on request.

The .org domain name should start resolving and framing scaryeire in 12-24 hours.

adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm not sure about the .org thing. The reason being 'ordinary' users will assume .com, and I think .com has moved a long way from its commercial beginnings to the defacto standard. My own opinion is stressing 'irelandoffline' should be enough without confusing the issue with a .org. But it'd be great if the org did point to the com smile.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I feel like a parrot here... smile.gif

I agree that people will assume .com, but when you have both it doesn't matter, you can redirect to the primary. The fact remains that .com was set up to represent commercial entities[1], and IrelandOffline is not a commercial entity, and quite definitely shouldn't be seen as one. .org was never officially defined as for organisations, but that is what it's primarily used for these days, so I believe it's more appropriate.

adam

[1] http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1591.html

There are arguments for both a .org & .com-
    If we could have Irelandoffline pointing to both that would be great.- .org is very pop. in the US but as stated .com is the normal assumption that surfers look for. Most new projects are named not only on merit but on hteir availabilty of the sacred ".com", so maybe we can thrash the argument out later!

Arguments for or against welcomed
    80p.

80project.com

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 80project.com:
    There are arguments for both a .org & .com-

</font>

We discussed this at start of campaign and went for .com mainly for expediency - it was immediately available smile.gif

We did talk about getting .ie as well but haven't done anything on it yet, just hasn't been a priority (also there is a cost involved and we're trying to avoid need for fundraising just yet.)

Martin Harran

Martin Harran

no probs, I'm cool w/ .com anyway

any news on your next meeting w/ ACT?

80p.

80project.com

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 80project.com:
    any news on your next meeting w/ ACT?

</font>

Still waiting and 8th June is getting close
    frown.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:
    The fact remains that .com was set up to represent commercial entities[1], and IrelandOffline is not a commercial entity, and quite definitely shouldn't be seen as one. .org was never officially defined as for organisations, but that is what it's primarily used for these days, so I believe it's more appropriate.</font>

Not really anymore...people just grab the domain names that have their company name in them (www.tv5.org in France, for example). I agree with the .org name, in principle. But as we've never asked for cash from anyone, nor are we set up as a company, Eircom can do what the hell they want. PPppppffffttt :-p to them. :-)

When we first got our domain, the hubby had to create a "group" that seemed like a non-profit organization (that of course was around '92).

E

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:
    Two things:
    Secondly, just an FYI, the domain names eircon.org, telcowatch.org and telco-watch.org now point to irelandoffline.com (although I'm so annoyed of late that I may just stick eircon.org back up again). The default action at the moment is to frame the site on scaryeire, but I'd be only too happy to change it if the organisers wish (I refuse to call them a commitee).
    </font>

Thanks - but I've implemented a javascript 'jump out' so that our own URL is preserved because while I don't know exactly what the legal issues that may arise concerning the name "Eircon" may be, I do know we can do without any serious legal challenges.

As regards the domain name being a .com and not a .org or .ie, I believe this has been addressed already - it boils down to how much it's needed and how affordable it is.

One thing- if you are going to link to or redirect a site to the IrelandOffline site, please use www.irelandoffline.com - while the site may be currently hosted at http://www.scaryeire.com/www.irelandoffline.com/ this may not always be the case (I may have to change the host at some stage yet) - it will always be accessible via www.irelandoffline.com

Thanks,

Bard
    "Henry! The cat wants to go out!" ... "Oh dear, Min! Is he on fire, again?"

Just a reminder....
    the .org domain sifffix is currently in question and the ICANN listings are thinking of reorgainising it along the lines of the .ie and other top level domains, so as to stop abuse.- Although it could be argued we are an "ORG", it would be foolhearty to put all our eggs in one basket as such and then have to change our name if the proposals to reform the .org go ahead!

80p.

80project.com

Advertisement