Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hilarious ODTR Report

Options
  • 05-06-2001 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

oh I won't even begin to rip this apart - it's too funny coming from the ODTR. Note the broadband bits biggrin.gif

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2001/0605/breaking59.htm

Communications market continues expansion

By David Roe Last updated: 05-06-01, 17:24

The Irish communications market continues expand with the sector representing three per cent of the Gross National Product, according to a report released today by the Office of the Director of Telecommunications Regulation (ODTR).

The report, which covers the period January 1st to March 31st, 2001, also shows that new entrants to the fixed line market is now at 20 per cent. However there is also evidence that when benchmarked against other European countries, Ireland’s position fell slightly over the past 12 months.

Total revenues for fixed, mobile and broadcasting markets have increased to £2.5 billion per annum with fixed line revenue accounting for approximately 67 per cent of total telecommunications revenue.

Speaking at the launch of the report, Ms Etain Doyle, Director of Telecommunications Regulation, said that while she was pleased with the results, Ireland could not become complacent.

"While I am pleased to see that the sector continues to expand and consumers in general continue to benefit from liberalisation, Ireland needs to keep the pressure on," Ms Doyle said. "If we do not continue to progress we will fall behind."

The ODTR also commissioned Irish Marketing Surveys to examine the attitudes of large companies to the provision of broadband services in Ireland.

200 interviews were conducted during May 2001. Two thirds of the companies were Irish owned with the balance mainly from the UK and USA but located in Ireland. 75 per cent of the companies had over 100 employees.

Results show that:

the majority in the market believe it is well served by telecommunications services and believe the market for telecommunications including broadband is more competitive than it was twelve months ago.

71 per cent indicate that they intend to expand their broadband usage in the next 12 months.

33 per cent indicated they had difficulties accessing broadband services and of these 36 per cent indicated that this would influence their location decisions.

70 per cent of those surveyed said alternative suppliers had approached them but only 13 per cent have actually switched supplier.
    Over half of the respondents believe the competitiveness of broadband communications had improved in the past twelve months and 53 per cent believed Ireland is well placed to be an e-commerce hub for Europe.

The report also revealed that only 32 per cent of the population had home Internet access at the end of April 2001. According to Nielsen Net Ratings Irish Home users spent an average of 4hrs 20 minutes online in April 2001.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The inaccurate data stems from the average consumer and business lack of understanding of what broadband is. Most people these days think ISDN is broadband. Maybe a glossary and FAQ on IrelandOffline would help?

I read the ODTR document by the way, and I'm just in the middle of an email to Etain Doyle expressing my dissatisfaction with the misleading figures and conclusions.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hmmm:
    Ms Doyle said. "If we do not continue to progress we will fall behind."
    </font>

Where in the hell is this women living ??, we are already years behind the US and at least 7 months behind the UK ....

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hmmm:

Communications market continues expansion

</font>

Yes it sounds like another country...eh?

Perhaps a % of companies are satisfied with net access and communications etc, but as how about the businesses that have ploughed cash into an online presence and as I stated elsewhere: what good is it when most of the people wont be able to afford to access these sites.
    They give the figure of 4 hours 20 mins.. is that per day, week, month what? if it's per month and lets take an average family unit of two adults and two children that would indicate a very small amount of time, i'd safely say i've spent that amount of time waiting for pages to load during every month... smile.gif

We should ask why is there only 32% penetration? the answer is fairly obvious! Too expensive, too slow, no competition really, lack of interest on behalf of the Government, Governmental bodies and the teleco's and I suppose we the users who really should have banded together a few years back to drive it on..at least we are trying, now to do something about it.. smile.gif

Just goes to show, that anything can be made out of a report. MS Doyle would do good to actually look at the picture from our perspective, the reality would show that we're rapidly slipping into third world status...sliding backwards to the mid 1990's....
    and this is progress???

[This message has been edited by Fionn (edited 05-06-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Fionn (edited 05-06-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:
    I read the ODTR document by the way, and I'm just in the middle of an email to Etain Doyle expressing my dissatisfaction with the misleading figures and conclusions.
    </font>

fyi doylee@odtr.ie doesn't bounce, and considering that's the standard format may be her 'real' address (if she knows how to use email that is).

Also minister@dpe.ie gets a real reply from the ministers office.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

That report is joke im hoping!!!

ffs its like 1 step forward and 5 back!!!

• Advertisement

Earth calling ODTR...........Earth calling ODTR.....come in please over...........
    it's no good sir, this confirms theres no
    intelligent life in the OTDR.

broardband! elastic band more like

wormhole

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Fionn:

Yes it sounds like another country...eh?

Perhaps a % of companies are satisfied with net access and communications etc, but as how about the businesses that have ploughed cash into an online presence and as I stated elsewhere: what good is it when most of the people wont be able to afford to access these sites.
    </font>
    Yes. I can't read the document on the ODTR site at the momement (msword format), but do they say what kind of companies they surveyed? A lot of companies have very minimal communications requirements (and even lower expectations). For them a fax machine is pretty high tech. For others, perhaps only a minority, the expense of a broadband connection can be devestating. A simple yes/no answer here does not suffice.

For me, it looks like the ODTR (or perhaps just Ms Doyle) is desparately trying to justify it's existence.

[This message has been edited by Skeptic1 (edited 06-06-2001).]

I couldn't believe this report until I read a bit closer and realised that the survey was based on 200 of the top 1000 companies in Ireland, 75% of whom had over 100 employees, in other words the type of company that can afford to invest in its own pipeline

No odds about the SME's, never mind individual users frown.gif

Advertisement