Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New letter from Esat...

Options
  • 11-06-2001 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone else receive a letter from Esat dated 7 June.. but only arrived today. This is the first response I have had since my 'letter of disgust'. The letter patiently explains their predicament and concludes with an appeal for my support as an internet user to hasten the introduction of flat-rate internet access in the Irish market. It was signed by ACT (not printed)..
    No mention made of the 75hr limit..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

No. This letter 's news to me, mind you... I am living outside the "Pale". :/

Nope, no esat letter (i live in Dublin), maybe tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I got this letter today as well. Its 2 pages long and appears to be personally signed by ACT. Scans below:

http://munch0r.port5.com/esat/newletter_page1.jpg
    http://munch0r.port5.com/esat/newletter_page2.jpg

- Munch

Cheers for posting that Stephen. smile.gif

"We introduced a three-hour cut-off point to limit preassure from always-on usage"

... The above NEVER happened. I remember reading an published article where Esat actually accused users of ingenuiously developing a means of by-passing this. By-passing what? It never worked. To my knowledge Esat still haven't owned up to this, and not publically. :/

Second last paragraphy... Can someone explain how it was reported recently that the UK actually have flat rate coverage to 60% of the UK's user base?

Another means of "prevention" might have been increasing the fee for +75/100hrs per month. :/

also got that letter today..

and today they reconnected me after "accidentally" disconnecting me..

ahh the irony

• Advertisement

Very interesting letter. Thanks for posting it. Have not received one myself, although I srote ACT a long one upon receipt of his 1st.. ?? Looking at this letter in detail, one has to wonder what it actually confers ? Are they justifying cutting us off ? Trying to appear sorry for having to do it ? Blaming others, but going ahead anyway ? The big issue here, is that NEVER once do they appear to have said, "Its costing us too much, we are upping the monthly price to £25 or £30", which most contributors appear to be agreeable to pay ?? Do Esat know this ?
    Personally, if I get one of these 2nd letters I will certainly let them know..!!

Thanks for posting the info about the letter!
    I would have thought e-sat would have contacted Martin by now as regards another meeting ? To be honest , i think esat don`t really care either way what we few people think. Martin and co are doing great work .In view of this most recent letter and the disconnection of so many of us already , it would appear esat say 1 thing and do another .Yes they will honour the 75hr limits , huh !!! i THOUGHT there was NO limit. I think Elana was ringing Esat today ,any news ??????????

All i se is lies lies and more lies from esat !

Such a great pity ...we are heading back to the 90`s again , so much for the noughty`s
    ;-)

Martin

If this letter was being submitted in a leaving cert exam, the examiner would simply write @ the bottom... no beginning, middle or conclusion.

What is ACT's point?? Its a start, in that they are acknowledging some liability for the mess, but it appears they are appealing for the users to revolt against Eircom on behalf of ESAT. Its rather a baffling letter. i think it probably says more about the people Esat are employing... 2 totally incomprehensible letters from the same person speaks volumes evidently!

80p.

80project.com

[This message has been edited by 80project.com (edited 11-06-2001).]

quote from "the letter" ...

"Any support that you as an internet user can give to the introduction of flat-rate internet access in the Irish market would also be very helpful"

Is this an open endorsement of Ireland Offline? Interesting choice of words.

Endorsement of Ireland Offline? I don't get that impression.

On the one hand...I do get the impression that Esat are washing their hands of unmetered access for the time being, in the hope that consumer help.

On the other... they're still gona cut us off. :/ (lol)

Mind you... Esat were the most progress of the internet providers. I wonder how many customers they pinched off Eircom due to SNL? smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Straker (edited 12-06-2001).]

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Longfield:

Is this an open endorsement of Ireland Offline? Interesting choice of words.
    </font>

At our meeting with Esat, they confirmed that Esat share the same objectives as us, many of us recognised this from the start.

Esat's decision to cut people off was a purely economic decision.

That, by the way, does not excuse the way they went about it frown.gif

Martin Harran

Advertisement