Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom to roll out DSL in Sept

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

YAHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

but, its a bit dear frown.gif

anyway, I really do hope that this is finally what we have been waiting for ...

www.EFtraining.com

http://www.thealexandriaclan.barrysworld.net

This seems like excellent news and I am hoping it is indeed true. We may have light at the ed of the tunnel after all wink.gif But without sounding like a pessemist, I think we should all be careful. I have seen promises more than enough times at this stage of companies wanting to rollout DSL to the public. Remeber cablelink? They promised us Cable in 1999 and we never got it. Genesis Europe promised us DSL in november 2000 and we never got it, and there has been no word from them since, and Telecom Eireann even promised it, but nothing happened. This is excellent news, but before you start selling your old modems, be careful, as we just may need them a while longer yet smile.gif

Thanks for reading.
    Matt Finucane

I am cautiously optimistic. It is bad news for the regions, however. The fact that they mention this bad news for the regions means that Eircom are likely to be more serious this time. When (and if) the roll-out begins in Dublin, there will be intense political pressure from TDs to increase funding for regional broadband.

I think people should phone Eircom and congratulate them for not being complete morons for the first time wink.gif

I would just like to add that I hope the IrelandOffline campaing continues to push for LLU and flat-rate interconnect pricing.

Without this, as Son of Blam suggested, Eircom may introduce a crippled ADSL with a 1 gig limit.

I support whatever direction the committee takes, of course. smile.gif

Well it 'seems' to be good news, but lets be cautious. Firstly they may well offer a 'crippled' service, if we know Eircom they no doubt will; secondly will they be limiting the number of new connections per month is done in some cases in the UK? Third; competion? Why €51 - €76? Is this so Esat et all cannot offer a price before the final role out and pricing by Eircom? We should be demanding SPECIFICS.
    There are lots of ifs and buts to all this - but at least the pressure seems to be starting to work.

Keep up the fight!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Dahamsta reply I dare you !

"With the technology available at most Dublin servers and possibly select areas in other cities. However, the Border, Midland and Western regions will not be served, as Eircom withdrew from a state-funded initiative to deliver DSL there in April."

Not really great news unless you live in Dublin. Grats *******s =p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Always willing to step up to a dare...

Although I'd be delighted to see DSL available in September, I won't be holding my breath. Chorus told us we'd have Wireless access three months ago, but I'm still waiting. Eircom are notorious for bluff and blunder - read the investor announcments section of their website: "we're launching ADSL"; "we're not launching ADSL".

It could be true, it could be a smokescreen to take gullible TJ's minds off the takeover, but either way the IrelandOffline campaign has to continue. From tomorrow, I will no longer have a flat rate option to access the Internet. My already scandalous phone bills are going to skyrocket.

A pretty vague announcment about a DSL service that may or may not be launched in September changes absolutely nothing - LLU remains the key issue. Unbundle the local loop Eircom. Do it now, do it fast.

adam

[This message has been edited by dahamsta (edited 07-06-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Calimero:
    Well it 'seems' to be good news, but lets be cautious. Firstly they may well offer a 'crippled' service, if we know Eircom they no doubt will</font>

Yes how does

"£60 for 1gb a month, £1 a mb after that" sound wink.gif

LOL. I wouldn't have the patience to download a gig a month.

Does anyone have a map of the areas to be covered by this proposed service yet?

• Advertisement

Dahamsta what city are you in? I'm in Limerick and Chorus's wireless ASDL is available to me if i want it. The only thing that is holding me back is that it is Expensive to setup (bones of 200 quid for the equipment and software) and is then £40 a month with a 3GB limit 2p per MB after that.

Hmmmm, trust me when you have a high speed connection you figure out ways to download by the gb, i have access to a higespeed ISDN at work and have had days of downloading over 600mbs of crap in less than 8 hours (wasting time downloading massive demos and movie trailers and crap like that to put on CD) so a month can be a long time when you have that much power.

Just my 2 cents folks

Ours is not to reason why!!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Straker:
    LOL. I wouldn't have the patience to download a gig a month.</font>
    Remember that's only a rumor ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

LOL. I wouldn't have the patience to download a gig a month.

Does anyone have a map of the areas to be covered by this proposed service yet?
    </font>

I've only been online 50 minutes in this current session and have "downloaded" over 7Mb according to the connection monitor. At that rate... let's say 10Mb an hour (I'm not doing much right now- the connection would normally be busier), you're talking 100 hours before you hit that 1Gb limit.

Bard
    "Have a gorilla!" ... "No thanks, I'll have one of my monkeys, they're milder."

Skeptic1, true, and noted. wink.gif

Folks, remember... Eircom are looking for the "rights" to broadcast TV as part of their proposed ADSL rollout programme. Something about "profit".

... reading between the lines... "No TV rights... no ADSL!!"

Bard,
    I've been on for just over an hour now. Total D/L: 4.5MB. (Probably bored/tired or both smile.gif ). I get your point tho'. A 3 gig limit might be a bit more palatable(?).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Dahamsta what city are you in?

Cork boy.

I'm in Limerick and Chorus's wireless ASDL is available to me if i want it.

I had the salesman in me house. It was supposed to be available here in March, but they put it off "because of a fire". I'm told there actually was a fire, but I'm not sure that was the reason - I'd wonder if the uptake was all they expected?

The only thing that is holding me back is that it is Expensive to setup (bones of 200 quid for the equipment and software) and is then £40 a month with a 3GB limit 2p per MB after that.

I was actually going for the business one, which is double the price with a 6GB limit, but I only found out *afterwards* that there was a consumer offering. The monthly price didn't bother me that much though, I run a webdev business almost entirely on the Internet (my business partner is in Washington smile.gif and that means I need to be connected as much as possible, so even the more expensive one would have saved me a fortune.

What did bug me though, was the contract that tied me in for a year. I was thinking that if DSL rolled out before the year was up it would leave me tied to a service that could only get worse as time went on - the more people on the WAN, the slower the connections get. But even that didn't worry me all that much, because always-on is what I need, not high connection speeds or low pings.

The most annoying thing has to be the double connection fee for businesses though. Same equipment, same computers, same technicians, double the price. And it wasn't even down to setting it up for a network, because that would cost even *more*. I've also heard some horror stories about connection rates. I'm half glad it's not available, but if it became available shortly I'd have to seriously consider it. Be just my luck another flat-rate service'll be launched the next day. smile.gif

Hmmmm, trust me when you have a high speed connection you figure out ways to download by the gb, i have access to a higespeed ISDN at work and have had days of downloading over 600mbs of crap in less than 8 hours (wasting time downloading massive demos and movie trailers and crap like that to put on CD) so a month can be a long time when you have that much power.

Well, when it's there you'll use it, but there's nothing like a couple of jaw-dopping bills to make you behave! Speaking of driving it though, I'm just finished reinstalling Win2K from scratch, which included downloading 6 megs of updates, then 20 megs of Service Pack 2 and another 7 megs of IE5.5. I don't use both channels on my AVM Fritz very often, but by the gods it's handy at times. I was getting about a half a meg a minute, it was bootiful. smile.gif

adam

Bard,
    I've been on for just over an hour now. Total D/L: 4.5MB. (Probably bored/tired or both smile.gif ). I get your point tho'. A 3 gig limit might be a bit more palatable(?).
    </font>

What? So we get an always on high speed connection, and you'd live with 56k limits? Eircom must be jumping with joy.

A 56k modem can manage around 20megs an hour. 'always on' theoretically that would be about 15 gigs a month. For a modem.

Sickening isnt it, i was just looking through the utv internet site and found a section on flat rate access, its identical to the surfnolimits idea but is only £9.99, of course thats english prices, pity they cant set it up here it would be a sweet kick in the ass for esatfusion if they did.
    one other thing, i had a look at the terms and conditions (once bitten twice shy!!) and found the exact same thing that esat used to kick us off, the line:
    "refrain from acts that waste resources or prevent other users from receiving the full benefit of our services"
    Now can i ask a stupid question, was this the kind of line that was in SNL's acceptable use policy? if so, isnt this impossible to do, we can only access at speeds set by them, so are we not then governed by there resource rules, i dont know, its all terrible confusing... right i'm rambling now, time to go... smile.gif

Ours is not to reason why!!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kendragon:
    I'm in Limerick and Chorus's wireless ASDL is available to me if i want it.</font>

You don't realise just how lucky you are ...

www.EFtraining.com

http://www.thealexandriaclan.barrysworld.net

From what I understand from Chorus there home user service is only 128kb download speed for 40 quid a month 50 for 256kb and business is more for a 512kb. So when it does finally arrive in Cork where i live (everyone time i ring them its a couple of months away frown.gif ) I goin to have to pay 40 quid for a 128kb with a 3g limit.

• Advertisement

Unhappy, Chorus' home user service is 128kbps upstream (upload), NOT downstream (download).

Downstream is actually 512kbps.

In short: download is 512kbps, upload is 128kbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

quote:

I had the salesman in me house. It was supposed to be available here in March, but they put it off "because of a fire". I'm told there actually was a fire, but I'm not sure that was the reason - I'd wonder if the uptake was all they expected?

The fire was at the customer service place (can't remember when but I do remember the fire) - the cable TV was knocked out in Limerick (and probably other places) for a day or two. Pathetic excuse though.

Ah, the old days. 3 gigs is about what i've been downloading a month on NoLimits. Give me broadband though and 3 gigs probably wouldn't do me (40 quid is too expensive though, plus the 200 quid for setup and a year-long minimum contract)

lol, give me broadband and I'd be pulling down 3 Gigs every 2 days ... never mind a month :/ (serioulsy=])

http://clans.quake.ie/osiris
    Fragnet

Advertisement