Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A possible alternative

Options
  • 15-06-2001 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

i was on UTV internet the other day having a look at their glidetime flatrate access offer. I know at the moment that this service is not available in the south yet, but if and when it does become availabe ( pending Eircom get up off their arses and Unbundle the local loop) This may be even better for us than expected. Now i came up with an idea as i saw their offer and read over the terms of service. They allow one 64k isdn connection ( single channel access ), so I was thinking what if we could order ISDN from eircom, and make 2 accounts ( for dual isdn access ) to UTV internet Glidetime. That way we could go online with unmetered, flat rate internet access. Line rental for isdn is about IR£35 a month, with glidetime costing ( in my estimation ) £20 a month. Thats £55 a month ( bit steep i know ) for unmetered flatrate net access. We wouldnt be plagued by other dsl and cable based isps and their capping policies.

I think it may work.

Matfin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yes, once some flat interconnect rate is agreed upon, then there should it should be no problem for UTVInternet to provide this. Afterall you will be paying them double the money for the dual connection. They won't be out of pocket. Also, ISDN is available now in most parts of the country. ADSL will take some time to be rolled out.

Hey folks, I thought this campaign was about an affordable flat-rate internet service but now people are coming up with figures like £55-£60 as reasonable. I know they're talking about ADSL and ISDN but I was reasonaly happy with my twenty quid monthly off-peak dial up connection and I am aggrieved at this being under threat to which I thought most in this forum were of the same mind.

The current service suits my pocket and I have no ambitions to make a great leap up to £40 plus per month though I would be prepared to stump up an extra tenner and that's for off-peak no limits and I mean NO LIMITS.

The UK offers off-peak for £10 - £15 GBP and unmetered for less than £20 GBP. I thought that was the kind of thing this forum was about.

Regards, Bannerman.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bannerman:
    The UK offers off-peak for £10 - £15 GBP and unmetered for less than £20 GBP. I thought that was the kind of thing this forum was about.</font>
    Personally, I would like the option of the £10-15 GBP off-peak 56K. That would be a massive improvement to what we have now. I would hope that it's a broad based campaign.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bannerman:
    I would be prepared to stump up an extra tenner and that's for off-peak no limits and I mean NO LIMITS.
    </font>

I agree totally. That was the aim of the "Eircom DSL £40 Yes Please" Thread I started on Weds. The ensuing replies though focused on the technical specs of the offer. I hoped to find out what the price threshold of users-ie. c.£30 or £40 or above. Maybe we can bounce some ideas on this issue now. Rememeber there is likely to be a second meeting w/ ESAT and maybe if the Committee knows what is the upper price limit, a price rise for SNL can be discussed if it means a "No-Limit" Service.

Comments welcome.
    80p.

80project.com

Thanks 80project.com Well as stated my limit is £30 for the IOl NoLimits service provided it's as it used to be and not like now where I am trying to curtail whatever I do to limit my online time in the hope that I won't get a set limited usage or at worst thrown off altogether.

yes it would be nice to know the threshold of other users.

No doubt in time we'll have affordable ASDL and ISDN but it's here and now I'm concerned with.

Bannerman

• Advertisement
Advertisement