Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat/@iol.ie email addresses

Options
  • 06-06-2001 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have had word from Esat that if you are a SNL customer and have an @iol.ie email address, it will stay. You can access it from IOL Free.

This is definitive.

E

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

But whats the deal with IOL Free ??

Is it just like getting another ISP, but now pay per minute while online ?

www.EFtraining.com

http://www.thealexandriaclan.barrysworld.net

[This message has been edited by ando (edited 06-06-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ando:
    But whats the deal with IOL Free ??

Is it just like getting another ISP, but now pay per minute while online ?

</font>

Yes, it's not a great solution but a lot of people (including myself) were worried about losing email address completely and chaos that could cause, particularly with business contacts.

I terminated my contract with IOL nolimits some time ago but still access it from Indigo and various other accounts. You can't send from these other accounts however.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Skeptic1:
    I terminated my contract with IOL nolimits some time ago but still access it from Indigo and various other accounts. You can't send from these other accounts however.</font>

I have one of the "*@esatclear.ie" addresses, and I can get it through the web at http://webmail.esatclear.ie/cgi-bin/cwmail.cgi

You can read and reply from here.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Skeptic1:
    I terminated my contract with IOL nolimits some time ago but still access it from Indigo and various other accounts. You can't send from these other accounts however.</font>

Yes you can.

You just need to use the SMTP server of whatever ISP you are now on. i.e.: you can send from an IOL address through Indigo's SMTP server, - it's the POP3 server that requires you to authenticate.

Alternatively you could just use http://webmail.iol.ie/ and send and receive through that.

Bard
    "Have a gorilla!" ... "No thanks, I'll have one of my monkeys, they're milder."

• Advertisement

I had an IOL NoLimits account that seems to have been terminated effective the 8th because my "...usage level falls into this 'over-usage- category." I tried to send a note to myself via AOL today and it got refused by iol.ie, but I just checked iol using AOL (this gets confusing) and there was an email there for me from a listserver. Hard to understand.

Some SMTP servers allow you to send mail through them even though are dialled-up under a different ISP. I believe Eircom allows you to validate your self by first retrieving mail from the POP server. You then have a certain length of time to send your mail. "SMTP after POP" I think this is called.

I don't think Esat support this, however. Hopefully, someone will correct me on this.

That seemed to work! I signed on via AOL to the Internet, then using my Pegasus mail program, checked IOL for any new mail. I had a "test" message to my AOL address waiting in the wings, and clicked to send that right after IOL checked for new mail, and IOL accepted that mail for sending and it reached my AOL mailbox. Brilliant analysis! Thanks Skeptic1!

I was one of the 10% (supposedly) to have my contract with S N L terminated. But I am still using it? have they forgooten me! Or are they just waiting to catch me?...and can they charge me for what I am using now (above the usual £20 a month?

Ess

What is the limit for No Limits? Last month I used it for 85hrs.

WILL D

• Advertisement

irishblimp, I believe itto be 75hrs per month. But it sounds catchy "limit for no limits".

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by irishblimp:
    What is the limit for No Limits? Last month I used it for 85hrs.

</font>

There is no limit - see my separate posting on 'Explanation of the 75 hour issue'

Advertisement