Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

short irish times article

Options
  • 10-06-2001 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Whilst I find that The Irish Times usually writes very pro-Eircon articles, a few weeks they published the following short article:

<<High-tech hub idea recedes
    (The Irish Times)

TELECOMS/Denis Kelleher: The Republic's continuing failure to provide low-cost access to telecommunications mocks our pretensions to become an "ecommerce hub" or what the Taoiseach Mr Ahern has referred to as a "high value-added, knowledge society".

A variety of indicators suggest that the Republic may be in the rear of Europe's information society, with limited access to even basic Internet and telephone services.

The State's plans for more advanced services, such as broadband Internet access and third-generation mobile phones, are yet to become a reality. The Republic is deregulating its telecoms market, as it is bound to do under EU law, but progress is slow.>>

Comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think this situation will become increasingly embarrasing for the Government and agencies like ForFas and the IDA.

Currently, the press are more interested in the bidding war and share prices than what Eircom acually does. This will change when the sale goes through. Then, I suspect, attention will be drawn to Eircom's poor infrastructure, particularly in the regions.

Skeptic1, I hope you're right.

If the UK can have unmetered Internet access for GB£14.95 per month, why can't we?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Urban Weigl:
    If the UK can have unmetered Internet access for GB£14.95 per month, why can't we?</font>

Precisely the question we hope to be posing to ODTR and Eircom in the very near future smile.gif

Martin

Another question you might consider asking them: "If ADSL is available for DM 50 (~IR£20) in Germany, why isn't it available in Ireland?"

FYI: ADSL, or T-DSL as they call it, is being rolled out very quickly in Germany. 70% of the population there will be able to get it by autumn, and most people can get it right now. The speed is 768kbps download, 128kbps upload, with no transfer limits!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Urban Weigl:
    Another question you might consider asking them: </font>

You might have guessed that this was our second question smile.gif

This one is harder to answer than the first one, though. Unmetered access is simply a question of Eircom agreeing to a flat rate - there is no capital investment required and it could be implemented within weeks, if not days, of Eircom agreeing to a rate.

Broadband does involve significant capital investment and commercial decisions about likely demand. I'm not making any excuses for Ireland being so far behind on this, just pointing out the issues that have been and will be raised.

Martin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Why oh why did my parents drag me to ireland lol if I was still in Germany I could be enjoying my nice uberleet conn now lol and not paying through me nose for yonder 56k amazement!

Tis annoying that just up the road in the north they can enjoy numerous differtent flatrate packages while we have al but 0 to choose from great isnt frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Ronan|Raven (edited 17-06-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, flat rate single channel ISDN (24/7) for about stg£19 per month... *sob*

- Munch

You know what's sad? If the Republic were still part of the UK, we'd have flat rate Internet now.

Sinne Fianna Fáil,atá faoi gheall ag Éireann.

And dont't forget it !!

80project.com

This is a great analysis by "Samantha" from the ie.comp newsgroup. Perhaps Martin you can bring it up w/ ACT....

<<Quote>>
    Surf No Limits is now 27 Irish Pence per Hour for the first Off Peak 75
    hours used in the first 30 days cannot be carried over also NO more off
    peak hours allowed at 60 pence per minute

You will have to switch to another
    ISP for this. HOWEVER you may indulge yourself in Peak Rate Access at
    £IR1-80 an Hour for as much as you want these prices include Vat@20%

24 hours 7 Days a Week connection in Dublin costs
    1 Week Peak Hours 50 hours X £1-80=£IR90-00
    118 hours X £0.60=£IR70-80
    Total Peak & Off Peak for 1 week =£IR160-80

1 Month i.e 4 Weeks 4 x 7 Days =IR643-20
    Minus Circle of Friends Discount
    if applicable 10% Minus 64-32
    Total£IR578-88 for 28
    Days Access smile.gif) 1 Year is £6946-56 and that is NOT even a full year!

Bt Surf Free Newry Co. Down £14-99Sterling =£IR19-98 @ 25% exchange Sterling
    to Punts a month

Difference per Week is IR578-88 Minus £IR19-98=£IR558-90 a month smile.gif or
    £IR 6706-80 per year Difference

Yes I know there are different way of approaching this but comparing like
    with like on the same Island of Ireland
    This is Astronomical they will not give in EirCON that is without a big
    fight!

Samantha

Same Company( BT=Esat)just different Competitive Monopolistic Market Banana
    Irish Republic

<<endquote>>

80p.

80project.com

• Advertisement

You can even get free off-peak local calls in Northern Ireland. BT have some sort of thing called "Talk Together", which costs an additional GB£3 or so on your normal line rental (you pay GB£15 instead of the usual £12, or whatever it is in the UK).

Advertisement