Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom DSL....£40...... Yes Please

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I heard it was £80 per month with no dl limit, 256k/64k speed

I think thats for the wireless setup White, though I honestly can't say for sure as i ahven't had any correspondence from Chorus lately.
    I wonder what the ping and latency would be like on the wireless.......

If we were to have broadband access in line with the rest of eh developed world we'd have 1.5MBiot lines to our doors, install teh adapters ourselves and pay in the region of £14-19 a month for it, like Korea. Them lads caught on quick that cheap bandwidth for the employees=more GDP per capita for a mdest outlay of infrastructurethat can be rapidly and increasingly added to, also i think they share thir networks with other countries, therby reducing the burden.

One think you ppl have not touched on is the number of peole that can actaully get ADSL from their current locations, relative to the exchanges.....or people like me witha DACS box on my pole. This damn thing will not let e get ADSl and to get rid of it I'll either have to install ISDN for a month at least (£100 installation and again for removal) or buy an engineer a few pints (crates). All for something Eircom put on MY line (I reckon i own it by now after all teh fixed charges) without even notifying me. These DACS boxes seem very common in rural areas, which is worying as I was only 1 mile from my local exchange and it most certainly wouldn't have killed Eircom to lay another bit of cable down to my neighours house instead of pinching it off me.
    DIRTY THIEVING B A S T E R D S !

go here fora bit more on the DACS stuff:
    http://www.boards.ie/bulletin/Forum28/HTML/000006.html

John

No-one ever suspects the Duck
    He who must die, must die in the dark even though he sells candles
    [IMG][/img]http://www.plauder-smilies.de/knuddel.gif

[This message has been edited by [FCA]SyxPak (edited 19-06-2001).]

I vvas talking about eircum.

smile.gif

khunt0rz

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by [FCA]SyxPak:
    burden.
    .....or people like me witha DACS box on my pole. This damn thing will not let e get ADSl and to get rid of it I'll either have to install ISDN for a month at least (£100 installation and again for removal) or buy an engineer a few pints (crates). [.....] These DACS boxes seem very common in rural areas, which is worying as I was only 1 mile from my local exchange and it most certainly wouldn't have killed Eircom to lay another bit of cable down to my neighours house instead of pinching it off me.
    DIRTY THIEVING B A S T E R D S !

</font>

Girlfriends net connection at home is going half the speed it used be. Reinstalled drivers, formatted drive, tried modem with 98 and ME, tried laptop on the line - and yes, you've guessed it, those thieving hooooors had popped a DACS box on the line.

(btw what does DACS stand for?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Oh, yeah, forgot to answer the original question.

Answer: the same amount they charge for DSL in the UK, with a cost falling to two-thirds of the original price after two to three years and to half after four years with no limit whatever on uploads or downloads. No limit on running a home network of maybe a max 3-4 PCs (or if its officially disallowed, they ignore it - these things can be hidden anyway), uploads at least 512kps, downloads at least 128 and the line capacity doubled every three years. Nothing less. If they have to have limits make them high (I think 12 gigs a month might be fair for the first 12 months - it's only 144 gigs a year, you could do almost that on an "offpeak&onpeak unmetered connection" in any case)

i get a bill of around £12/month!
    Get a life internet junkies.

(i amn't just moany because of my beautiful 100mhz processor)

Just got an email back from David Wilkins regarding xDSL services. I had asked him whether there were plans for RADSL and IDSL (it's a newer version of ISDN), as well as whether there were plans to upgrade the Ballyhaunis exchange, and he just replied with "ADSL will be available in the following Dublin exchanges..."

As you may guess, that really didn't answer my questions at all. In fact, it didn't answer a single question I had.

Advertisement