Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IrelandOffline to Meet ODTR - any suggestions?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

I'd just like to add my voice to the call to push the issue of unmetered access.

I've been thinking about it for a while recently and I'd probably go for unmetered ISDN over ADSL in a flash, if the price difference was significant. It would suit most gamers and surfers down to the ground.

The price of ISDN line rental is too high - it shouldn't be double the cost of an analogue line. Most people don't use it as a second line. Even if they do, part of your line rental is to cover overheads which are not doubled because you have a second line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">you should ask what the confusion in eircom is about, why one department make press releases saying adsl will be out in september but while talking to a person in their PR department, they said they has no plains to introduce it in the near future.</font>

That's not really the Regulator's problem Gladiator, it's just plain ignorance or disinformation inside Eircom. It's unlikely the Regulator would be able to do anything about it.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Just on the point of unlimited 56k access. It is very important also from a business point of view. By enabling always on connections, even small bandwidth ones, it opens the way for new technologies. Predominantly for Application Service Providers. This is the way the internet is shaping with microsoft's .NET, and various companies in the US. Ordinary consumers just can't use these servies without an always on connection.

Gav

[This message has been edited by Verb (edited 27-06-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

but thats half the problem, you should hear some of the story about esat, the different departments hate each other, they are allways trying to get one one on each other, and ever since oceanfree joined esat its gotthen worse with both claiming they took over the other

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">but thats half the problem, you should hear some of the story about esat, the different departments hate each other, they are allways trying to get one one on each other, and ever since oceanfree joined esat its gotthen worse with both claiming they took over the other</font>

Oh, I agree with you, the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing half the time, and the infighting is pathetic. But that's still not a regulatory problem IMHO. That's just incompetence and bad organisation within the companies, which is up to the management to correct. You know the management - the ones who can't find their own bottoms?

adam

adam

• Advertisement

o_donnel_abu, I think Stephen pretty much answered your question about how online cancer research works. Just would like to add that they aren't really looking for a "magic cure for cancer", but rather researching now ways of treating it. You basically donate your computers spare processor time for a good cause. Of course this only works if you leave your computer online for a few hours a day.

Are you sure? Doesn't it work like SETI@HOME, in that you only need to be connected to collect datasets and send back results?

adam

Maybe you should prompt Etain to adopt the attitude she has taken w/ The mobile Phone Operators re: Competition & Prices and apply them to the Internet predicament we face. Look what liberalisation has done there. Every Yobo that breaths has a mobile phone nowadays & look @ the multiplier effect it has had on retail related sales and the improvements it has made in the conduct of business.

I know its yet another suggestion- I think you could probably wallpaper a house with the “long” list suggestions we can muster at this point I time, but still noteworthy!

80p.

80project.com

Here's another one (still on the LLU track).

xDSL services are usually limited in distance (typically up to about 2.5Km). This means that many consumers in rural areas will not be able to receive the service. Will the ODTR mandate Eircom to allow OLOs to install DSL repeaters so that the range can be extended to these consumers?

It seems that yer all forgetting the educational side to the net, I just finished the LC there and for the past few years at school everything is online, study sites, homework help, the CAO applications, even your results and then further again to an even greater extent college relies on you haveing access to the net really especially if your in as rural an area as i am!...should this not also be brought up? i mean the department of education sent me out on a few occasions this year a flier with "don't be a dinosaur go online" they should be fighting this fight too i believe?

Farls

• Advertisement
Advertisement