Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naughty logo?

Options
  • 17-06-2001 8:34pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

was mucking about with an idea I had for a Political protest...

Too subtle?

eirconLogo.gif

DeVore.

ps: I know someone had the name Eircon before and got threatened etc, but that logo is original by me and I'm happy to claim its fair use for political reasons and protect my right to make fun of them...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Excellent but if I were you,I would cover my back if you use it anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

LOL, I like it biggrin.gif

LOL !!! nice one biggrin.gif !!! Imagine this on the side of the buses in town biggrin.gif !!!!!!

www.EFtraining.com

http://www.thealexandriaclan.barrysworld.net

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

The owner of www.eircon.org has pointed the domain name at the IrelandOffline site.

While we appreciate the increase in the number of hits this will bring us I believe it must be said (and I'm quite sure I have the general agreement from the committee on the matter) that we cannot 'officially' have IrelandOffline backing or condoning the use of the name "Eircon" and so we certainly won't be promoting the site using the eircon.org URL, the "Eircon" name or any registered trademark infringing logos, etc.

Not to say, of course, Dev, that your logo above is infringing upon their trademarked and copywritten logo, just that we certainly do want companies such as Eircom (whoever own them!) to take us seriously and to believe that we take them seriously too (as opposed to them believing we're just taking the p|ss out of them). They'll be easier to deal with in such a case.

I don't speak for the committee, by the way, but I do believe that this view would be their general concensus.

Bard
    Does exactly what it says on the tin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Personally, I don't know whether Bard was politely hinting that he wanted the pointer removed; or whether he was just pointing out that eircon.org doesn't represent IrelandOffline. Either way, I announced on the boards that I was pointing that domain, telcowatch.org, telcowatch-org and irelandoffline.org to irelandoffline.com, and to let me know if there was any problem with that. No-one said there was a problem, so I left 'em. If there /is/ a problem, I have no problem redirecting them away again.

As to the logo, it's not original, it's derived from Eircon's trademark, which is exactly the reason I got a sad little missive from Eircon. It's probably only a matter of time before the well-staffed legal department in Eircon spots it, and fires out another cease-and-desist. Would you believe they sent one to the owner of eircomleague.net? Who was promoting the league they sponsor? I kid you not!

I remain steadfast on irelandoffline.com being wrong, and highly insulted that my most charitable offer was not accepted. smile.gif

adam

PS. Bard already has a frame-killer in place.

• Advertisement

Kudos on the logo, very fitting. Has anyone noticed how similar Eircon's logo is to Time Warner Telecom? Compare at:

http://www.twtelecom.net/

Shocking, isn't it? Looks like they [Eircon] just copied it and changed the colour to orange (TWT has been around for A LOT longer than Eircon).

[This message has been edited by Urban Weigl (edited 18-06-2001).]

The best solution is the following....

I am a law student & I originally got this off the law.com website so its fairly water tight. The last thing the campaign needs is a libel action

Sample from my site:

"General Disclaimer of Content

'While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the content appearing on this website Stauntonline cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions appearing in such content. Furthermore, neither Stauntonline or any third party who may provide content to this website shall be responsible for and makes no representations nor shall they be liable in respect of the content or its accuracy. You, the User are accessing the site and use any of the content, products and services at your own risk. Furthermore, Stauntonline disclaims all responsibility and liability of any description including liability for negligence, incidental or consequential damages and or loss (to include loss of profits, loss of use or loss of data) suffered by any person acting or refraining from acting as a result of or in connection with material on this website to include any reliance placed by such person on such material, or the viewing , use or performance of this website or its contents, whether with the required authority or otherwise. Stauntonline reserves the right to revise, amend, alter or delete the information provided herein at any time, but shall not be responsible for or liable in respect of any such revisions, amendments, alterations or deletions. This website shall be governed, interpreted and construed in accordance with the law for the time being in force in the Republic of Ireland, whose courts shall have exclusive jurisdiction over any disputes or actions arising on this website.'

Webmaster 2k1."

80p. (Pro Bono!!)

80project.com

I doubt Eircon would want to file a lawsuit against IrelandOffline, not unless they want it covered all over the news, which would most likely result in a lot of bad press for them!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeVore:
    was mucking about with an idea I had for a Political protest...
    </font>

Hehehe, it almost reminds me of that famous photograph of Janet Jackson that was on the front of Rolling Stone(?) a few years back!!

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Dahamsta:-
    Like I said already, I appreciate the increase in the number of hits and have no problem with any site (including eircon.org, etc.) redirecting or linking to ours, as long as our identity is preserved. IrelandOffline's URL is http://irelandoffline.com or http://www.irelandoffline.com/ and I don't believe we are condoning or promoting the use of the name "Eircon".

By thw way, contrary to what Adam has said, it was actually only AFTER I saw that the redirect was in place from eircon.org that I implemented the script to break out of frames. There was no such thing in place previously. This was because the eircon.org URL was remaining in the browsers location bar and I did not want this to happen.

80p:-
    fair enough idea there on the disclaimer, but it is a rare thing that a disclaimer has any real effect, particularly in legal matters. - Just because you disclaim responsibility for something doesn't mean you're not responsible for it. I've no intention of putting anything on the web site which in any way creates the slightest bit of potential for legal action over libel, copyright or trademark infringement, defamation, etc. therefore there will be nothing going on there which will merit the use of a disclaimer.

corkie:-
    What are you on about?
    1. Script is in place.
    2. The eircon.org address was already well enough known.
    3. I'm not complaining about him redirecting to us, I'm just saying we can't condone or promote the use of the name "Eircon".

Urban Weigl:- excellent point re the Time Warner Telecom logo!!!
    blacklogo2.gif
    As for the silliness of them taking legal action against IrelandOffline, I agree with you in principle- but still think we should do nothing that would invite such action.

Delphi91:-
    lol... brilliant, - I saw that, myself, but didn't comment... that was a great cover too (... artistically, of course!) smile.gif

Bard
    Fatter, happier, more productive.

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">contrary to what Adam has said...</font>

I never did! I just said you had a frame-kille in place! smile.gif

FYI, I've adjusted the database to redirect those domains now instead of framing them. Logic error in the redirection engine, sorry.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">disclaimer...</font>

Actually, I tend to disagree - as long as the disclaimer is clear, concise and in the useers view, it applies. A perfect example is the disclaimer on every page of new.net's site - new.net being the new mocky-a root - which states that domains may not be resolvable. Their legal department told them that would suffice - and believe me, there's been a lot of discussion on this on domain policy lists. Personally, I don't like the way it's coloured gray and in a small font, but it still applies. If you take them to court, they'll say "I told you so", and they'll be right.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">As for the silliness of them taking legal action against IrelandOffline, I agree with you in principle- but still think we should do nothing that would invite such action.</font>

I don't think silliness comes into it - Eircon have already demonstrated their lack of cop-on by asking Johnny Ward to remove the logo from his eircomleague.net website, which was pretty much strengthening their brand...

Anyway, thanks for clarifying about the domain pointers.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

This was my effort. I sent it to Adam when the Eircon site was still up and running. I don't think that he was too impressed smile.gif I still like it thought.

eircon.jpg

[This message has been edited by Kix (edited 29-06-2001).]

It wasn't that I was unimpressed Kix, it was just over. I took the logo down at the time and replaced it with a big black CENSORED block, if you remember. I got bored of the Eircon site shortly afterwards because I just couldn't see anything happening.

Oddly enough, the site is still linked on Eamon Dummy's SlashED site, so I reckon Ireland Offline gets the odd few visitors from there.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

NP Adam, I wasn't bothered about it smile.gif

It's good to see something positive happening now in the shape of the IrelandOnline group but I'm sure lots of us appreciated your efforts at the time. I know that I did.

K

Advertisement