Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom / Valentia / eIsland latest

Options
  • 30-06-2001 9:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not in the mood, so I'll let you draw your own conclusions from the following articles. Just two quick points though:

o The first article should be taken with a shovel of salt, because the Independant and Unison are owned by the Independant Group, which is chaired by Tony O'Really, and consequently are - allegedly - notorious at printing O'Reilly propoganda, presumably to either a) kiss O'Really butt; and/or b) because they're told.

o I think the ireland.com article has a very coherent point in the ESOT acting in the best interest of... well, themselves. Getting value is all well and good, but not when it affects other shareholders, and of course the consumers and business people who will inevitably suffer at the hands of O'Really's... uh, shall we say "mannerisms"?

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=463390&issue_id=4764

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/front/2001/0630/fro1.htm

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/finance/2001/0630/fin8.htm

adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yep a very large pinch of salt is needed; but If a court ensues I wonder how long it will last? Will it be like all the tribunals and last for months/years, and if it did, would have any effect on the unbundling. I know it might be far fetched but strange things happen in this country of ours.

Also while I am online, I have to say that I'm very annoyed with the outage on the SNL/Free server. I'm still suffering severe slow thoughput speeds(6bps up to 5000)and have to constantly refresh pages while surfing. To be honest I'm beginning to get paranoid, thinking that ESAT are doing it on purpose just to annoy everybody that still has SNL.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">If a court ensues I wonder how long it will last?</font>

That depends on how much they're willing to spend.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Will it be like all the tribunals and last for months/years,</font>

Ditto above.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">and if it did, would have any effect on the unbundling.</font>

Yes. Eircom will not unbundle the local loop before the takeover is complete, and the ODTR will not try to regulate them when the takeover process is in progress. Too much hassle - they'd need to start all over again with the new management.

adam

[This message has been edited by dahamsta (edited 30-06-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

When dialled in through IOL NoLimits, I simply can't use any voice conferencing software, because the connection is too poor. This wasn't always the case.

Connecting with IOL Free or Eircom Net, teleconferencing software works fine. Maybe you're right and they're trying to get rid of their subscribers this way?

I think the Ireland Offline time might want to bring this issue up with the ODTR.

Advertisement