Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i-scream, you-scream, we all scream for i-stream

Options
  • 04-07-2001 5:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Jeez man, that Eircom ad is just crying out for a parody...

"Making the Internet deliver it's promises"

Making Eircon deliver the truth?
    Making Eircon deliver a product when it should have been delivered?
    Making Eircon deliver to their shareholders?

"work smarter"

Work smarter than an Eircon executive?

"don't be limited by your technology"

Don't be limited by Eircom's technology.
    Don't be limited by Eircom's incompetence.
    Don't be limited by Eircom's greed.
    Don't be limited by the ODTR's impotence.

"eircom brings ireland broadband access"

Eircon brings nine exchanges in Dublin broadband access.
    ...eventually.
    ...because they have to.

"always-on fast immediate access to the world"

* Limited availability. Limited technology. Limited to Eircon.

adam

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Actually, while we're on the subject, here's a question Martin or Elena might want to put to an Eircom executive:

Eircom have run trials of DSL and DSL variants on and off for three to four years now, to consumers, businesses and governmental organisations (some still active in Ennis). Why do Eircom feel the need for more trials? Please feel free to quote detailed technical reasons for this.

"i-stream" is horse-putty. It's a stalling tactic. Don't be taken in by it.

Unbundle the local loop.

adam

PS. Yes, it's partly sour grapes because I can't get it. I'd be saying the same thing if I had it though.

[This message has been edited by dahamsta (edited 04-07-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think the fact that there are trials in Dublin is largely down to the efforts of the IrelandOffline campaign. There has not been a credible organisation prior to IrelandOffline. Other countries have had such organisations for years and have reaped the rewards.

It is vital that the pressure continue particularly for LLU and flat-rate wholesale pricing for 56K ISPs. There may be Government money for regional broadband projects, but without an open market, this money will just be swallowed up by a few monopolistic companies. We have already seen Eircom holding out on a regional DSL project. If public money is available, LLU will allow multiple companies to bid for projects of this type.

There will certainly be a lot of pressure from local TDs once the ADSL product is commercially available in Dublin but, without LLU, this pressure may simply result in more money going into Eircom's pocket.

I would suggest that the IrelandOffline committee suggest to the Mary O Rourke, that the department underwrite the LLU charge for a period (a number of years) so that companies are protected in the unlikely event that Eircom wins it's court case (have they made representations yet to the court on this?).

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think the fact that there are trials in Dublin is largely down to the efforts of the IrelandOffline campaign. There has not been a credible organisation prior to IrelandOffline. Other countries have had such organisations for years and have reaped the rewards.

It is vital that the pressure continue particularly for LLU and flat-rate wholesale pricing for 56K ISPs. There may be Government money for regional broadband projects, but without an open market, this money will just be swallowed up by a few monopolistic companies. We have already seen Eircom holding out on a regional DSL project. If public money is available, LLU will allow multiple companies to bid for projects of this type.

There will certainly be a lot of pressure from local TDs once the ADSL product is commercially available in Dublin but, without LLU, this pressure may simply result in more money going into Eircom's pocket.

I would suggest that the IrelandOffline committee suggest to the Mary O Rourke, that the department underwrite the LLU charge for a period (a number of years) so that companies are protected in the unlikely event that Eircom wins it's court case (have Eircom approached the courts yet?).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The people involved in Ireland Offline are doing sterling work - and I applaud them for that - but I think the suggestion that Eircon's DSL trials are largely down to the efforts of Ireland Offline is stretching reality to straining point. I mean, Eircom haven't even deemed them worthy of a meeting yet!

No offense Martin, Elena, et al.

adam

Advertisement