Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom I-Stream !!??!!!

Options
  • 03-07-2001 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have just returned from fixing a PC in Churchtown where the occupants handed my a mail shot from Eircom announcing Eircom I-Stream.

It was a fancy mail shot in the form of several coloured square shaped pieces of card each one with a statement along the lines of, did "Did Alexander Bell forsee the future when he invented the telephone...." and it also containing a cd. The cd demo was an explanatation of ADSL and the benefits for residential and business users. It offers DSL free until the end of September with no installation or equipment charge!!!

It does say that that the exchange in their local area (Churchtown) is adsl ready but that you must have your phone number checked to see if its suitable (can any one explain this). The presentation says nothing about costs, or limits but does mention all day access.

The demos are simple enough with the residentaial user demo showing an outlook express email download progress bar dowloading at 56k, isdn then adsl speeds. Obviously the ADSL one rips down the example 6 emails. It clearly states on the demo that it is 14 times faster with 512 download speeds.

The number on the pack is 1800 503 303 9am to 9pm.

Can we have a show of hands for people who have recieved this?

At last movement.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi, Dangger
    I was tempted into clicking the new button on the Eircom homepage earlier...
    All I got was a very UN-informative page telling me that Eircom was conducting trials of ADSL in my area.
    No info on how to register for a trial, projected roll-out times, pricing structure or, in fact, anything that a prospective customer would want to know!
    Great service!?!
    Paul

--==Absit invidia==--

where do they come up with these names? I-Stream??? I suppose it took an advertising and media graduate from trinity months to come up with that.. couldnt they just call it ADSL and be done with it? Baahh.. them and their funny names for normal stuff

I suppose next the POTS will be called "Voice-Active" or something along those lines...

sorry for the rant, just needed to blow off steam b4 my interview tomorrow *lol*

(Nice to know they've started on the trials tho. gives some hope for an autumn launch)

[This message has been edited by rymus (edited 04-07-2001).]

The pitch did not actually mention trials funnily enough. It looked like the real thing. I know that trials (yes even more trials) are officially started July 2nd, but the package said nothing of a trial, it seemed to be the real thing!!!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dangger:
    It does say that that the exchange in their local area (Churchtown) is adsl ready but that you must have your phone number checked to see if its suitable (can any one explain this). The presentation says nothing about costs, or limits but does mention all day access.</font>
    ADSL depends on several things:
    • You must have your own line running directly to the exchange. No common carrier system (DAX boxes). It must be a single line running directly to the exchange.
    • The line must be of reasonable quality.
    • You must be within a certain distance to the exchange 2-3Km. There are systems that extend this range though.

In the UK and Northern Ireland, you have to be 5.5km from your exchange.

• Advertisement

thats Great news man, im really happy for you, now you will be able to tell me what hardware the muppets are using
    im abite worried thats it will be only the 9 exchanges for afew months and then years

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Urban Weigl:
    In the UK and Northern Ireland, you have to be 5.5km from your exchange.</font>

I'm presuming you mean within 5.5km of your local exchange and not exactly 5.5Km from it... right? smile.gif

Bard
    First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Urban Weigl:
    In the UK and Northern Ireland, you have to be 5.5km from your exchange.</font>
    It all depends on the equipment and the bandwidth they intend to deliver.

Although I am aware of the distant constraints and the problems with DACS boxes etc. I was questioning the fact that you had to get your phone number checked out, because in the very small print of the mail shot it stated something like "although your exchange is ADSL ready the number you wish to use ADSL over must be checked".

Surely if your exchange has DSLAMs your ready to roll? My question is really why if your exchange is ready would your number not be suitable. If its a case of them checking your line, its going to be a major problem if people are simply told your line is to noisy etc. for roll out, as I am sure Eircom will probably do very little to sort you out, then again could you just order a new line insisting its ADSL capable?

it might be something to do with your history with eircom, more likely your house maybe in one area covered by an exchange but your line comes from another area,
    i was like that for awhile, i was on a different exchange to all my neighbours, pretty ****ed up

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 04-07-2001).]

• Advertisement

They confirmed over the phone that there is no download limit for the trails but pricing for after the trials has not yet been finalised (get 'em hooked reel 'em in!). They told there were no "ports available" in my area for my submitted number. Although my neighbours may be okay, this confirms what you said Gladiator, numbers and exchanges all over the shop. They told me I could not get a new line installed to avail of the trials! When I asked when the trials would give way to the full service could I then get a number to avail of the service they said yes. So its a waiting game now.

well the no limit thung means nothing, it could all change when it goes public.
    shame about you not getting it,

I'm on one of the trial exchanges. I was told the same thing as Dannger ("no ports available") but the line checks out as being capable of ADSL. It looks like they are only making available a limited number of DSLAMs for the trial. I was also told that the maximimum distance would be 3 to 5 Km although this still needs to be determined by the testing.

I regard this as good news even though the LLU issue is not yet finalised. I think that the campaigning for LLU and flat-rate dialling has to continue. Otherwise the incentive for Eircom to broaden their flat-rate products will not be there. Eircom may not be interested in IDSL (mentioned by Urban) and other forms of xDSL and if this is the case, then they should be made to get out of the way so that more competant and innovative companies can come in and supply these services. Eircom have had DSL capability for years now and I think it is the threat of LLU which is causing them to act now.

Without LLU we might find that these tests might prove "unreliable" and then it will be another three years before they start more.

It will be several more months (probably in to next year) before this Valentia sale goes through. It is vital that pressure be placed on Eircom now because a lot of things will go back to square one when Valentia takes over.

Well don't give up guys!!! I rang again to double check my number, and low and behold I was told this time that my number is okay!!! I got one of the supposed 150 places on the trial. I have an engineer booked and a free usb modem coming my way. Still I'll beleive it when I eventually log on with it July 20th...... hopefully!!! But the bad news is this time the Eirocm employee confirmed the trial will have a one gig a month limit in place and after it goes fully live in September there will be various packages available. All outrageously priced I'm sure! But its a start and the trial is all free until the end of September will free installation and modem.

the posts on this topic are quickly racking up!
    Thus puts to rest the bullsh*t about their being no interest in broadband!

[just please come quick]

80p.

80project.com
    stauntonline.com has been redesigned & re-launced as of July 2nd

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Skeptic1:

It will be several more months (probably in to next year) before this Valentia sale goes through. It is vital that pressure be placed on Eircom now because a lot of things will go back to square one when Valentia takes over.
    </font>

eircom sale wont take that long, theres a certain time table that must be followed and the clock was set in motion when the board backed there bide, that have something like 30 days from an offical offer to but it to the share holders. and the sell will go ahead alot quicker then eircell did if the unions are on board.

PS **** that 1gig limit, im not paying £40 - £50 on top of a 1gig limit, *******s

Advertisement