Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IDSL (that's not a typo)

Options
  • 04-07-2001 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I wonder why Eircom hasn't introduced IDSL in Ireland. It's basically a newer version of ISDN:

- It brings you 144kbps up/down
    - It uses ISDN compression technology
    - It's "always-on"
    - It leaves your phone line free for voice calls
    - It works anywhere where ISDN will

I think Eircom has some explaining to do: how come we're still getting ISDN technology from the 70's!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

its hard man with alot of tech problems,
    and limited bandwidth, they wanted something they could send digital tv down(which i think need 6mps)

Because it is expensive to upgrade their exchanges. Because it will kill their leased line business.

It is a good technology. IDSL is a form of DSL but does not have the range limitations of most forms of DSL. Also flat-rate.

With LLU, OLOs will have the option of installing this equipment in exchanges. I doubt Eircom are interested. After all, people are already paying (through the nose) for ISDN and low-capacity leased lines. They would be doing a disservice to their shareholders if they introduced it.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Skeptic1:

They would be doing a disservice to their shareholders if they introduced it.

</font>
    never stopped them before

Good point. And it was a bit cynical of me to say that in the first place (even though it's true).

In my opinion, most of the shareholder dissatisfaction has been to do with the perceived low quality of Eircom's board. Such was the case that the shareholders voted to hand over the the management of the mobile division to Vodaphone, a company whose shares were dropping even faster than those of Eircom. Now they are selling out to a bunch of US bankers.

If the shareholders were clever, they would simply vote to sack the board and hold on to the assets of Eircom.

[This message has been edited by Skeptic1 (edited 04-07-2001).]

• Advertisement

"its hard man with alot of tech problems,
    and limited bandwidth, they wanted something they could send digital tv down(which i think need 6mps)"

I don't know what tech problems you are talking about; I had a friend in the US who had it for his business. He got 4 static IP's with it, and apart from taking some time to install (he had to wait for a month!), I don't think it ever went down. He's now on an SDSL line though.

As far as digital TV is concerned, yes 144kbps doesn't offer enough bandwidth, but you can get digital TV via satellite anyway, so why bother?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hmmm:
    Because it is expensive to upgrade their exchanges. Because it will kill their leased line business.</font>

Because IDSL doesn't offer as much bandwidth, it shouldn't be as demanding as ADSL. Also, because it can reach anywhere where ISDN can, they'd be able to cover a huge area -- meaning less cost per potential customer.

I think it's all down to your second point: it'd kill their leased line business.

I suppose eircoms attitude has been...

"better to do it right than do it sh*te"

which is the best for the long run.
    If we can get the ultra high speed in the near future it will be worth the wait, rather than an interim stop gap!

80p.

80project.com
    stauntonline.com has been redesigned & re-launced as of July 2nd

[This message has been edited by 80project.com (edited 04-07-2001).]

IS this IDSL the same as R-ADSL that I've been hearing about from England???

--Chris--

<A HREF="http://uie.8m.com

THE" TARGET=_blank>http://uie.8m.com

THE</A> source for Internet news in Ireland. Polls, broadband, letter to ODTR, ISP details and A PETITION AGAINST EIRCOM.

Bloody sig still isnt working.

• Advertisement

IDSL is a (mostly) proprietary technology. Depending on the equipment Eircom is using, going down the IDSL route could be as simple as using different cards (or software) in their DSLAMs or as complex as installing and testing completely different DSLAMS, possibly from another vendor.

So while they are both DSL technologies (ie both multiplexed signals above the POTS spectrum), from a service provider's point of view, they're as different as chalk and cheese.

And, of course, there's the issue of cost - ADSL is, relatively speaking, dirt cheap to provide - its a tried-and-tested(elsewhere!) solution.

I doubt if Eircom are interested but does anyone know if through LLU, OLOs will be allowed to install IDSL? Or has the type of equipment already been agreed upon?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 80project.com:
    I suppose eircoms attitude has been...

"better to do it right than do it sh*te"

which is the best for the long run.
    If we can get the ultra high speed in the near future it will be worth the wait, rather than an interim stop gap!
    </font>
    You mean like 56K dialup, ISDN, WAP, "2.5G"?

Seriously though, I'd be quite happy with an interim stop gap like IDSL. Even after several years of "testing", what we are probably, getting is the sort of bog-standard ADSL that has been available for years in other countries.

[This message has been edited by Skeptic1 (edited 06-07-2001).]

Advertisement