Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom's new Broadband site

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

it all sound good, looking very nice people for september

at last we see some proof that eircom are off there ass and showing us that they are using mac flash sorry ok im getting more like a school girl on the playground after being told a secret ,,,dsl come to me

routine? expectations? competition? happiness? commitment? infatuation? virginity?
    respect? marriage? adultery? money? carnal knowledge? love?...
    ... blah, blah, blah

p.s i want dsl

You cannot be Serious-
    (No John McEnroe reference intended)

they have hacked some of the menu logos off of my site by the looks of it- I have the same hammer & spanner and phone logos. Theres is pretty shi*ty anyway. You'd need broadband as well by the time the stupid flash intro starts. Who do Eircom pay to design their sites- Their main eircom.ie site is pretty **** poor also.

I am actually so ****ed off, I may contact my legal team- I have copyright notice on my site.

80p.

80project.com
    stauntonline.com has been redesigned & re-launced as of July 2nd

[This message has been edited by 80project.com (edited 04-07-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

<Sorry: reading two threads at once, replied to wrong one - can't delete it now>

[This message has been edited by Kix (edited 05-07-2001).]

jeez 80, that is a nice site, you updated it I see !!
    I love the fading in of the links !!, done in Flash ?

• Advertisement

Thanks Ando.
    No its DHTML. The best alternative to flash. All the same effects w/ no overlong download time. A must for all webmasters and also downgrades well in all the older browser versions !!

Thanks Again
    80p.

80project.com

To Ando,
    Took a look @ your EF Training site today. Not bad indeed, complements to the webmaster. Its a good functional use of Flash rather than stupid hifi entrance sequences.
    Most impressed!!

80p.

80project.com

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 80project.com:
    You cannot be Serious-
    (No John McEnroe reference intended)

they have hacked some of the menu logos off of my site by the looks of it- I have the same hammer & spanner and phone logos. Theres is pretty shi*ty anyway. You'd need broadband as well by the time the stupid flash intro starts. Who do Eircom pay to design their sites- Their main eircom.ie site is pretty **** poor also.

I am actually so ****ed off, I may contact my legal team- I have copyright notice on my site.

80p.

</font>

Umm no,

Your use of two clip art images doesn't qualify you for the copyright abuse victim of the year. Both sites suck on the the big one. sorry, but it's true.

thanks bud wink.gif

btw "original concept" and the manner in which it is reproduced applies copyright infringement to be exact. I was annoyed purely because of the coincidence not out because I had my lawyers wheeling in bankers boxes full of litigation into the High Court.

Also Although critiscm is welcome please keep it constructive- That is a something very much prevalent on the IrelandOffline Board. There are a lot of other places on the net for you to abuse people so next time please use these mediums. (Shut Up or Put Up)

80p.

80project.com

• Advertisement

BTW, re: www.hex.... website
    Alastair you seem like your a fulltime web designer.
    When I say my website design is a hobby that itself is even an over estimation of the time and energy I expend on it. Like the way i have attempted to respond after viewing your site maybe you should be less analytical and more diplomatic. i am not about to critique you on your ability to function profienctly on my chosen fields of study/work. Its Very easy to criticise other ppl from where your standing!

80p.

80project.com

alastair, you give graphic designers a bad name!

lets recap.

80p alleges that his graphics have been nicked by whoever designed the eircom broadband site. He deems the result to be ****ty in any case. He also deems the main eircom site to be **** poor.

I think we see where we stand on calling a spade a spade.

But now i'm not so sure?

I responded in the same tone that the original remarks were made. I had some involvement in previous eircom site stuff, and I'd say that the main eircom site wasn't too bad up till the start of the year. It's new back end has caused it to do some annoying stuff. But it has both a flash and non-flash interface that works pretty well.

If diplomacy and constructive criticism are supposed to be the order of the day here, I hadn't noticed any evidence in relation to the discussion of the eircom site. I don't think there is anything of merit in the broadband site's design, but I didn't get a warm feeling from 80p's site either, and the implication was that it was something better.

My sincere apology if I have caused offence. If it's a hobby 80p then your work is commendable. It's all about context.

Fair Point, Apology accepted. Eircom though are a corporation who make my blood boil, so I may have been a little over the top and the use of colourful language as exibited was from the heart as such- although in retrospect a little OTT.

80p.

<a href="http://www.80project.com">80project.com</a&gt;

I think this has been said by someone else already, but I'm going to say it again:

The first thing that comes to mind when you fire up Eircom's new broadband site is that "I need broadband to download this". Who would be dumb enough to create a 500k+ web site when the target audience are all modem users? Seriously... it makes you think

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Urban Weigl:
    I think this has been said by someone else already, but I'm going to say it again:

The first thing that comes to mind when you fire up Eircom's new broadband site is that "I need broadband to download this". Who would be dumb enough to create a 500k+ web site when the target audience are all modem users? Seriously... it makes you think
    </font>

actually it says on the site that its for i stream trial users, not modem users,
    but its still stupid as it has to load before you can skip it

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by alastair:
    lets recap.

80p alleges that his graphics have been nicked by whoever designed the eircom broadband site. He deems the result to be ****ty in any case. He also deems the main eircom site to be **** poor.

I think we see where we stand on calling a spade a spade.

But now i'm not so sure?

I responded in the same tone that the original remarks were made. I had some involvement in previous eircom site stuff, and I'd say that the main eircom site wasn't too bad up till the start of the year. It's new back end has caused it to do some annoying stuff. But it has both a flash and non-flash interface that works pretty well.

If diplomacy and constructive criticism are supposed to be the order of the day here, I hadn't noticed any evidence in relation to the discussion of the eircom site. I don't think there is anything of merit in the broadband site's design, but I didn't get a warm feeling from 80p's site either, and the implication was that it was something better.

My sincere apology if I have caused offence. If it's a hobby 80p then your work is commendable. It's all about context.
    </font>

Well said, Alastair.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Urban Weigl:
    The first thing that comes to mind when you fire up Eircom's new broadband site is that "I need broadband to download this". Who would be dumb enough to create a 500k+ web site when the target audience are all modem users? Seriously... it makes you think</font>

The site in question is designed for the benefit of the people on the eircom ADSL trial and is therefore designed with broadband access in mind.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pbirney:
    The site in question is designed for the benefit of the people on the eircom ADSL trial and is therefore designed with broadband access in mind.</font>

Sorry this is just a rant smile.gif Just because those browsing the site are supposed to have broadband access, is no excuse for using sloppy 600k flash menus when 10k html is perfectly adequate. But then that's Eircon for you, always have their priorities arseways.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pbirney:
    The site in question is designed for the benefit of the people on the eircom ADSL trial and is therefore designed with broadband access in mind.</font>

Why produce a Flash movie if your audience is going to be 10 people? biggrin.gif

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Why produce a Flash movie if your audience is going to be 10 people?</font>

Because Eircom traditionally like to do things bass-ackwards. And the webmaster was at a loose end. It's a fair point though - hey Eircom, how stupid are you?

adam

Advertisement