Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adsl Trial User

Options
  • 04-07-2001 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

i wuld luv it if there was a person that was o user of this board or net/comms that "has" the trial dsl and what they made of eg,and giv us an idea of what gratious speed they have!

routine? expectations? competition? happiness? commitment? infatuation? virginity?
    respect? marriage? adultery? money? carnal knowledge? love?...
    ... blah, blah, blah

p.s i want dsl

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

oh how I wish I could answer your questions barra !! lol

god damn it, i thought from your topic name

"adsl trial user"

u were one and i was all excited about hearing what u had to say frown.gif
    although i'd be as envious as a ... real envious thing (curse tv it ruined my imagination)

[This message has been edited by nahdoic (edited 04-07-2001).]

Yea have to agree there I thought you had "dsl."

Ah well we can all live in hope!

I am a member of the OcUK board an I'm fairly sure some of the guys have ADSL/ cable connections cool.gif
    I will ask and get back to ya wink.gif

try this (copy & paste into yer browser)

It's on 512K cable connections wink.gif

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26180

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by soupdragon:
    I am a member of the OcUK board an I'm fairly sure some of the guys have ADSL/ cable connections cool.gif
    I will ask and get back to ya wink.gif
    </font>
    I think he meant the Eircom ADSL trials being carried out in Dublin at the momemnt.

Duh I know what he meant ADSL is ADSL ain't it? smile.gif

Duh I know what he meant ADSL is ADSL ain't it? smile.gif</font>

ADSL can typically offer downstream speeds of up to 8 or 9 mbps. However, the actual speed depends on your provider -- in the case of Eircom, this will be 512kbps (1/2 mbps). There are many other factors as well, but that's another story...

[This message has been edited by Urban Weigl (edited 09-07-2001).]

Duh I know what he meant ADSL is ADSL ain't it? smile.gif</font>
    It varies from provider to provider. There are a lot of potential differneces for example, contention ratios, bandwidth caps, reliability etc.

Originally posted by Urban Weigl:
    ADSL can typically offer downstream speeds of up to 8 or 9 mbps. However, the actual speed depends on your provider -- in the case of Eircom, this will be 512kbps (1/2 mbps). There are many other factors as well, but that's another story...

I heard somewhere that Eircom are bringing out different packages for residential users, EG...... £40 for 512Kbps with 3GB dwnload limit ..... £60 a month, 725Kb/s 6GB download limit ETC .... (figures are only an example)

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I heard somewhere that Eircom are bringing out different packages for residential users, EG...... £40 for 512Kbps with 3GB dwnload limit ..... £60 a month, 725Kb/s 6GB download limit ETC .... (figures are only an example)[/B]</font>

3GB per month does seem rather tight. I remember in the UK when Blue Yonder said they would consider disconnecting people downloading more than 500 MB per day (15GB/month), there was a massive uproar.

Furthermore, the price seems steep as well. I can't see the average Joe Street paying £40+/month so that he can surf ireland.com. I'd say the price should be set at around £30 per month (for example £29.95). That'd still be £10 more expenxive compared to Germany, and slower too (German ADSL is 768kbps, being upgraded to 1.5mbps shortly). Still, as the population density in Ireland isn't very high, I think it'd be a realistic price.

You can see in the UK what high DSL pricing does. I'd hate the same mistake to be repeated here; I believe we can do better than the British.

[This message has been edited by Urban Weigl (edited 09-07-2001).]

Another thing: Because having widespread affordable broadband access may well be beneficial to the Irish economy, especially in the long-term, I think it might be a good idea for the Irish government to take a more active part in the funding and deployment of this technology, because right now, the private sector largely does not have the "cash" to invest (as with every service, ADSL will initially cost money to roll out).

I definitley read on some of the posts on this page earlier today where someone said they were starting the trial adsl eircom pack on the 23rd of july.....f**ked if i can find where it is but i DEFINITLEY read it earlier, this is the only forum i read today also im sure of it

Farls

I think the Government may be interested in doing something (financially). A couple of years ago they hyped the Internet Hub thing internationally. Although this was never aimed at SME/home users it does look odd that internet access for these users is backward in this country. A company setting up a server farm here would find it unusual that they can't even get cable modem access for their managers. Ireland is now known abroad for this backwardness and this must have been communicated to the Government.

How the money is spent is very important though. A lot of the money so far paid seems to have been squandered.

Here's the first report of Eircom's ADSL trial that I've read. Stangely depressing, I thought.

yea it ill be july 20 - 24 before they install a modem,
    this is why anybody getting adsl in september is out of the question,
    it will probably be november before most see it, as at the moments its taking them a month to set up just afew people, what happens when half of boards.ie go for it smile.gif

at least me will probably be able to sing up for it in september, maybe get a free installation, and we will know the price.

one thing about the limit,
    it will make 1891 56k better then adsl for downloads.

on a 56k i can download 1mb in 3 minutes with a 1891 number ill pay 1.5 for my 1mb

on adsl i can download 1mb in .3minutes but pay 2p for that same mb. (based on what chorus charge)

this is how eircom works, every time the move on one step you move back two.

well actualy Gladiator i have gotten 1mb downloaded off powernet from chorus in under 1.5secs that is the highest speed i got, it was off an Italian server. yes it is in theory impossible cus the modem has a max downstream limit of 512k so this just shows that chorus are not capping the speeds which is great.another question is it legal for chorus to bill you for data that you downloaded over the 3gig limit if you cant moniter what you downloaded?

i wasnt actually getting at the speed but at the fact once your limit is up, adsl/cable will cost you more on a per mb base then 56k,

and theres serveral program out there that will alow you to record your donwload and uploads

Od course this is persuming eircom are *******s and limit downloads,

and why would chorus cap, the faster you download the more you download the more you pay the, they wont cap untill their service is up and running fully

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 10-07-2001).]

i keep 4 getting that the service isent up fully [cus i have it for 5 to 6 months]but i think if chorus are going 2 bill you per mb they should provide software to moniter it.you simply cant stay under 3gigs a month i am doing 6 on average.and i taught chorus would cap the service to 512k cus they have to pay for bandwith to the internet which they may also be charged per mb or gig

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by irishguy:
    i keep 4 getting that the service isent up fully [cus i have it for 5 to 6 months]but i think if chorus are going 2 bill you per mb they should provide software to moniter it.you simply cant stay under 3gigs a month i am doing 6 on average.and i taught chorus would cap the service to 512k cus they have to pay for bandwith to the internet which they may also be charged per mb or gig </font>

no thats not how it works, they just buy international bandwidth, off who i dont know

• Advertisement
Advertisement