Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

£25 for cable broadband in the uk

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

This is exactly what I've been talking about in some of my previous posts - you shove a low cost service out into the market, and you're guaranteed a large takeup. That results in large revenues, and although the margins are low you can offset the revenues against borrowing and use the loans to expand your network. This starts a loop that could last for at least four or five years, with ever increasing customer numbers, revenues and networks. If you come up with a good exit plan now - like balancing out your prices in a year or two - then you can slow the process down gradually and avoid debt problems like we've seen with BT and 3G. It's a process very much like the mobile boom we've seen in Ireland. Jeez, all I did was second-level economics and even I can see it. Are the OLO's blind or what?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

lol laddys it also makes me sick to stomoch and every now and then i often fantisise about what speed it wuld be and i ask shall i emegrate to da uk? hell why not

routine? expectations? competition? happiness? commitment? infatuation? virginity?
    respect? marriage? adultery? money? carnal knowledge? love?...
    ... blah, blah, blah

p.s i want dsl

Again, we see NTL forging ahead in England while halting here. Still, why should they bother here? All people expect from them is a few British channels. It really annoys me the fact that they type of analogue cable here is completely obsolete (first deployed in the US in 1948).

You could wipe out NTL (and Chorus) commercially with a one digital TV multiplex channel. A simple roof-top arial and a decoder box bought in an electrical shop would do the job.

In the UK, they have to provide extra services because most people pick up five channels anyway. The new digital terrestrial services over there will wipe out a 14 channel analogue cable service in any case.

The view here seems to be that if you protect an company from competion, it will feel more secure and will devote more to investing in infrastructure and will provide a better service to customers. We are living with the consequences of this view right now.

We could have had cable Internet in all the urban centres were it not for naive policy making on the part of the Government and The ODTR. In most countries, cable modems come first. DSL follows as an attempt by the telcos to hang on to customers. Flat-rate services have come about from this sort of competition.

Over the next few years I expect DSL will be rolled out to most towns in Ireland. But it will be on Eircom's terms. None of this flat-rate nonsense for Eircom! You will get a pre-paid amount of Mbytes followed by a per-Mbyte charge. Eircom will claim that this is what people want.

[This message has been edited by Skeptic1 (edited 09-07-2001).]

Re: Adams Point and Pricing

Its a point that I agree with a lot. That was why I conducted the pricing survey for the ODTR meeting. If the price is £50 or £60 p/m, you know whats going to happen if they intro DSL... The predictable Press Release: " We regret we are withdrawing the service due to a lack of interest". It needs to priced fairly for there to be a high uptake. The Telco's need to see the service as a "loss leader", but with long term profitability, because they will have the relationships forged at the beginning!

[BTW, I'll try to get the Pat Kenny interview uploaded sometime this week. It'll probably depend if I can sneek an FTP program onto a PC @ work. i'll keep u posted.]

80p.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Barra:
    lol laddys it also makes me sick to stomoch and every now and then i often fantisise about what speed it wuld be and i ask shall i emegrate to da uk? hell why not

</font>

From what I've heard, you only get around 60k/sec downloading files through telewest, and 20k/sek uploading files. Sure that's a lot faster than what's available in Ireland right now, but in terms of comparing it to many cable providers in the US, it's still slow.

NOTE: Above speeds were average speeds that MacUser UK got when downloading and uploading files. I don't know how the service has developed since. Of course it's important to know that if the file on the other side is located on an ISDN-class leased line, you won't see those speeds.

[This message has been edited by Urban Weigl (edited 09-07-2001).]

• Advertisement

A comment from an NTL cable subscriber in the UK:

"NTL offers Broadband 512k for £20/month if you buy the modem for £150, or £25/month if you rent the modem.
    I download from between 60-110k/sec which is far better than 56k LOL "

Looks like it's helluva quick.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Urban Weigl:
    From what I've heard, you only get around 60k/sec downloading files through telewest, and 20k/sek uploading files. Sure that's a lot faster than what's available in Ireland right now, but in terms of comparing it to many cable providers in the US, it's still slow.</font>
    Yes. With dual ISDN I get about 14.7k/sec. This is in ideal conditions and at huge cost.

people seem happy enough to blame each other for short comings and takre crap,
    i will not get adsl if its per MB.it might as well be Per minute.
    thsi is why Irelandoffline is so important,

Am I right in reading from the article at the top of the post that BT are having misgivings about the economics of DSL? If that's the case, how is it going to work better here..

Advertisement