Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O Brien would be better running eircom

Options
  • 11-07-2001 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

i know none of us can say for sure what way it will work,
    but if anto( tongue.gif)gets it you can allmost be sure of a repeat of chorus with per mb charges on adsl,

Allso i get the impression form o briens past he knows alot about telecoms and people hes trying to sell to, he would have no problem offering adsl as a lost leader to get people into it,
    its seems to me eircoms has had bad management since goverment days, anto doesnt have a clue a clue about running a telecom and will be slow to give new tech to the people.

Allso with him there will be a net debt of over 4 billion, were as obrien wont be borrowing nearly as much as him, and will be left with about a 2.5billion debt (2 billion eircom owes now)

this means for the first number of years no investment in infastructure, by the time they get around to it, mr tiger will have gotthen the last train for the coast.

its a very very sad day for ireland when he buys eircom, luckily hes having problems getting the money so maybe it will not come to pass.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

i know none of us can say for sure what way it will work, but if anto( tongue.gif)gets it you can allmost be sure of a repeat of chorus with per mb charges on adsl,

I think you might be right Gladiator, but I also think there's a fair chance DOB might do the same thing, and if I'm honest I wouldn't blame him if he did. Ireland seems to be, for once, learning from the mistakes of others. In a country like the US, uncapped transfer levels are not really a problem, because bandwidth is dirt cheap compared to Ireland. But Ireland is a completely different story - bandwidth is disgracefully expensive in Ireland, so letting people abuse the crap out of it would be make the service untenable for the service provider, and unusable for the customers.

Of course, I'd like to see an uncapped service, and I wouldn't abuse it, but I honestly don't think I could blame someone for capping it. My concern would be with the size of the caps, not the existance of them. Also, to be fair, this is really pretty much idle speculation, and it probably won't help matters to talk about it in public. Especially when you've got businessmen like me commenting on it. smile.gif

Allso i get the impression form o briens past he knows alot about telecoms and people hes trying to sell to, he would have no problem offering adsl as a lost leader to get people into it

Probably what you meant anyway, but I'm not sure Denis actually does know a lot about telecomm's. Denis is a businessman, and a pretty good one in my opinion, and a really good businessman can run any kind of company. Unlike Alfie Kane and Ray MacSharry, whose achievements to date in Eircom include systematically destroying the share price, and in the process - for some unfathomable reason - raising their own salaries and bonuses. (Of course, Mr. McSharry's chairing of the Renumerations Committee has nothing to do with this at all, perish the thought.)

Denis' previous experience in telecomms is really only a bonus. Of course, Tony O'Reilly is a businessman too, and obviously a good one, but I honestly don't trust the man, and I don't think he's an innovator. I think Denis is, and that's why I would prefer to see him as the boss of Eircom.

its seems to me eircoms has had bad management since goverment days

Well, you see that's half the problem - even after Eircom was privatised it was still run by the government. Most of the seats on the board were filled by politicians, and most of the management was made up of civil servants. When all is said and done, it was just a big horse of a fundrasier for the government. Very little changed in Eircom. They couldn't even sack anyone for gods sake.

anto doesnt have a clue a clue about running a telecom and will be slow to give new tech to the people.

I wouldn't agree with the first statement 100%, but I would the second.

its a very very sad day for ireland when he buys eircom, luckily hes having problems getting the money so maybe it will not come to pass.

Well, I've got my fingers crossed for Denis anyway. I just hope he doesn't show me up if he pulls it off. smile.gif
    adam

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:

Probably what you meant anyway, but I'm not sure Denis actually does know a lot about telecomm's. Denis is a businessman, and a pretty good one in my opinion, and a really good businessman can run any kind of company.
    </font>

Indeed - no one is infallible when it comes to business. Let's not forget the Eireann Satellite TV channel that gave Esat its name - forward thinking but in the marketplace at the wrong time (these days it might do quite well)

Advertisement