Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IrelandOffline to Meet Eircom

Options
  • 12-07-2001 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Got a telephone call from Eircom today to tell us they are very keen to meet us!

We are meeting them next Thursday - same day as our public meeting so another good reason for coming along to hear first hand report smile.gif

Person we are meeting is Pat Galvin, Director of Regulatory Affairs.

Suggestions for specific questions/issues we should raise with them are welcome (as always) on this board or emailed to me direct.

Martin Harran

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

weres this thursdays meat and what time, sorry if its been said 20 times before but id like to get it straight, and is there a charge,

O and please do what you did with the odtr and open up question request to the board and then lay out the meating.

Im really really anxious about this ADSL Cap

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gladiator:
    weres this thursdays meet and what time, sorry </font>

Thursday 19th July 7:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
    Venue and agenda will be announced over weekend but it will be central Dublin

If you intend to come please email me ASAP with subject "Public Meeting - YES" as we're trying to get idea of numbers to expect.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">O and please do what you did with the odtr and open up question request to the board and then lay out the meeting.</font>
    Exactly why I opened this thread smile.gif

Martin Harran

Im really really anxious about this ADSL Cap
    </font>

Keep in mind this meeting is with Regulatory Affairs and so the person in question probably is not involved in defining/pricing the new DSL service. Sounds like an LLU discussion (and possibly flat-rate).

Be sure and get a follow up meeting. There may be issues raised at the public meeting wink.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Suggestions for specific questions/issues we should raise with them are welcome (as always) </font>

For me these rumours about a 1gb cap on the proposed(rumoured?)dsl service are my biggest worry. If they put a silly 1-5gb cap on it for example i don't see the point in offering it to the type of customer thats likely to want a broadband service, or for that matter a 24/7 dialup service.

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Longfield:
    For me these rumours about a 1gb cap on the proposed(rumoured?)dsl service are my biggest worry. If they put a silly 1-5gb cap on it for example i don't see the point in offering it to the type of customer thats likely to want a broadband service, or for that matter a 24/7 dialup service.</font>

If they do put a cap on it, what kind of fines are you looking at for breaking the limit?
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Skeptic1:
    Be sure and get a follow up meeting. There may be issues raised at the public meeting. .</font>

will there be a representative from Eircom at the Public meeting?

Also we need a timescale for all (if any) proposals they make, one that they WILL stick too unlike past venture.

Farls

The right way, the wrong way and MY way!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Farls:
    will there be a representative from Eircom at the Public meeting?
    </font>

Not at the public meeting but we expect them to have one at the seminar in August !

Martin

Any q's for eircom should be short and straight.
    Along the lines of...
    When will broadband be available and @ what price?
    Will their be d/l limit?

If you can come away from the meeting w/ these answers it would be a major step in consolodating the campaign. it is though great to hear there will be a meeting.
    (what next the taoiseach!?)
    80p.

well theres no point asking them question they cant answer(better stay away from 2+2=? questions as well), stick to the department they are dealing with,
    ill have a read in work tomorrow and im sure ill come up with a few

Edit as for the meet, i wont know till the day if im going, im that type of person edit

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 12-07-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 80project.com:
    </font>
    Now there's an idea...wonder could we fit him into our busy schedule?

LOL

Martin

• Advertisement

i think that asking for ADSL for the moment is something out of time (they haven't got a clue themselves either).

What make this organisation start up was to get affordable flat-rate access. What we should do is try to let them know that flat-rate can be a business as well. That, Ireland needs it. If you try to push that way we can probably get something from them.

ADSL? OK you can talk to them as well about that. When is it going to be available, what's the schedule, etc ...

But my main concern is that we all get affordable Flat-rate access.

JamworkS

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JamworkS:

</font>

I second that!

Farls

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JamworkS:
    ADSL? OK you can talk to them as well about that. When is it going to be available, what's the schedule, etc ...
    </font>
    Yes. I think we have a right to know that. If Eircom won't tell us then they are holding the country to ransom.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    </font>
    I wouldn't expect much out of Eircom on this unfortunately. The reason we want flat-rate access is because currently we are paying a fortune to Eircom by the minute. Eircom would have to give up that fortune if they supply flat-rate. I don't think they are too keen on that. wink.gif Still, it's worth asking.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Skeptic1:
    Originally posted by JamworkS:
    </font>
    Yes. I think we have a right to know that. If Eircom won't tell us then they are holding the country to ransom. Their refusal to answer, we can interpret as incompetence or arrogance thus providing a case for more vigorous enforcement of LLU in subsequent meetings with the ODTR and Dept. of Public Enterprise.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    </font>
    I wouldn't expect much out of Eircom on this unfortunately. The reason we want flat-rate access is because currently we are paying a fortune to Eircom by the minute. Eircom would have to give up that fortune if they supply flat-rate. I don't think they are too keen on that. wink.gif Still, it's worth asking.

actually, the taoiseach isnt out of reach,
    alot of iol members i dear say are from his constituency, dont forget theres an election coming up, hes been around my area canvasting all ready. convince his people its a topic important to members of his constituency and he will have a meet

o_donnel_abu ive something new, as eircom what the connection ratio on adsl will be,
    like how much bandwidth will be shared between users

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by o_donnel_abu:
    Now there's an idea...wonder could we fit him into our busy schedule?

LOL

Martin

[/B]</font>

With my contacts... it's quite a possibility wink.gif

- and now that Mrs. O'Rourke is "involved", it should be easier to grab his attention...

Bard
    I've got a plan... and it's as HOT... AS MY PANTS!!!" - Lord Flashheart.

dont forget theres an election coming up, hes been around my area canvasting all ready. convince his people its a topic important to members of his constituency and he will have a meet</font>

Fianna Fáil are insisting that this Government is going to run it's full course and the election won't take place until next summer (2002).

Bard

PS: FYI:- it's "canvassing", not "canvasting".

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 13-07-2001).]

canvassing tongue.giftongue.gif
    anywho, that doesnt mean a thing, as i said they have allready started to campaign

anywho, that doesnt mean a thing, as i said they have allready started to campaign</font>

It does mean something. It means the politicians can potentially try to ignore it for longer and only make it a "hot topic" closer to the election if they want to.

IrelandOffline are here, of course, to make it impossible for that to happen biggrin.gif.

Bard

• Advertisement

I have a question and it may seem like nothing but i know friends in the UK find it most annoying, WHEN flat rate does come in will Eircom or other ISP's bring "cut offs" into existence like BT done in the UK, where every 2 hrs you get automatically disconnected?

another thing was they were only aloud stay online for 11hr's a day, this did not cause that much hassle seeing as there are so many ISP's available, but AFAIK every ISP over the water has a cut off point and i think the longest is after 5hrs online.

that doesn't count broadband btw i know lots of ppl with cable and they leave it on 24/7 with no cut offs and no d/load limit either.

I stand to be corrected

Farls

Please see new topic "IOFFL - Proposed questions for Eircom"

Martin

Advertisement