Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRELAND OFFLINE - MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!!!

Options
  • 08-07-2001 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry about shouting but I think we are entitled to shout about this smile.gif

On 29th August, we are holding a seminar in Dublin. It will be opened by Mary O'Rourke and we hope to have papers presented by ESAT, the ODTR and Eircom, followed by a
    panel discussion with questions from the floor.

MO'R, ESAT and the ODTR have already agreed to support this - we will be contacting Eircom this week.

This is a *major* achievement for IrelandOffline and we will be seeking
    everyone's support.

In view of this seminar coming up and a lot of other issues to be discussed,we will be having our Public Meeting on Thursday 19th July. Venue is yet to be finalised but it will be central Dublin, kicking off at 7:00 p.m. and aiming to finish about 9:30 p.m.

We hope to see as many people as possible at this meeting.

If you want to be kept informed on the details of these events, please join our mailing list if you have not already done so, as this is where most of the communications will be done.

You can do so on the Contact Us page at www.irelandoffline.com

Martin Harran
    IrelandOffline

[This message has been edited by o_donnel_abu (edited 08-07-2001).]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Well done Martin. I'll start airing out the Eircon t-shirt straight away... smile.gif

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

sounds good, shame i cant be there, its on a wednesday, some of us have to work frown.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gladiator:
    sounds good, shame i cant be there, its on a wednesday, some of us have to work frown.gif</font>

We're aiming for 4:00 to 7:30 so that people can maybe get out of work a bit early.

Guys'n'gals this could be the making or breaking of IrelandOffline, we want at least 200 people there.

All you people who said "anything i can do to help...", now you can, just be there smile.gif

Martin

i dont know feicing shame, depends on were it is and how hard it is to get to

well done AGAIN everybody,
    I cant attend as I will be on holidays.
    but I will be there in spirit.

Let them have it Martin.

• Advertisement

Great news, will be there.

Great news folks. I'm also working but I intend asking to-morrow for a couple of days off and I intend to be there. I think that I'm already on the mailing list.

Congrats on getting this organised with all the parties involved.

If its on late I hope to come along and if not, best of luck.

Ditto
    Ditto

80p.

I'm a 3-hour drive from Dublin, but I'll do my best to be there. smile.gif

• Advertisement

Just to clarify, when I said we need at least 200 there, I was referring to the seminar.

The public meeting on 19th July is also important but if you can only attend one event, make it the seminar smile.gif

Martin

p.s. Thx for all the comments

I'd just like to say that i'll be at that meeting and seminar and anything else like, it will take me about an hour and a half to get to Dublin and then god knows after that with traffic!...i think its a F***ING DISGRACE tho if EVERYONE on this board doesn't attend...its like everything else these days...your happy to complain but won't actually get off yer ass and do anything, i mean C'MON like!...ok i understand your in a job or the likes but this is plenty of notice to get time off an hour or 2 won't kill you and if you live in Dublin you really have no excuse!

The right way, the wrong way and MY way!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

eeeeeexxcellent smile.gif

In spirit is all well and good, but in body is better - we need bums on seats - ... as Martin said, more so for the seminar, but as Martin also said - those of you who pledged your support - here's how you can make good on that... BE there!... and make IrelandOffline's voice as damn loud as possible!

Naturally I'll be at both - both as an interested individual committed to helping out the cause - and as a committee member.

Having work is, of course, a perfectly fair excuse- but I'd ask all those who are *genuinely* interested in our goals and our efforts to try to get off early- you've got plenty of notice!!!

Bard
    First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

I have to agree with you Farls, both of these are very important and a large turnout would be great. But as said we need a good turnout at the seminar at the very least; otherwise it may look like "Anne Corcoran" was right afterall.

Also I'm in Sligo, and unless something serious turns up I intend to be at both the meeting and the seminar. As I've said on numerous occasions my FULL support is with the committee, and having done so well in such a short time, a major turnout would add weight to their arguments.

hehe...just a question anyone going thru or from cavan to it?...if so do you have a car load?...lol

Farls

I will be at both these events.

I'll certainly get my bum into the seminar, but sadly won't be able to make it for the public meeting with the ODTR -- I'll be in Germany on the 19th.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Urban Weigl:
    I'll certainly get my bum into the seminar, but sadly won't be able to make it for the public meeting with the ODTR -- I'll be in Germany on the 19th.</font>

Just to clarify:

19 July - public meeting of IOFFL group--ODTR will not be there (agenda coming soon).

29 August - seminar with ODTR, Esat, Mary O'Rourke, probably Eircom, and IOFFL

John

Martin,

What about other OLO's? Esat ain't the only one you know... smile.gif

adam

I doubt I'll be there for the public meeting, but I'll definatly be there for the seminar, I'll have to get off work for it although !

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:
    Martin,

What about other OLO's? Esat ain't the only one you know... smile.gif

adam
    </font>

We're thinking about UTVInternet but don't want to have too many speakers there.

Any others you were thinking about ?

Martin

DATES AND TIMES OF MEETINGS

There seems to be a little confusion on this:

Public Meeting
    Thur 19th July
    Start 7:00 p.m.
    Finish 9:30 p.m.
    Venue will be announced within next few days, will be central Dublin

Seminar
    Wed 29th August
    Start 4:00 p.m.
    Finish 7:30 p.m.
    Venue to be agreed but will be Dublin

Martin

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by o_donnel_abu:
    We're thinking about UTVInternet but don't want to have too many speakers there.

Any others you were thinking about ?

Martin

</font>
    ntl showed a major interest in llu at the start

I'm not saying i want them speaking at the meeting, but how comes AOL haven't had any interaction here at all?...from what i've heard both them and NTL run the most decent ISP's in the UK perhaps they might like a piece of the action here?

just a thought

Farls

The right way, the wrong way and MY way!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Farls:
    I'm not saying i want them speaking at the meeting, but how comes AOL haven't had any interaction here at all?...from what i've heard both them and NTL run the most decent ISP's in the UK perhaps they might like a piece of the action here?

just a thought

Farls

</font>

AOL did expand their ISP operation to Ireland (just Dublin I think) a year or two ago... no idea if it's still operating here though...

Bard
    First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

NTL are a must, given the discretion they have been granted by the ODTR. If anyone needs to answer questions (apart from Eircom), NTL are the bunch. I'd look into it Martin.

80p.

Sorry Martin, busy day. Anyway, what I meant by that was the other ISP's, particularly the smaller ones. I haven't really thought about it very carefully, but I imagine the smaller ISP's would benefit quite a lot from LLU. But just off the top of my head I can think of a large number of possibilities:

Cable operators: NTL, Chorus, That Crowd In Waterford (who are *currently* running cable Internet services! smile.gif

Companies not currently operating in Ireland: Tiscali, AOL, etc. (Point out to them the relative cost of sending a rep, and the big advantage to them of attending an ostensibly open and transparent meeting like this)

Wireless providers or wannabe providers

SME and corporate representative groups: Enterprise Ireland, local Enterprise Boards, etc.

Teleworker representative groups

Consumer representative groups

That sounds a lot bigger than it really is. If you get in touch - and I'll help any way I can - with as many organisations as you can, and explain to them just how important this meeting is to them, I guarantee they'll send a representative. And you don't have to put them all on the platform either - just ask them to come along and watch, or throw a question from the floor.

Most of this stuff is of course destined to be discussed at the first meeting in July, and I'll be there and I'll bring them up, but now is a good time to start firing invitations and "politcal material" together. More importantly, now is an *excellent* time to stick your toe in the water and see who's actually interested. Send out invitations and see who responds. RSVP smile.gif

adam

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:
    That sounds a lot bigger than it really is. If you get in touch - and I'll help any way I can - with as many organisations as you can, and explain to them just how important this meeting is to them, I guarantee they'll send a representative. And you don't have to put them all on the platform either - just ask them to come along and watch, or throw a question from the floor.</font>
    Great stuff, Adam, like to put a list together (with contact details/email if possible) and send it to me?

We are currently thinking about NTL and have alreday contacted SFA and IBEC/TIF asking for support.

Martin

Notes:
    SFA is Small Firms Association
    TIF is Telecommunications and Internet Federation, a sectoral group within IBEC

[This message has been edited by o_donnel_abu (edited 09-07-2001).]

I'll make a few phone calls over the next few days if I get a chance Martin. Any chance you could forward me a list of who've you've contacted already so we don't cross paths?

adam

• Advertisement

AOL have a POP in Dublin for registered users (as they have in nearly every city worldwide)..

Dublin operation is to service AOLUK smile.gif

[This message has been edited by lphchild (edited 11-07-2001).]

Advertisement