Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT reduce ADSL to £30 a month.....

Options
  • 27-07-2001 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

BT have cut the price of its IPStream 500 to £30 per month. The speed of the 500 service is 512 kbps download and 256 kbps upload but does any one know if there is capping on it?

Original story at http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/22/20693.html

[This message has been edited by Dangger (edited 27-07-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

no capping, and when did they upgrade to 256k,

thats a pure kick in the head lads,
    trying to compete with cable at 20/25 pounds
    and trying to take freeserve out which upped its price to £49.99 just last month,

Ps ip stream, i guess we know we eirscum got I stream from

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

As a point of reference, i asked me mate who lives in finland what the prices were, heres what he sent me:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    If your building has an exisiting ADSL/ISDN customer they will install it free of charge, or if your building is in a certain area (they are very ambiguous on this one!??!) it's also free of charge.

There's a 50fim/month charge + a charge related to the speed scheme you choose:

download / upload speeds price (fim/month)
    128 / 128 199
    255 / 255 299
    512 / 512 549
    1M / 512 1037
    2M / 512 1043

(currency convertor: divide by 7.55 for Irish pounds)
    </font>

Now hes not hugely techie, but from that it looks like SDSL for 75 notes a month. or 40 for the 256 option. He didnt mention any capping, ill try and find out.

why do you say sdsl, did he say it, adsl can reach those speeds most of the time with a max limit of around 700k but a working limit of 600k on most lines
    allso does that include line rental, as in alot of these countries line rental on an adsl line nearly equals the adsl charge,(like germany)

"Incredible, yes, but the former state monopoly which carried the same arrogant mentality into the commercial world and alienated other telcos, customers, media, City and ultimately loyal shareholders, looks like it has woken up and smelt the coffee. Namely recognised that fast, extensive broadband roll-out is in everyone's benefits, including its own."

i can only hope a pray eirscum will do the same,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

no he didn't mention sdsl, I just thought since it was symmetric for most of them it was sdsl. I have no idea really, just conjecture.

• Advertisement

i nt going to hassel you over it,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Gladiator, now you're just trolling. You've been here long enough to know that ADSL stands for Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line and SDSL stands for Symmetric Digital Subscriber Line. If the upstream and downstream speeds are the same, it's a fair assumption that it's SDSL. I've had just about enough of this kind of rubbish from you.

Bard: I would like to respectfully request that Gladiator is either given a final warning or has his account removed please. He's taking nearly ever single thread off-topic, he's confusing other users with misinformation and he's quite obviously trolling and flaming. I know we need as much support as we can get, but this really isn't helping one bit.

adam

[This message has been edited by dahamsta (edited 27-07-2001).]

you sir are wrong at its simple as that, just because the speed are the same doesnt make it SDSL, and if you read my post i never said it wasnt SDSL i just asked how he came to that conclusion

it is you who is taking this off topic and it is you that is flaming

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 27-07-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:
    it's a fair assumption that it's SDSL. I've had just about enough of this kind of rubbish from you.
    </font>

Much as I hate to take sides against you, Adam (the voice of reason), it is an ADSL service.

Fully agree with your other comments though - I still can't believe how rude he was to AC from the ODTR earlier.

[This message has been edited by hudson806 (edited 27-07-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dangger:
    BT have cut the price of its IPStream 500 to £30 per month.
    </font>

Just to clarify it, that's the wholesale price they have reduced (it was STG35), so it's still going to cost about STG45 by the time you add the ISP fee.

Still, its nice to see the prices going in the right direction. wink.gif

• Advertisement

well hubson enough please ***** at me when i am wrong, i never thought id see anybody agree when im right,
    btw nice change adam, cant stand by what you said, "it is SDSL you muppet"

and the AC, i was just repeating something alot of you have said, what is this, you ***** about the odtr and the minute you meat someone from them, you put on the charm,

sorry im not two faced like some

another thing how many of you laid into esat CS after getting kicked off, dubble standards i think

lol lads dosent it bring a tear to your eye , ahhhh just think of adsl , the sheer speed , no worries about being on to long , heh u culd leave yer pc on while u were at work ect , *sniff* *sniff* 30 quid lol
    what do u think eircom ppl think (guys in power) when they watch Itv and see bt with 14.99 for unlimited 56k access?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gladiator:
    no capping, and when did they upgrade to 256k,

thats a pure kick in the head lads,
    trying to compete with cable at 20/25 pounds
    and trying to take freeserve out which upped its price to £49.99 just last month,
    </font>

BT ADSL has always been 512kbps down, 256kbps upstream. Additionally, most ISP's charge £39.99 and not £49.99 for the service (the reason Freeserve upped the price was to force the regulator to reduce the wholesale rate of ADSL, so that it would cost the same as in France. At least that's according to a story some months ago in The Register).

Many people can't get cable in their area, so they're forced to get BT ADSL instead. That's why BT doesn't really have to compete with cable in terms of how much they are going to charge.

[This message has been edited by Urban Weigl (edited 27-07-2001).]

futhermore i didnt say most did so dont miss quote me i said freeserver so,
    and that would be most uk isp, not most isp anyway.

as for 256k i couldnt have sworn it was 128k when it came out

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

(from September's PCW):
    (56k unmetered access)

"Heavy home Internet users in britain get a better deal than those in California, according to Oftel.
    UK users pay an average of £18 a month for unmetered access compared with £19 in California and £39 in Germany. French users have it even worse as they do not have unmetered access..."

futhermore i didnt say most did so dont miss quote me i said freeserver so,
    and that would be most uk isp, not most isp anyway.</font>

I never said you weren't correct when you stated that Freeserve charges £49.99 for ADSL. They do. Just wanted to point out that most other ISPs charge less. Sorry you felt I was attacking you.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">as for 256k i couldnt have sworn it was 128k when it came out</font>

BT ADSL has always been 256kbps. The only change BT have made in terms of their ADSL service is the introduction of RADSL. Maybe you're confusing it with ADSL in Germany, which is 768kbps down, 128kbps up?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hudson806:
    Much as I hate to take sides against you, Adam (the voice of reason), it is an ADSL service.</font>

Fair enough, cheers hudson. I still say it was a troll though... smile.gif

adam

it was not, i was right and you cant admitt it, how small and weak of you,

i notice you still havent said sorry for saying i was wrong and callign me a muppet for saying it wasnt sdsl,

BTW beofre anyone goes quoteing hes edited up his post

OMG Gladiator, is it possible to read a topic here recently without you being confrontational with someone? Your rudeness to AC (which really got me annoyed) no doubt did Ireland Offline no good at all.
    Please, for everyones sanity calm down.

• Advertisement

i jsut said what you all were thinking

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:
    Fair enough, cheers hudson. I still say it was a troll though... smile.gif
    </font>

Couldn't agree more.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    i jsut said what you all were thinking
    </font>

Yeah, that's right. As soon as I saw the post from AC, the first thing I thought was, "Cool - someone who's trying to help. Lets treat her like shit."

[This message has been edited by hudson806 (edited 27-07-2001).]

well at least you admitt it hudson

actually no, it was that the local loope was undundled since january comment that ****ed me off and i know it ****ed alot of you off when the regulator made it in the interview, i presonaly think i was very restrained.

convince me i was overboard and ill email her an apology

Gladiator, shut up, will ya? You don't do anything else than moaning. At least listen and think of the answer, not just throw whatever comes out of your mouth.

JamworkS

you what **** you and full this board, that was the last straw, im sick of people having ago, im not an open target, and you thought things were bad, i havent even started

well at least you admitt it hudson
    </font>

Actually, I was being sarcastic.

id never have guessed

WHY R we wasting so much time, energy, space, and even fighting over such things as ASDL SDL Upload and download speeds, and the like ?? All the time we do not have any 'no limits' or subscription service, we hardly have an economic internet connection, so why not concentrate on that 1ST. ?? All this started because ESAT through us off the No limits service, so why not concentrate our energies on that ? All the rest is surely 'bunkum' until we get an affordable unmetered access . ?? right or wrong ?
    I note that 'across the border' they have total unmetered internet access 24/7 x 365 for £99. !!! Now BT internet have introduced unmetered 24/7 x 365 for £14.99 p.m. I wish to god they would bring it over here !! I think all you 'techies' are making things a little complicated for others. Lets stick to the issue, for which Irelandoffline was first set up.Unlimited and unmetered access. !!

an interesting point i think, bt had a unlimited off peak service before they had a 24/7 one, why do i get the feeling we have speted backwards

• Advertisement

Well in anycase ... it really does show how poor a state access is in ireland ... surly similar equipment/thechnology is used on both sides of the boarder that it couldn't be possable to implement an unmertered service ... it simply a case of eircom holding all the cards and screwing us for every penny thay can get ... why ? because they are geting away with it ... why not ...

I'm really surprised that being a customer of ericom's for 15 odd years doesnt merrit anything! like getting a DACS box of the line is impossible without paying ...

I cant even understand why in the mean time they couldn't @ least do something for us similar to SNL ... I'm sure it would be cheeper for them than it was for esat ? after all like somebody said ... local calls used to be free in ireland @ one time after paying for 30mins and the system has been upgrade a lot since then ...

Why is it that we've paided way more than our eu conterparts and have nothing to show for our investment ?

I'm totaly disgusted to be honest ...

Outdated! but here some info on corss boarder telecomms stuff - http://www.qub.ac.uk/ccbs/mapict.html

Advertisement