Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL say September ...

Options
  • 26-07-2001 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Taken from http://interactive.iol.ie/today/techstories/displaytechstory.cfm?id=8629 :
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">"The outlook for the company is very positive. We are on track to roll out our new digital service in September and meet our obligations"</font>

wow, I think NTL might mean it this time ! Not often do you see a company attempting the same thing twice, without meaning it, although I think they will be a fair bit more cautious with the roll-out now ....

Personally, I think its great news, as I play a lot of Online games, and cable is by far, the best way to play online (least latency, lowest ping) biggrin.gif

NTL have said upto now that they may continue to upgrade "high-demand" areas, but no dates or details were given etc.. at least now they are now saying September, which is in direct competition with Eircon's ADSL !! although I have to admit, I am getting a fealing of DeshaVu smile.gif !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

What does "ROLL OUT" really mean? and what do they mean by Digital Service?

I have a feeling that they are talking about TV only ... they are hoping to supply digital channels (in non-interactive mode) via the present system.

Good stuff indeed, lets hope that "digital service" includes internet too.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Longfield:
    Good stuff indeed, lets hope that "digital service" includes internet too.</font>

I am almost certain that it does not ... this is a plan to comply with the requirement to provide Digital TV to a specified number of subscribers prior to a specific date specified in their franchise agreement. Notice that there is no reference to interactive services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by infomat:
    I am almost certain that it does not.../B]</font>

Me too. They are not under any regulatory obligation to roll out an internet access package, they are obliged to roll out Digital TV, that's set-top boxes, EPGs and more channels - not Internet access. Sorry.

K

Digital service is TV only over existing cable.

• Advertisement

Pretty much what i thought, will people here please stop getting me excited biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Longfield (edited 26-07-2001).]

didnt we all knwo september anyway, thats their deadline,
    and dont jump up and down, you have no idea were they will release it, could be only dublin and jsut the south side, you can be sure it wont be much more then the 100000 homes they have to do, they have no obilgation to supply it to all their areas, only 400000 homes by 2005, and you can be sure the areas of high demand, will be very few, and probably south dublin to because of adsl,

personaly im not getting to excited as you wont be able to watch two things at once are record something and watch something else,

pretty damn ****e

God-damn creaming

NTL has a license to provide services in cartain areas. The main and most important one is the Cable TV (meaning here, coaxial cable).

They've got a September deadline at the most, after negotiating it with the ODTR, due to they were very delyed on it.

If they roll-out any Internet service, it has to wait first for Digital TV to happen first. What they'll do it's to send the signals compressed down the lines (Coaxial Cable) highly compressed, meaning that then you need a Set-Top Box to decompress it.

They won't upgrade any area, or cable unless they have to. If they can use the old calbe network for their purpose and simulate that they've offered Digital TV (even that nobody signs on it), they'll get away with the ODTR who, remember, has less power to rule than a Garda to have weapons.

Still we have to wait as usually.

Ireland , EU e-Commerce Hub! HA, my **** it's better HUB.

JamworkS

very ture, instead of upgrading you to two way,if you cable is to bad, they will just do some were else, they have no commitment to do all of their areas which is bad, they wont provide broadband without upgradings the cable which wont happen on a wide scale for years, in fact places like galway are totaly marked for just one way, some reports say anyway,

maybe we with get lucky and they will take up llu and provide us with adsl, the odtr did say one other party besides esat had registered with her for llu

• Advertisement

mnnnnnn hope they get it right this time and actually meet there own deadline , if not i hope they r sued (is that spelt right?)

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Barra:
    mnnnnnn hope they get it right this time and actually meet there own deadline , if not i hope they r sued (is that spelt right?)</font>

Spelled right :-).

And if they don't roll out the digital tv service (NOT cable modems...they aren't legally forced to do this), the ODTR will fine them or get on their backs somehow (I remember exclusivity licenses being mentioned).

E

Advertisement