Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emulation .. for Dreamcast .. or others

• 03-06-2001 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Lads any one know if there is a good emulator for the dream cast or.. Ps or nintendo 64.. just wondering.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Emulators that run these machines are emulators that run on said machines and emulate others ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

-=Ivan=-

[This message has been edited by Ivan (edited 03-06-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Hmmm, I dont know about most of the other systems but I know that Bleem is awesome. Its an emulator for the Ps-One on the PC.
    It even works with copied (errr...backed-up) CD's of playstation games. check www.bleem.com for it, I dont know what ver their in now, or if they even still make it
    - it was a long time ago since I saw it.

IvAn
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Bleem! emulates the PSone quite well, but nowhere near perfectly. You're probably better off grabbing a second hand PSX, really.

There is no Dreamcast emulator that works at all, and there is CERTAINLY no PS2 emulator.

UltraHLE does the N64 but development has stopped and it doesn't really do a great job. N64s are dirt cheap these days and games like Zelda are going for £6.99 in HMV anyway.

Older systems like the SNES are emulated perfectly, check out retro sites for information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

there are loads of N64 emu's all with various compatibility lists. i recommend EmuHQ's N64 page for links to all the emu's ( http://www.emuhq.com/emulators/n64.htm )

as for PSX, there are quite a few free one's (you have to pay for bleem! and VGS).
    psxemu, is probably the best site for PSX emu news and stuff. ( http://www.psxemu.com/ )

for general emulation news try Zophars Domain ( www.zophar.net ). This has links to all 'next-generation' and retro emulatiors and includes news and stuff about new releases.

hope this helps.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">"Eleven plus two = Twelve plus one"</font>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bugs

Tut tut tut shinji, you're quite wrong.
    There is a DC emulator, its called dreamer and whereas it only currently supports demo's made by ppl with too much time on their hands, there is a few pics of it running some comercial games but the author says its far too early in development, thankfully its not another bullsh_t emulator but then again , its a DC one and no one in the emu community cares.

PSX emu is ok tho, but both bleem and VGS are terrible , bleem in particular. I can't believe they charge for what is probably the worst emulator in its class compared to ANY free emu.
    VGS tends to be more simple but a little better.
    epsxe is by far and away the best of the bunch , coded by Zsknight, who worked on zsnes for years. Its uses a plugin idea which means that the games usually run excellent for your specific gfx card.
    Harder to use if you're a dope but so much better if you dig playing console games on a pc, which is wrong, its evil.... smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">There is a DC emulator, its called dreamer and whereas it only currently supports demo's made by ppl with too much time on their hands</font>

Dunno about you, but I class an emulator as "something that plays software designed for another system". Which that one doesn't. Maybe it will sometime, but PCs are far too slow atm to emulate the DC flat out anyway.

VGS works a treat, I use it for screengrabs an odd time. Why the hell you'd want to play PSone titles on your PC is beyond me anyway, a PSX will set you back all of 20 quid these days second hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bugs

Well dreamer will run the comercial games at some stage ( the author has the right idea, i just guess he needs more power )

VGS tends to run psx games pretty well but definetly no better than a psx runs them, epsxe is free and considering it makes the games look a damn sight better (bleem can do this but it invariably needs like a 2Ghz processor :P) its well worth it.

That said , i'm definetly not into playing console games on a pc, it just never feels right, even with a decent pad i just prefer the telly and the lack of issues that come with the correct machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,582 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

On a side note, wasn't bleem supposed to be released on the Dreamcast? What happened to that?

Fear can sometimes be a useful emotion. For instance, let's say you're an astronaught on the moon and you fear that your partner has been turned into Dracula. The next time he goes out for the moon pieces, wham! You just slam the door behind him and blast off. He might call you on the radio and say he's not Dracula, but you just say, "Think again, bat man."
    hello.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭RAY

lads what kinda pc would u have to have to run a ps1 emulator and how big are the games ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

http://www.bleem.com/html/products/bleemcastfaq.html
    They're making it in one-game paks from now on frown.gif Boo urns.

[This message has been edited by ObeyGiant (edited 05-06-2001).]

I know people that use emulators for PS1 games and they cant go back to a normal playstation again.I didnt believe this untill they should me some screenshots and i was dumbfounded .The game looked realy clear .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

obey giant..are you saying boo or boo urns?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">VGS tends to run psx games pretty well but definetly no better than a psx runs them, epsxe is free and considering it makes the games look a damn sight better (bleem can do this but it invariably needs like a 2Ghz processor :P) its well worth it.</font>

Yes, but I only use PC-based emulators for taking screenshots so I don't really want it upgrading the graphics smile.gif

I really couldn't play PS games on a PC, it'd do my head in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Thrasher

I was saying Boo-urns....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Firefox

Does anybody know if the PAL Version of Bleemcast is in the shops as I haven't seen it anywhere here in Ireland.

I like the improvement on MGS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

bleem in the shops? Good luck finding it. I'd say the only way you'd get it would be online. www.bleem.com

If there's one thing I hate, it's people.

Advertisement