Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare and Inishturk islands get grant aided satellite internet

Options
  • 25-07-2001 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/finance/2001/0725/fin14.htm

Minister for Public Enterprise, Ms O'Rourke has launched a satellite internet link for Clare and Inishturk islands. The pilot project involves using the V SAT Internet system to provide high-speed access by satellite.

"Three companies have been selected for grant-aid to provide it at the chosen locations: Cedare Software (Ireland) in Castlebar, Co Mayo, Navan Education Centre in Co Meath and the West Offaly Task Force in Co Offaly. "

"The Minister said the Government was committed to rolling out quality internet access throughout the State. "No areas should be at a disadvantage," she said yesterday."

HHmmmmmmm!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

No areas should be at a disadvantage," she said yesterday."
    *****, what about north dublin, i want sat interent, what about me,
    you talks this ****e while eircum plan to limit adsl to half a city,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Don't talk out your bottom Gladiator, this is a good thing. You might *want* VSAT, but at least you have some form of Internet service already. The Islands don't have it, so the Minister has found a way to let them have it. Would you begrudge them that?

adam

no I was just listening to her on the news last night, talking about what a shame it was outrage telecom infrastructure in the west is so bad, and something will just have to be done for the poor sheep farmers,

well sorry but I think the outrage is the ****e infrastructure were its in most demand,

she was talking like somebody was picking on the west, were all in the same situation and she shouldn't pretend otherwise

Gladiator, what are you on about???
    Just because this is the first time that Dublin does not get a service at first should mean that everybody in D. goes ape**** now???
    Be happy that the first steps are taken by a Minister to find a solution to get everybody in Ireland online.
    And as the solution is satellite based the whole thing should spread quickly - after the initial trial phase.
    So, IMO a little bit of cautious optimism and greatfulness should be more appropriate now.

she was acting like everywere in ireland but the west have great telecom access, which is what i have a problem with

• Advertisement

No, most of Ireland has a pretty poor access to Internet products and services, at least relative to other European countries. However some areas in the West of Ireland have *no* access to products and services. I'll say it again - would you begrudge them that?

adam

i dont they could have ntl cable coming out there ass for all i care, its was the ministers atitude to the problem i found so offencive

Well im sure someone in the west of Ireland would find your attitude offensive.

I say fair play, its about time that these areas get some sort of access.

how can they, if they dont have internet,

For the 5 ****ing time ive no problem with them haveing internet, i do have a problem with the minister pertending the problem is limited to the west

The problem of having NO internet AT ALL is mostly limited to the west. Really ultra crappy phonelines that most of the time cant hold a 19200 connection if anything at all.

Youve got a modem and a half decent phoneline. Thats miles better than most of them.

• Advertisement

yea true, and my heart goes out to them, but
    lets not pertend there the only ones it just really ****ed me off, what she was saying last night, anybody listening to it would get the impression there was a huge amounth of investment along the east coast

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 25-07-2001).]

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Gladiator...
    As a Mayo man I find you to be a complete toss pot. You lack any coherence in your arguement and come off as quite a muppet.

Let me tell you a little bit about my internet access at home...
    It sucks. I have *at most* a 28.8 connection and that's a very good day!

You seem to think that the Minister is showing favouritism to the West - that isn't the case as there was NO internet access AT ALL in some of these areas.

Just because somewhere that ISN'T Dublin is getting something at a subsidised rate (not first, you can get it too you muppet), you're up in arms and not thinking straight.
    Also, you're harping on about the DSL stuff - Eircom are NOT a semi-state any more - the government has nothing to do with the running of it.

Get some skillz.

Actually, I had a crack at bringing that V-Sat to everyone who's on these boards cause I know the Boss of Cedar in Castlebar (I used to work there and he gave me a shout because he thought I could make it go).
    We were going to package it to gamers, but the price was too much (something like €1600 installation) and latency too high (500 ms).

I'm still thinking about getting it at home anyway - it'd be nice to be able to download at a deacent rate!

I'll get more exact details and post them here is anyone's interested.

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So Bob Hoskins was about to roll a spliff when in walks Dana with her 3 foot Bong
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    When the Beefy King arrives, I shall be paying homage with Puunack The Receiver in a haze of green curry.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">...anybody listening to it would get the impression there was a huge amounth of investment along the east coast

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 25-07-2001).][/B]</font>

If memory serves me right, Eircom are doing (A)DSL testing at the moment. Where? In DUBLIN!

NTL, who seem to have the only 24/7 system in operation in the country, are operating it where? In DUBLIN!

Pardon me for thinking that the East Coast and Dublin get the benefits/options of technology long before anyone else!

More power to the Islanders. They're entitled to have the net as much as anyone else.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kharn:
    Gladiator...
    As a Mayo man I find you to be a complete toss pot. You lack any coherence in your arguement and come off as quite a muppet.

Let me tell you a little bit about my internet access at home...
    It sucks. I have *at most* a 28.8 connection and that's a very good day!

You seem to think that the Minister is showing favouritism to the West - that isn't the case as there was NO internet access AT ALL in some of these areas.

Just because somewhere that ISN'T Dublin is getting something at a subsidised rate (not first, you can get it too you muppet), you're up in arms and not thinking straight.
    Also, you're harping on about the DSL stuff - Eircom are NOT a semi-state any more - the government has nothing to do with the running of it.

Get some skillz.

Actually, I had a crack at bringing that V-Sat to everyone who's on these boards cause I know the Boss of Cedar in Castlebar (I used to work there and he gave me a shout because he thought I could make it go).
    We were going to package it to gamers, but the price was too much (something like €1600 installation) and latency too high (500 ms).

I'm still thinking about getting it at home anyway - it'd be nice to be able to download at a deacent rate!

</font>

and you wonder why i dont want mayo people on the net,
    tongue.giftongue.gif
    believe what you want,

and ntl have stopped there cable service and we will believe eircoms adsl when we see it

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">As a Mayo man I find you to be a complete toss pot. You lack any coherence in your arguement and come off as quite a muppet.</font>

I guess I'm showing my age, but I hate the fact that "muppet" has become an insulting term, it really gets on my wick. I really wish people would stop misrepresenting the poor Muppets - they were a cute, lovable bunch of cuddly little sods that'd whip Gladiator's butt if it came down to a showdown. The Muppets were cool. Is this one of those "hot is cool" and "bad is good" things? Gods, I'm only 29 like, I'm not *that* old surely?

adam

id rather not talk about the Muppet wiping incident, it brings back painful memories

o and yea your old

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Delphi91:
    If memory serves me right, Eircom are doing (A)DSL testing at the moment. Where? In DUBLIN!
    </font>

Correction: South Dublin, ADSL... HA, next year till North dublin sees it, at least.... nomatter what anyone says
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    NTL, who seem to have the only 24/7 system in operation in the country, are operating it where? In DUBLIN!
    </font>

Correction: South Dublin

We north dubliners are just as off as the rest of the island !! lol

correction either of them are anywere as neither of them have launched a service

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gladiator:
    o and yea your old[/B]</font>

Least I'm not a twat, eh Gladiator?

adam

yea but you got a small willy tongue.gif

• Advertisement

LOLOLOL, ah man, the responces in this topic just crack me up so much biggrin.gif !!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kharn:
    </font>

Yes!!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:
    Don't talk out your bottom Gladiator, this is a good thing. You might *want* VSAT, but at least you have some form of Internet service already. The Islands don't have it, so the Minister has found a way to let them have it. Would you begrudge them that?</font>

Good for them, all they need now is electricity and a few computers smile.gif Ohh Im mean... smile.gif

Kharn - get that vsat info pls. quite interesting it sounds indeed.. Maybe your pal would even be interested in setting up a few national offices.. eh, what, hmm.. bring the goods to the people as it were..

[This message has been edited by rymus (edited 25-07-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

you talks this ****e while eircum plan to limit adsl to half a city,

</font>

and you wonder why i dont want mayo people on the net,

</font>
    yea but you got a small willy tongue.gif</font>

Above quotes from THIS thread alone. Kindly stop posting this kind of utter crap please, Gladiator, before further action needs to be taken against you.

You really don't want to be banned from boards.ie (again), do you? I've sent you a polite email already within the past while asking you to calm down. I really don't have the time to trawl through the board deleting stupid posts and correcting you time and again, so PLEASE take heed of that email and refrain from posting this kind of garbage.

Bard
    Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Mm, vsat sounds nice (except for the manky 500ms ping). Any idea if they plan to make it available all over the country, dav?

South East/Kilkenny here smile.gif

- Munch

i didnt start calling people muppets,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

i didnt start calling people muppets,</font>

That's quite true, but you certainly merited being called a muppet yourself.

Stop posting crap now Gladiator, please.

... and let's keep this thread on topic, please. I, for one, think it's brilliant to see Co. Clare getting decent Internet access at last.

Bard
    Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

i never said i didnt want clare to have the internet, i said the minister wouldnt be talkign crap about the rest of ireland,

but i see ill not win this one, so good day to you

I have been aware of the trials for a while now and did have a chat with someone involved behind the scenes who gave strict instructions not to go live witht the info until after the minister had announced it. So all I got to do now is find the damn piece of paper I wrote it all down on!!!! It is two way satellite and it is being aimed at businesses primarily, but whats to stop afew people chipping in together? I will find the info and post it asap.

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stephen:
    Mm, vsat sounds nice (except for the manky 500ms ping). Any idea if they plan to make it available all over the country, dav?

South East/Kilkenny here smile.gif

</font>

There is no technical reason why VSAT technology shouldn't be available anywhere in the country -- the satellite footprint covers most of Europe and beyond.

Currently I'm waiting for Tiscali's VSAT satellite Internet, however if I could support the Irish economy and get it from a local provider, that would be even better!

So, what's the phone number of that software company based in Mayo? I'm just a 45 minute drive away from where they are based. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Urban Weigl (edited 25-07-2001).]

Advertisement